Author Topic: 2014 Honda CRZ impressions  (Read 4204 times)

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
2014 Honda CRZ impressions
« on: October 06, 2014, 03:04:58 pm »
So I was at the Honda dealer to try a new Fit, and they didn't have a 5-spd in stock yet.  I noticed an orphaned CRZ sitting on the grass, and the fella said I should take it for a spin, so we did.  The dealer was hilarious, knowing absolutely nothing about the car.  He was literally making things up out of thin air, which I called him on.  Then he admitted they don't sell many...

As you know, while it makes a lot of compromises, it still is (and now was, since it's cancelled after '14) the only Hybrid that came with a stick.  I have to say I was reasonably enamoured, if you don't look at it as a sports car in any way.  It has some zip, (140lb-ft 1000-2000 rpm) and 130hp, and with the ultra smooth 6-spd stick it was nimble around town, while being fun to toss around.  It had 3 drive modes, Eco>Normal>Sport, which all progressively sharpen steering and throttle response.  The steering is a little slow in normal, but in sport you can actually notice it firm up.  The 2013/14 also got a refreshed design for the front end, which IMO improved it.  It also has a gimmicky 'Sport+' button, which temporarily boosts passing power, which I had to research online, since the dealer had no clue what it did.

I have to say, I'm very tempted to snap one up since they're almost gone.  I've been interested in the idea of a hybrid, but don't want to lose all fun-to-drive factor.  It seems most people online tend to beat the EPA ratings.  I think I'd miss the power of my XT at first, but I think I could get over it.  I'm also at a point in life where I can afford to have just two seats, as long as I can hang a bike rack off the back!

However, the price is a little hard to swallow.  The Base model is missing quite a few features, and is still 22.5K, while the premium model to even get streaming bluetooth, is north of 25K, with predictably high depreciation.  I've probably only seen a handful on the roads since they've been out, so the uniqueness appeals to me as well.

Anyway that's it.  Anyone else here driven one? or know anybody who actually has one?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Honda CRZ impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:09:54 pm »
I always sorta liked them.  And I've seen a few that had some tasteful mods like wheels and a slight lowering and thought they looked great. 

FYI - The first generation Insight also had a stick.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:17:35 pm »
No big cash on the hood to move it?  I'm surprised.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:34:51 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »
Haven't driven one but I think it looks great.  I see a white one at the GO parking lot every day and it looks like a nice little commuter car.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 10:38:44 pm »
My impressions from 2010. Time flies.

On the way home from work today, I stopped by the Honda dealer to have a look at a CR-Z. I am contemplating getting a second vehicle. I really, really wanted a CRX back in the day, but it just never worked out for one reason or another. Then they replaced it with the very disappointing del Sol.

I drove a white CR-Z with the six speed. I pretty much agree with what Greg has said about the car. I'm still disappointed that it's a hybrid, but it worked better than expected. Econ mode is quite a bit different than sport mode, more than what I was expecting, and very unresponsive. Even in sport mode it's about as quick as my 5 speed Outback, which isn't saying much. The electric assist does give it more low end torque than Hondas typically have. The ride and handling are actually pretty good, much closer to the CRX than I expected. You could feel that it was heavier than the older car, but it didn't detract from the handling.

The view out the rear window is about as bad as the rear view in my old Vibe, not great, but I could get used to it. Shoulder checks are pretty much impossible, so you'd better have your mirrors adjusted correctly.

Whereas the old CRX had a very simple interior, this has a dash with controls and displays more akin to a colonial Viper, than a car. It would take me quite a while to get used to finding the info or control I'm looking for, though it does look rather cool That said, the car is pretty well loaded with equipment. The stereo seemed to be very good, much better than the unit in my car, though I'm no audiophile. The only things missing on the car I drove were leather and the sunroof, both of which I could live without.

I came away from the car with a better impression than before I drove it. I could see it appealing to people who make a game out of how low they can get their fuel consumption. If driving pleasure it what you're really after, an MX-5 or Genesis would be a better choice.

The salesguy told me the dealership had received two CR-Zs three months ago, one manual and one automatic. Both are still there. The similarly priced Insight in the showroom has a $4000 discount on it.

Edit. Looks like I called it right:

To me, it isn’t really green or practical enough to appeal to the Prius set, and isn’t sporty enough for those waiting for a neo-CRX.

Personally I think this thing is DOA, but you never know.

;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:42:03 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 10:15:15 pm »
High km but at ~50% of the price new.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/CR-Z/Hanover/Ontario/5_21585082_ON20080414103528187/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_16

Wow, I'd actually really love to drive that. Great price — not much more than I paid for our '07 Cooper S with similar KMs.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 11:23:23 am »

Nice review and cool to hear of someone's real-world driving experience in one. At the price it's being offered it does seem there are many better options for the price/economy/fun proposition. On the other hand if being unique is important, these cars sure are a rare sight - I think I've seen 5 on the road since they were introduced.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:14 pm »
I've seen maybe a couple of CRZ's since they came out and that about it...still see a first gen Insight driving around though. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 01:54:23 pm »
I've seen maybe a couple of CRZ's since they came out and that about it...still see a first gen Insight driving around though.

I haven't seen a first gen Insight in a while now but there used to be a few around. I heard that of the six in Atlantic Canada, three were sold in Fredericton.

Second gen Insights are nowhere to be seen here, dealer had a couple when they first came out but haven't seen any recently. Same with the CRZ.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »

I haven't seen a first gen Insight in a while now but there used to be a few around. I heard that of the six in Atlantic Canada, three were sold in Fredericton.

Second gen Insights are nowhere to be seen here, dealer had a couple when they first came out but haven't seen any recently. Same with the CRZ.

There's often a white CRZ on the UNB campus in Fredericton

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 04:00:30 pm »

There's often a white CRZ on the UNB campus in Fredericton

Interesting. Perhaps the same professor who used to own a first gen Insight.