Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V  (Read 16143 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V
« on: October 20, 2014, 06:35:50 am »

Honda's ubiquitous compact crossover gets a mid-cycle refresh.
Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:03:49 am »
Other parts of the world get CR-Vs with gears.

Why can't we have gears too?

It sounds like all that extra engine performance for 2015 gets converted into extra mooing.

At least they ought to offer a Holstein paint scheme to compliment the noise.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:49 am »
I dunno, no gears might be better. I have no experience with the current CR-V but I rented the previous one for a couple weeks and I thought the drivetrain was awful. Way too much downshifting on even the slightest inclines, e.g. on the highway between Calgary and Edmonton.

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:30 am »
I dunno, no gears might be better. I have no experience with the current CR-V but I rented the previous one for a couple weeks and I thought the drivetrain was awful. Way too much downshifting on even the slightest inclines, e.g. on the highway between Calgary and Edmonton.
Good point. It must be the Honda 4 s. I have a friend with a Civic and the thing is constantly downshifting on slight inclines as well which makes it seem underpowered, or maybe it just is underpowered. 

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:34:09 am »
Our current CRV a '14 has blown us away, the mileage bye math is 7.2 lp100 km on very hilly and windy terrain.
But I do not think I'd buy another now that the CRV has a CVT.  :shuffle:
 I just wish the rattles would stop lol

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:25 am »
Nice evolution for a well built appliance.
The exterior design is much improved. Good job, Honda.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
This looks like a decent upgrade but those wheels have to go. Absolutely hideous looking.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 01:04:37 pm »
Nice evolution for a well built appliance.
The exterior design is much improved. Good job, Honda.

:iagree: 

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:50:04 pm »

Honda's ubiquitous compact crossover gets a mid-cycle refresh.
Read More...

From straight on, it looks like a Chevy.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 04:05:57 pm »
I still find the D-pillar awkward, but otherwise it looks like Honda has put some real effort into the CR-V.  Good to see better fuel economy and as CVTs become widespread, we'll see them get better and hopefully long term reliability will be there too.

I still love the Forester.  CR-V vs. Forester:

Subaru wins:

Full time AWD smokes the CR-V's slip and grip by giving you AWD in corners, etc.
I prefer the exterior of the Subaru.
Foresters CVT is about as good as CVTs get.
Huge ground clearance

Honda wins:

Dealer network is better.
Interior feels spacious.
Might now be a class leader in fuel economy.

Washes:

Both depreciate very slowly - but Honda might be a quicker sale
Honda's CVT might now match the Subaru.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 04:13:49 pm »
Not being ones to rest on their laurels, Honda has taken the beloved CR-V and given it a significant mid-cycle refresh, addressing a number of key issues identified to be weak points against the competitors and making it more efficient, more functional and more confident on the road.
I disagree. Honda DOES rest on its laurels. They wait for there to be huge uproar about their 'new' refreshed product being a disappointment, THEN fix problems. If they testdrove their own vehicles before production, they would see the deficiencies. I see Hondas actions as akin to a highschool student writing an essay: proofread it and you'll have a decent product. Send out a slightly modified version of an essay you wrote last year without proofreading and you won't get as good a grade.

The new powertrain sounds excellent. The new headlights look much better. Sounds like interior materials are better. BUT, that shiny black plastic trim in the grille looks awful, the overuse of chrome on the back end is hideous, and using 18" wheels make this thing in higher trims a lower value proposition.

The CRV does a lot right and doesn't need Subaru's AWD system to sell. They do, however, need to actually be as reliable and trouble-free as their reputation would suggest. People don't buy hondas for how they look, fortunately. They buy them for value (resale and content), and this 2015 is a good step for Honda.

Shame about the Grille.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »
Not being ones to rest on their laurels, Honda has taken the beloved CR-V and given it a significant mid-cycle refresh, addressing a number of key issues identified to be weak points against the competitors and making it more efficient, more functional and more confident on the road.
I disagree. Honda DOES rest on its laurels. They wait for there to be huge uproar about their 'new' refreshed product being a disappointment, THEN fix problems. If they testdrove their own vehicles before production, they would see the deficiencies. I see Hondas actions as akin to a highschool student writing an essay: proofread it and you'll have a decent product. Send out a slightly modified version of an essay you wrote last year without proofreading and you won't get as good a grade.

The new powertrain sounds excellent. The new headlights look much better. Sounds like interior materials are better. BUT, that shiny black plastic trim in the grille looks awful, the overuse of chrome on the back end is hideous, and using 18" wheels make this thing in higher trims a lower value proposition.

The CRV does a lot right and doesn't need Subaru's AWD system to sell. They do, however, need to actually be as reliable and trouble-free as their reputation would suggest. People don't buy hondas for how they look, fortunately. They buy them for value (resale and content), and this 2015 is a good step for Honda.

Shame about the Grille.

I think they need to test drive their own vehicle prior to production, back to back with the competition.  That said, there are some vehicles where they didn't rest on their laurels (Accord, Odyssey).  I'd venture to say the Odyssey was miles ahead interior wise of the Sienna prior to the 2015 update.

I'd say maybe the CR-V and the Civic have been areas where they rested.  And almost all of the Acura brand.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:46 am »
I disagree. They let the Accord fall to sh!t before churning out a great product (which STILL lacks 60/40 split rear seats!!)!

The Odyssey was truly a gem, and still is, but there wasn't a lot of competition and they even added the 6-speed auto as an option only on the top-touring-trim. That's a stupid "option" akin to Lexus offering the 8-speed only on RWD models, but 6-speed only for AWD, or 8-speed in F-sport. These mechanical benefits are not what I'd call "trim" pieces befitting asking for more. The F-sport models aren't like Impreza-WRX, 335-M3, etc changes, but are priced as such.

My brother just bought a Sienna 95% because of the AWD availability. They also didn't feel like the Odyssey was a better van than the Sienna.

The Civic and Accord, and the CRV - the best sellers, should always be updated to stay the best.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 11:08:53 am »
I think I own one of the poster children for Honda resting on its laurels, but then doing something about it.

The 2012 Civic was rather harshly criticized, and very quickly they brought some changes to the 2013.

Obviously, the best things to do is to have a class leading product with every redesign/update. Failing that, I think Honda did the next best thing, which is to scramble to do something about it!

How often have we bashed GM for bringing out a class competitive product, and then letting it languish past mediocrity?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36:12 am »
Don't get me wrong: I'm not intending to argue against Honda. I like that they've made changes and address issues without offending their previous customers by making radical changes (cough cough Toyota!).

I think the new CRV makes some serious changes - but  the exterior styling doesn't do anything for me. new powertrain = major complaint rectified.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:51 am »
I liked the first gen CR-V, looked like a proper SUV....they continually made it uglier, bloated and blobby over the generations. This one doesnt look too bad, but that slip and grip AWD was horrid and those rims....yeeesh. Look like a Canadian Tire special.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »
I also miss the CR-V with gears.

My coworker has one like the above, 2002 I believe 5 speed manual.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:30 pm »
 How  anyone can condone the rear end of this hack is beyond my imagination..Thanks  Jack

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 07:18:03 am »
How  anyone can condone the rear end of this hack is beyond my imagination..Thanks  Jack

I do agree with you 200%!

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 07:23:23 am »
Like many others, a relative of mine who needed to add 1l of oil every 5k km in her new 2014 Subaru Forester was told by Subaru that they need to open the engine (40k km)...
Is this what I call reliable??
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:27:12 am by jpd »