Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible  (Read 11866 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »
^^Same here.  Work arounds and shortcuts don't fly here.

???

How is this a workaround or a shortcut? He gives you all the information in one place, then divides it a further half dozen ways, then gives you the tools to make your own list any way you want it - "These tables are now sortable, so you can rank sports cars, coupes, GTs, roadsters, and convertibles any which way you like. "

So why is more information and more flexibility "a shortcut?" Why not tell us the rrocket-approved way to present the data?

"Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
― Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People

::)

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things"
-Winston Churchill
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:40:34 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »
so whats the answer?...

make a different chart for each "segment" that you decide? here's a chart with just the beetle... and here is one with convertibles... and here is another for cars over 100g's... and one for muscle cars...

i think gcbc is one of the best sites i've ever read for car sales information. cars aren't as compartmentalized as many other products. he works with what he's got.

anyway, back on topic.......

BAH buh BOOOO... (noise i make everytime i see one of these in yellow... mimic the transformer noise in a mocking way)... they are all about style and i like the style (in another colour)... too bad about the rest of the car and how that style functions.

great car for that 'merica crowd who want to be the center of attention.. and think that this car will get them laid.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »
so whats the answer?...

make a different chart for each "segment" that you decide? here's a chart with just the beetle... and here is one with convertibles... and here is another for cars over 100g's... and one for muscle cars...

i think gcbc is one of the best sites i've ever read for car sales information. cars aren't as compartmentalized as many other products. he works with what he's got.

Oh I love the site.  One of my favorites for research and reference.

But a Beetle (or an ELR, or an EOS) as sporty cars?  Not by a long shot.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »
I don't mind lumping them all together as "sporty" cars. A Beetle GSR is definitely sporty, and so is any convertible. A sporty car has never been the same as a sports car.

Maybe he should have just called the category "Cars That Are More Interesting Than A Beige Corolla." ;)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »
I don't mind lumping them all together as "sporty" cars. A Beetle GSR is definitely sporty, and so is any convertible. A sporty car has never been the same as a sports car.

Maybe he should have just called the category "Cars That Are More Interesting Than A Beige Corolla." ;)

Substitute "Sporty Cars" with "Coupes/Convertibles"...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:02 pm »

A Honda Civic SI coupe  is sporty.  Likely sportier than a Beetle.  Yet it isn't on that particular list.  But a CR-Z is?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:24 pm »

Substitute "Sporty Cars" with "Coupes/Convertibles"...

There are plenty several coupes not on that list....

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 08:16:10 pm »

A Honda Civic SI coupe  is sporty.  Likely sportier than a Beetle.  Yet it isn't on that particular list.  But a CR-Z is?

they don't split up civics... all lumped in together, probably Forte, too, right? I was surprised to see the 200 convertible on this list for the same reason...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 08:18:13 pm »

they don't split up civics... all lumped in together, probably Forte, too, right? I was surprised to see the 200 convertible on this list for the same reason...

But they do split the Lexus IS into IS-F and IS-C?

See what I mean...silly and inconsistent.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »
^^ Probably depends on the manufacturer and the information they make available. If Lexus splits up the numbers for IS-F and IS-C, good on them. Same for Chrysler if they give 200 convertible numbers. But if Honda only gives sales numbers for the Civic overall, what is the guy supposed to do? Just give up and not do a list at all because it's impossible to be 100% consistent?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 08:31:40 pm »
? Just give up and not do a list at all because it's impossible to be 100% consistent?

No..apparently you just give up and throw them all into one category and call it "sporty".   :rofl2:

Maybe he should call AJAC.  Those guys have experience putting cars into odd categories.    :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:35:11 pm by rrocket »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 08:40:13 pm »
"Biatch, biatch, biatch" ~ Abe Simpson

He gets the data the manufacturer's give him. Hyundai, by way of example, doesn't split up the Genesis coupe and sedan and VW doesn't break out the GTI from the Golf. He can't do anything about it.

Jesus, it's like listening to a knitting bee gossip about Aunt Hattie.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 08:41:42 pm »

He gets the data the manufacturer's give him. Hyundai, by way of example, doesn't split up the Genesis coupe and sedan and VW doesn't break out the GTI from the Golf. He can't do anything about it.

Oh really?  Why is the Hyundai Coupe on the list and not the sedan?  Are you now saying he's guessing at numbers?   :stick:

Or are you just talking out of your a$$?   ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 08:42:48 pm »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
You know with modern php pkugins those graphs could be made on the fly...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »

Oh really?  Why is the Hyundai Coupe on the list and not the sedan?  Are you now saying he's guessing at numbers?   :stick:

Look at the Hyundai Genesis US sales data. They don't break out the sedan and coupe sales. Apparently, Hyundai Canada do, but I don't pay too much attention to this market.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 08:51:51 pm »

Look at the Hyundai Genesis US sales data. They don't break out the sedan and coupe sales. Apparently, Hyundai Canada do, but I don't pay too much attention to this market.

Something similar must occur with the WRX I'm guessing?  It shows up on the US "sporty" chart, but not the CDN one.  Plus some other cars missing from the CDN one.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 08:57:22 pm »
Something similar must occur with the WRX I'm guessing?  It shows up on the US "sporty" chart, but not the CDN one.  Plus some other cars missing from the CDN one.

I presume so. Then BMW turn around and separate the 3 and 4 series, even though some of the 4 series have 4 doors, some have two doors and at least one of the 3 series is really a cross over. Makes comparing like-for-like pretty difficult.

Northernridge

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »
The steady stream of raving performance reviews for the Camaro from seemingly all sources is causing me to actually admire the car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 09:16:02 pm »
Everyone agrees: The performance of the chassis is giant killing.  There are some amazing engines.  GM allowed the engineers to use C7-Z06 bits in the Z-28 - meaning some serious goods are in there.  The Camaro has evolved into a very serious car that is much more capable than it's borderline cartoon looks would suggest.