Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo (and Macan S Video)  (Read 11208 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo (and Macan S Video)
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 09:21:16 am »
I saw a dark grey Turbo S yesterday.  Its rear end didn't look that chunky like the picture shows.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo (and Macan S Video)
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 09:34:19 am »
GLA45 AMG vs. Macan S

Give them a score, and then start deducting for every dollar more the Macan costs.

I bet the Macan is "better" but I also bet it can't be better and not cost another 20K on the Mercedes when optioned up to match what Mercedes includes in its fully loaded $67K configuration.
I think the Macan is larger than the GLA.  More akin in size to the GLK.

This.   Is the Macan not larger than the GLA?  Seems like you're jumping classes there.  Not to mention the 6 cylinders vs 4.   I'd say the Porsche can certainly justify it's higher price (as well as any Porsche at least....)

The GLA45 might be a good choice for someone who lusts for the Macan but doesn't quite have the budget.   

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »
Macan

Length: 184.29"
Width: 76.14"
Height: 63.35"

GLA

Length: 173.9"
Width: 71"
Height: 58.8"

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo (and Macan S Video)
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 12:34:22 pm »
GLA45 AMG vs. Macan S

Give them a score, and then start deducting for every dollar more the Macan costs.

I bet the Macan is "better" but I also bet it can't be better and not cost another 20K on the Mercedes when optioned up to match what Mercedes includes in its fully loaded $67K configuration.
I think the Macan is larger than the GLA.  More akin in size to the GLK.

This.   Is the Macan not larger than the GLA?  Seems like you're jumping classes there.  Not to mention the 6 cylinders vs 4.   I'd say the Porsche can certainly justify it's higher price (as well as any Porsche at least....)

The GLA45 might be a good choice for someone who lusts for the Macan but doesn't quite have the budget.
It was a comment about pricing only, not about size.  You get the badge snobbery of a Porsche for the same price, assuming you watch your option box checking.

Northernridge

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »
The Macan Turbo seems more serious than the GLA AMG.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 12:45:40 pm »
It seems to me the fun/value sweetspot for the Macan is the 'S' model at ~70k with the optional go-fast bits like PASM, PTV, etc. Extra power is always only a chip/tune away.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 01:20:19 am »
i built a nice Macan S on Porsche's website...gave it a blue colour, added the Bose sound system and the keyless go system...$58,735 plus tax (incl. dest)...the GLA AMG, also in blue, is $51,390 plus freight (price not listed) plus tax...i think it is pretty easy to get a nice vehicle either way without breaking the bank, provided you keep the options in check.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:59 am »
a "stripper" model is pretty silly...a base Micra is a stripper model...no AC, no power anything...heck, i think the base Yaris didn't even come with a passenger side mirror (perhaps that was a few years ago though)...the base Macan is still reasonably well equipped...much like a base Forester (at about $25k)...it still has AC, power everything and heated seats...if you want the fancy electronic nannies, leather, HIDs and NAV, that's what the higher trims are for...but the "good bits" are already there.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 02:54:18 pm »
a "stripper" model is pretty silly...a base Micra is a stripper model...no AC, no power anything...heck, i think the base Yaris didn't even come with a passenger side mirror (perhaps that was a few years ago though)...the base Macan is still reasonably well equipped...much like a base Forester (at about $25k)...it still has AC, power everything and heated seats...if you want the fancy electronic nannies, leather, HIDs and NAV, that's what the higher trims are for...but the "good bits" are already there.

Relatively speaking, a base Macan is a stripper model. A mid-level Sonata has features that are optional on a base Macan.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, and on enthusiast forums lots of people claim that they would prefer with a lightly optioned Porsche, but in reality most Macans (and every other Porsche model, for that matter) are sold with at least $10k in options – just like most BMWs are sold with at least the premium package.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 12:29:12 pm »
Relatively speaking, a base Macan is a stripper model.
every car has a "base model", but to call the base model Macan a "stripper model" seems a little silly to me...perhaps if it didn't include AC, power features, etc, sure...but it really does come with everything you need...all the extra toys are extra, as they should be.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 08:55:23 am »
Totally agree. I do think the Macan needs the upgraded sound, since the base system sounds really weak. It also doesn't look quite right with the standard 18" wheels, so an upgrade to something like the 19" turbo wheels is also required. Metallic and xenons are probably a good idea, too. It does kill me that they charge over $2k for the xenons, but with the options I've described you're at $61,275, including destination.

Relatively speaking, a base Macan is a stripper model.
every car has a "base model", but to call the base model Macan a "stripper model" seems a little silly to me...perhaps if it didn't include AC, power features, etc, sure...but it really does come with everything you need...all the extra toys are extra, as they should be.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 09:12:32 pm »
I don't mind paying for the extras, since that just means there is flexibility for each owner to pick and choose à la carte what he/she wants. A base model Macan will still drive very well, and the Germans are very good at the details even in the basis model. I am not a Porsche guy, but I applaud them for retaining their European-style optioning scheme, instead of lumping things into packages like most other carmakers especially for the Canadian market. Built mine on their website and came out to 72,2k $
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:47 am »
It appears that all is not perfect with Macan's handling: watch the 1 min video for yourself.  Note that the Touareg and the CX90 have no issue with the same test (As shown on the second video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgVue72wqnI

If you want to be entertained look for the video of the same test for the Grand Cherokee. Suspension travel and emergency maneuvers are 2 things hard to reconcile... I was not able to find the ML test and there are conspiration theories about the JC results out there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM