Author Topic: Hi! Newbie from Toronto  (Read 6038 times)

Offline Ed_Thomas

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Rover 400
Hi! Newbie from Toronto
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »
Hi everybody.

I'm Eduardo and I came from Portugal 3 months ago.

For that reason, I already have a G license but I'll only buy a car in January - I hope to find a good Mazda RX-8, a car that I've been dreaming of for a while. The insurance here in Toronto is horribly expensive...and I'm still figuring out the steps to buy from a private seller.

Any feedback on that car is appreciated.

I left my first car behind, something that actually hasn't been sold in North America - a humble Rover 400, based on Honda's underpinnings but with specific trim, some changes on the exterior styling and its own range of engines.

I've been a car maniac since long ago and I've done a couple things to my own. Here's how it was when it arrived home, in 2010:

It had a difficult life and it has its scars, but nowadays it's looking like this. Mind you, it's a 16 year old car and has clocked around 164 000 kms:

The most interesting thing I've done to it was the soundproofing - doors, floor, firewall and other smaller things. A lot of work, but it did pay off. If you are interested, I can post a few pics.

The other thing was having it detailed - ok, just a one step polishing, all that I could afford at the time. It was the beginning of my passion for  paint correction - and a reason why I started working as a car detailer downtown.

Well, enough talk. I hope you read until the end...and I hope to find more crazy people like me here.  ;D

Take care,
Eduardo

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! Newbie from Toronto
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:30:05 pm »
Welcome!

I hope to go to Portugal sometime in the near future as my next Europe destination.

Interesting Rover. I didn't know it had Honda underpinnings. 

A few members here have had RX-8s, but the main complaints were poor gas mileage, no torque and rotary engine problems. Positives include the silky smooth rotary engine, balanced handling, practicality (4 doors) and everyday liveability.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »
yeah...  welcome.

gas is cheap, the car is surprising cheap , so you should get an RX8! 

power of small inline 4, gas consumption of a full size pick up!   very difficult to find that combination!  ;D

.  i'm just pulling your chain.   i lusted after RX8 for a long while too.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 06:46:14 pm »
Welcome Eduardo.  My suggestion is to spend a winter here first before deciding what to buy if that is feasible.

Offline Ed_Thomas

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:13:56 pm »
Thank you all.  :)

Yes, I already know the beast is thirsty...but then again, 230hp and 9000 rpm.  ;D

1 TSX, it's a very nice country to visit...and if you have enough money, it's a lovely country to live in, too. Lots of tradition, culture, good weather and great food.

The Rover is based on this Honda Civic, the MA/MB:

And that Civic is based on the Domani:

About spending a winter first, I'm only buying the car in (late) January. Anyway, it should be fine with winter tires...no? I don't really need it badly as my only means of getting to work.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:16:33 pm by Ed_Thomas »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:11:59 pm »
Love the pics!  ...but next time, you have to mask your licence plate # from ALL pics, not just the last bunch ;)

You will get lots of love in the Vacations 2014 section for Portugal.  It's a favoured locale for beaches, cuisine, and hospitality.

I've been to Porto and Lisbon, sadly nowhere else (yet).  Welcome!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:24:30 pm »
Welcome Eduardo,

Those cars are definitely unknowns on this side of the pond. As a new driver here I would steer you away from the RX8. Group of friend had Mustang GT V8 and one with a RX8, they got the same fuel economy. Many great cars can be had here with less costly operating costs that are plenty of fun.

I have traveled to continental Portugal Coimbra, Algarve, Lisbon and Fatima as well as San Miquel Azores. Still one of the better dollar values in Europe to travel to and great food and espresso.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:36:44 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »
Lady Noto's brother had an RX-8 on a 3-year lease.  Not a single issue with it, other than averaging about 13L/100km.  I'd assume that he did not drive it 'cautiously'.

He loved it and drove it for 4-seasons.  It is FWD and snow tires are sufficient.  If you have the financial means to operate it on the basis of that beefy fuel consumption, I say go for it.  Always enjoy that which you lust over so long as it doesn't put you into debt ;)

Offline Ed_Thomas

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 03:57:19 pm »
Love the pics!  ...but next time, you have to mask your licence plate # from ALL pics, not just the last bunch ;)

You will get lots of love in the Vacations 2014 section for Portugal.  It's a favoured locale for beaches, cuisine, and hospitality.

I've been to Porto and Lisbon, sadly nowhere else (yet).  Welcome!

Oh, I'm not worried. Nobody cares about a Rover 400 that is located across the ocean.  8)

Yes, the food is very good, and so are the beaches in Algarve or Alentejo (south). In the north the water is really cold. I used to go to this one, in Aveiro:

It's funny, because portuguese people always complain about everything (except when they're abroad, in that case their country is the best in the world). But it's a really nice country.

About the RX-8, I know the fuel consumption is horrible and I know there are easier cars to start with. I'm the kind of person who is ok with spending some time (and money...) on cars, so that's not a problem.

The only "problem", to a certain extent...is my wife.  ;D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »
Lady Noto's brother had an RX-8 on a 3-year lease.  Not a single issue with it, other than averaging about 13L/100km.  I'd assume that he did not drive it 'cautiously'.

He loved it and drove it for 4-seasons.  It is FWD and snow tires are sufficient.  If you have the financial means to operate it on the basis of that beefy fuel consumption, I say go for it.  Always enjoy that which you lust over so long as it doesn't put you into debt ;)

Come on man, the RX-8 is RWD.  :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:50:47 pm »
I could have sworn that it was FWD.  I guess I was wrong.  I'm entitled, every so often (twice/day).

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »
LOL.  Avoid RX8 IMO.  Lots of engine issues, forget fuel costs, OMG may as well drive a suburban. 

I remember barely making it from Ottawa to Oshawa on a tank of fuel and fuel was cheap then!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 04:43:12 pm »
I could have sworn that it was FWD.  I guess I was wrong.  I'm entitled, every so often (twice/day).

It will take some time for us to forgive you for this.  :-\  Perhaps some graft may ease the pain  :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 04:48:48 pm »
too bad. just had one traded in here two weeks ago... just ended up wholesaling it out... and it was well taken care of too.... after hearing about all the issues from any potential buyers of it though, i don't know how eager i would be to get into an rx8... at 104km, they were all wondering if the engine rebuild had been done yet....

welcome to the site and.. well.. welcome in general!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 04:49:49 pm »
Didn't Railton's require 2 engine replacements or something like that??  ???

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »
Didn't Railton's require 2 engine replacements or something like that??  ???
Yes, not to mention coils and plugs between those engine replacements. Coils FFS!!! Like it was a VW or something.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
It will take some time for us to forgive you for this.  :-\  Perhaps some graft may ease the pain  :)
What if...um...I...go visit Ron in December?  Will everyone forgive me then?

Then I just have to fly out to Alberta, and then I think huota wants me to go live in Finland with him...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:57 am »

Then I just have to fly out to Alberta, and then I think huota wants me to go live in Finland with him...

:rofl2: You are the new CTC :censor:!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 10:31:03 am »

...with that attitude, I'm going to come visit you in Oakville first!!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 06:22:27 pm »

...with that attitude, I'm going to come visit you in Oakville first!!

Homeland security has been alerted   :)