Author Topic: Live vicariously - help me spend someone else's car allowance  (Read 9375 times)

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
Re: Live vicariously - help me spend someone else's car allowance
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 10:56:27 am »
Is she more inclined to sedans or CUVs?

I like E250 suggestion for a sedan....what about an X1 for CUV?  I'd think you could even get an X1 35 for that monthly payment.  Cheap(ish) way to get that sweet engine.  Should be a fine ride for 4 people.

If she can actually pocket the difference, then forget all of this and just treat it as a $14,400 annual raise and adjust your household budget accordingly.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 11:30:42 am »
Camry Hybrid
Lexus ES 300h
Fusion Hybrid
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

But if she's into German brands:

Passat TDI
BMW 328d
Mercedes E250BlueTec 4 Matic

Not sure how payments would work out on the BMW or certainly the Mercedes. With a commute like that, I'd choose something less likely to throw a CEL.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 02:06:52 pm »
Camry Hybrid
Lexus ES 300h
Fusion Hybrid
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Passat TDI
BMW 328d

Not sure how payments would work out on the BMW or certainly the Mercedes. With a commute like that, I'd choose something less likely to throw a CEL.

Bah... nonsense.  There are enough Benz and Bimmer dealerships in the GTA to take care of that.  My Audi was the only German car I owned that made me glad to be near a lot of dealerships.  The Bimmers have been pretty good for me.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 02:48:15 pm »
Camry Hybrid
Lexus ES 300h
Fusion Hybrid
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Passat TDI
BMW 328d

Bah... nonsense.  There are enough Benz and Bimmer dealerships in the GTA to take care of that.  My Audi was the only German car I owned that made me glad to be near a lot of dealerships.  The Bimmers have been pretty good for me.

That's a sample of one. Not exactly typical of 2008 335i drivers though:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:50:26 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »
Engine Major translates to expired turbos.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 03:29:56 pm »

damn that's scary, good thing I am more interested in the 328 (around 2010)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 05:07:37 pm »

And high pressure fuel pump I'm guessing...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 05:46:54 pm »
Those 2008s were notorious for blown turbos. Jeff, did your turbos not go on your 335?

~$6K out of warranty for those at the dealer!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:32 pm »
Those 2008s were notorious for blown turbos. Jeff, did your turbos not go on your 335?

The '07s I thought were worse.

Anyway, the notorious wastegate rattle was just starting on mine over the past month.  I expect one of the turbos might've been getting close to expiring.  During the mechanic's inspection requested by the new owner yesterday, it was suggested that the water pump might also be growing tired.  This on a car with 95,000 kms.   :o

Still, the point about Craig's friend is that she's going to be leasing, so even though German cars become fearsome, expensive propositions later on, it *shouldn't* be an issue for someone leasing for a few years. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 08:32:16 pm »

Anyway, the notorious wastegate rattle was just starting on mine over the past month.  I expect one of the turbos might've been getting close to expiring.  During the mechanic's inspection requested by the new owner yesterday, it was suggested that the water pump might also be growing tired.  This on a car with 95,000 kms.   :o

Still, the point about Craig's friend is that she's going to be leasing, so even though German cars become fearsome, expensive propositions later on, it *shouldn't* be an issue for someone leasing for a few years.

I thought you blew a set of turbos before too.....you never answered the question!   :stick:

Northernridge

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 08:46:46 pm »
If your friend is influenced by the Red Dot, last time I looked the E Class was actually pretty un-FGC.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 08:28:57 am »

I thought you blew a set of turbos before too.....you never answered the question!   :stick:

Which question?  Nope, never blew any turbos on my 335.  I had a doorlock switch go wonky on it once though.  (gasp!)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 09:12:43 am »

Which question?  Nope, never blew any turbos on my 335.  I had a doorlock switch go wonky on it once though.  (gasp!)

Under 100k, I should hope not.  BTW, pretty low mileage for the year.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:19 am »

The turbos on Justin's CPO 2007 335i went.  Replaced under warranty.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »
Going shopping next week. Getting caught up on some of this stuff was fun. I don't think it was mentioned a lot, but the new C class looks great, imo. The interior especially. That could be a winner. The 2014 E class looks to be had for C class money these days, and I love the idea of a diesel, but I don't think she likes the idea of pumping it. The C class diesels aren't out yet, that I understand. If she gets a diesel, I'm deathly afraid she'll pump gas into it by force of habit.

Talking to her again, I think she really wants something German. I used to like the A4, but that's getting to the end of its run in this generation, isn't it? I figure if you're leasing, might as well lease something that will still look new in 3 years. But what I really want to do, is steer her toward something that I want to buy out myself in 3 years if she maintains it and doesn't prang it too badly ;) Always thinking of myself.

Also, does anyone know if getting winter tires thrown into a lease agreement is an option? If we can get those put in the agreement, paid out over the life of the lease, that would help. Otherwise they'd be her cost. I say we really need winter tires here, halfway to Barrie.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:27 pm »
Also, my credit card was recently compromised. I was impressed, however, that the crook tried to put a downpayment on a Tesla with it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 12:50:08 pm »
The 2014 E class looks to be had for C class money these days, and I love the idea of a diesel, but I don't think she likes the idea of pumping it. The C class diesels aren't out yet, that I understand. If she gets a diesel, I'm deathly afraid she'll pump gas into it by force of habit.
Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot pump petrol into a diesel because the nozzle is shaped differently.  A quick Googling found this:

Re winter tires:  Of course this can be built into the cost of the lease.  Do it. Do it. Do it!  ...but remember that it's typically well beyond the price you'd pay elsewhere (dealers tend not to sell steelies for fancy Germanic cars).  Assuming $2500 for winters, and $200/month for insurance, that's about $275/month of her budget alone...so the car must be about $800-900/month on lease to stay within that $1,200 allowance.  At that price, you're not going to get an E-class (starts at about $1,000/month) unless there's some significant cash on the hood and she doesn't care about the premium package options.

If she wants interior space, the C-class will be too small.  I think the E-class is the best bet, but she has to be cautious with pricing to stay within her budget (or fork out additional $ for the enjoyment factor).

I think if she gets rid of the need for it to be a sedan, the GLK 250 or Q5 TDI are great options for the long commute within her budget.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:21 pm »
Pretty sure you can put gas in diesel but not diesel in gas.

Last BMW I had someone did that....  was bad.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 08:30:38 pm »
I don't know and the manual says nothing but I notice that my Q5 has a very tight fuel filler tube that requires a good push to get the pump nozzle in. As there is an identical looking Q5 with a diesel I wonder if it has something like that.  The diesel Q5 has a second filler under the flap for Adblue which we be enough of a cue for me to not put gas into a diesel.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Northernridge

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 08:55:28 pm »
Pretty sure you can put gas in diesel but not diesel in gas.

Last BMW I had someone did that....  was bad.

This is what I thought. As I recall it's simply because the larger diesel nozzle at the pump will not fit in the smaller gas filler outlet in most cars, not because of fancy valves.