Author Topic: A good used SUV/CUV for surf roadtrip?  (Read 33515 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: A good used SUV/CUV for surf roadtrip?
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »
Good question. Hopefully the SUV or van would already have cross bars - if it was a 4-door of some sort, we could also easily fit board-specific soft racks - very cheap and versatile. If it was a pickup with a bed cap/cover, that would maybe complicate things, yeah.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 09:35:39 pm »

:rofl2: :stick:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
along rrockets line.... wrangler unlimited? spend big bucks, but sell for big bucks. as long as you are a better buyer than the next person, you might be able to get all your money out of it.

Hey thanks for weighing in. I love Wranglers but definitely a bigger outlay than my buddy would be comfortable with, even if he could recoup later on. Correct me if I'm wrong but it also doesn't seem like an ideal tool for a Mexican road trip? (MPG's, limited cargo given the size, very attractive to thieves)

as john posted... just make it look badass! get some kind of cartel paraphernalia in it so no one touches it... they'll think it's some drug kingpin...

nice choices up there guys! what about a kei truck? http://www.minitruckcanada.com/classifieds/140604-mitsubishi-delica/index.html
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 02:33:57 pm »
GAHHHH! I just wrote a long reply and it got deleted  >:(

Loving all the van suggestions guys. The jacked-up Econoline is intriguing, but seems a bit too big for what we want. The Previa looks awesome - its that one jacked up too? Will look into it as an option.

MrThompson, I respect - nay - admire your love for the Chrysler Magic Wagon ;) Not sure if the lack of clearance will be a deal-breaker, but I think it might be.

tooscoops: kei truck is a great idea! Hadn't considered those and have been curious about them since moving out here and seeing a bunch on the road. Not cheap though. $1900 seemed like an amazing deal until I realized the link you sent was for one still in Japan ;) Still definitely worth looking into.

Update: spoke to my buddy this AM and he is going to look at his friend's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6. It's got ~180,000km's and could probably get it for $4,500. It obviously goes against the whole fuel economy requirement, but the good price could sweeten the deal a bit. Will see what happens.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 02:44:50 pm »
Re the Previa..

http://jalopnik.com/5963648/the-toyota-previa-is-the-greatest-minivan-ever

Mid-engined, supercharged, AWD...its missing a manual transmission, therefore it sucks.  :P

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »
Re the Previa..

http://jalopnik.com/5963648/the-toyota-previa-is-the-greatest-minivan-ever

Dude. That was fantastic. I had no idea they were that awesome. Alright, i'll start doing some research.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 04:20:43 pm »
Nissan Xterra. You can get an early 2000s for around $3-5k these days manual or automatic. Built in roof rack with additional storage up there to stow your wet gear. Proper transfer case so you can keep it in 2 wheel drive mode 95% of the time.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 04:37:18 pm »
Nissan Xterra. You can get an early 2000s for around $3-5k these days manual or automatic. Built in roof rack with additional storage up there to stow your wet gear. Proper transfer case so you can keep it in 2 wheel drive mode 95% of the time.

I like that idea, thanks. Bad on gas but clearly if buddy is looking at the Jeep, maybe he's open to it. Thanks!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2014, 06:36:08 am »
Don't forget the Previa has a built in fridge option ..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

We had a 1992 Previa.  It WAS the best van on the planet.  If you can find one (and good :censor: luck with that), then it is 100% the proper van for the job.

...but the Xterra will fetch a pretty penny in Mehico.

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 02:01:28 pm »
E series Ford Van as pictured above? No manual Tranny but out in BC you might even find one with a 4x4 conversion.

Should be dirt cheap and there's a ready market of tradesmen looking for them.

What about a VW Vanagon or Eurovan? Find a Vanagon with a subaru powerplant dropped into it and you should have a good mix of usability and reliability.

Caprice Wagon? Preferably one with the Lt-1. You'd probably fit a surfboard into one. Should be reasonably reliable and can be worked on in lots of places.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 01:06:19 pm »
E series Ford Van as pictured above? No manual Tranny but out in BC you might even find one with a 4x4 conversion.

Should be dirt cheap and there's a ready market of tradesmen looking for them.

What about a VW Vanagon or Eurovan? Find a Vanagon with a subaru powerplant dropped into it and you should have a good mix of usability and reliability.

Caprice Wagon? Preferably one with the Lt-1. You'd probably fit a surfboard into one. Should be reasonably reliable and can be worked on in lots of places.

Hey, thanks for weighing in. I like all those ideas!

UPDATE: well, it looks like we are now going to be flying down to MEX and not road tripping after all - buddy couldn't get his act together and got tired looking for cars. Instead we'll be buying or renting something down there. This has all been extremely helpful as it will be good to know when we look for cars down there. Will keep you all posted here with what we end up with. Again, muchos muchos gracias for everyone's input!!

Dan

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 12:14:44 am »
Too bad you are flying -- was just gonna chime in with either imported from Japan turbodiesel Hilux Surf (aka Forerunner) or Mitsubishi Delica turbodiesel 4WD van ( or similar Toyota, Nissan, etc.).

Two Delicas for just under 10k here.  You would have had little trouble selling one of these in  Mexico and breaking even...

http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-for-sale/vehicle-type.asp?CategoryID=4&Type=Passenger%20Vans
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:20:38 am by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 07:56:58 am »
Too bad you are flying -- was just gonna chime in with either imported from Japan turbodiesel Hilux Surf (aka Forerunner) or Mitsubishi Delica turbodiesel 4WD van ( or similar Toyota, Nissan, etc.).

Two Delicas for just under 10k here.  You would have had little trouble selling one of these in  Mexico and breaking even...

http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-for-sale/vehicle-type.asp?CategoryID=4&Type=Passenger%20Vans

Thanks, Scaerio. I don't remember if it was you who had originally suggested those JDM imports, but I agree they're a great idea. For sure, wouldn't have had much trouble selling in Mex. I do wonder if the right-hand-drive aspect would've been an issue. I also wonder if the "Federales" would have hassled/extorted us for having a RHD vehicle. That's probably just paranoia  :P Thanks again for weighing in.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 12:27:25 pm »
UPDATE: Hola, from Mexico! We sorted out our wheels a short while ago. The first week we got here we ended up renting a Nissan March - maybe one size smaller than a Versa but an impressively resilient little bugger, taking all sorts of abuse from potholes, speed bumps, errant board straps and strong crosswinds. I’m just glad it wasn’t my credit card we used for the deposit ;)

In all honesty it was a great little runabout and, as with a lot of these newer sub-compacts, it had a surprising amount of interior room, even traveling 4-strong.

One week later we became proud co-owners (along with a local friend here) of “Diablo Blanco”, a well-worn white on blue (really, white on blue? very ballsy of you, Ford of the 1990’s) ’97 Explorer.

Apologies for the bad quality photos below but hopefully it indicates the, er, fairly well-worn condition of the Explorer. But aside from a couple of minor electrical issues, it’s already proven to be a fantastic surf rig. Plenty of room and compliant suspension with enough travel for potholes and speed bumps, and the size is just the right side of unwieldy for negotiating the narrow village roads.

It ain’t a Range Rover or a JDM Mitsubishi camper van, or the others that were defintely appealing and intriguing options suggested above, but it turns out it made the most sense to just get here and find something that was local, and only after we understood what we really needed it for. For the record, SUV's and trucks are definitely the way to go down here - the roads are crap. Anyhow, thanks again everyone for your help and input - it was greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:50:22 pm by lebowski »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 12:57:44 pm »
Dude, that's :censor: incredible!  Nice!!!!!!!!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:27 pm »
Thats freaking awesome buddy!! Good on you for having the stones to go on an adventure like this.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2014, 01:05:34 pm »
Awesome man! The Nissan "March" looks like the Micra sold in Canada.

Stay safe!

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:54 pm »
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words. It's been a great time and will indeed continue keeping safe; this skinny Canuck ain't built for Mexican jail :P

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 01:34:29 pm »
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words. It's been a great time and will indeed continue keeping safe; this skinny Canuck ain't built for Mexican jail :P

Or in a mass grave, or dissolved in canisters...