Author Topic: Corolla in for scheduled maintenance...  (Read 6162 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Corolla in for scheduled maintenance...
« on: October 01, 2014, 01:34:35 pm »
So took the Corolla in yesterday for scheduled maintenance.  I can't believe how cold the service guy was, but it was 'fine'.  This isn't a Lexus dealership, after all.

2010 Corolla CE w/ Enhanced Convenience Package, 53,900km.

Scheduled only for an oil change.  Brake pads were found to be down to 3mm in the front (fair enough), rear calipers needed to be lubed (dragging) - fair enough, and cabin air filter was apparently disgusting (fair enough - I drive through a lot of gravel areas that can clog it up).  $482, not too bad.

What really p!ssed me off was that they failed to fix any of the things I complained of.  I complained of driver's side mirror shake, radio that stops functioning intermittently, and a rattle in the driver's side seatbelt/B-pillar.

Their response, "I took it for a test drive and couldn't find any of your complaints."  I went back this morning and took him out to point out the issues, they all exhibited themselves.  He said, "ok, but that won't be covered under your ECP."

I begged to differ.

After showing him the policy, signed by the General Manager beside the words "all inclusions as per the comprehensive 3-year factory warranty extended to 7 years/84 months or 160,000km", he said "I could not replicate any of the complaints made and therefore repairs cannot be made at this time."

GM was busy and I had to get to work, but he has a voicemail from me and I'm awaiting his call back.  I'm not that cranky - none of the issues are severe, but a denial of my ECP will result in legal action (i.e. just a day's work ;)).

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Corolla in for scheduled maintenance...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »
damn, i envy you sometimes.... ;) :rofl:

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »
damn, i envy you sometimes.... ;) :rofl:
What can I say - there has to be some perk to every job, right?  In the legal profession, it's basically the right to threaten suit if people don't:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:49:12 pm »
In this type of situation, is it possible for us non-lawyers to get something like a letter from a lawyer stating the issue and that suing is on the horizon if they don't shape up?

If so, how much would something like that cost?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 01:51:54 pm »
In this type of situation, is it possible for us non-lawyers to get something like a letter from a lawyer stating the issue and that suing is on the horizon if they don't shape up?

well... you would have to find a petty and greedy lawyer (like NoTo for instance   ;D :o :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:) who will stoop to threatening legal action for every little thing.

:o :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

hope you know i'm jokin' NoTo!  ;)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:24 pm »

Depends on the lawyer.  If it's charged by an hourly fee, then the rate can be anywhere from $250-way more (I know lawyers on Bay St who charge $850/hr for their 'expertise').

Our office doesn't usually do non-personal injury stuff, but we do notarize documents for $60 :)

Honestly, a customer who complains to the general manager likely has the same success as a lawyer who does the same.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 02:02:33 pm »

Honestly, a customer who complains to the general manager likely has the same success as a lawyer who does the same.

i'm sure you are being modest ...

I know service counter treats my mom and me differently when we walk in separately.

on top of that, if i walked in with lawyer swagger i'm sure i would be treated differently again.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 02:07:48 pm »

i'm sure you are being modest ...

I know service counter treats my mom and me differently when we walk in separately.

on top of that, if i walked in with lawyer swagger i'm sure i would be treated differently again.
I walked in yesterday wearing dress shirt and pants, and this morning in a suit.  I was definitely treated better, by the same guy, in the suit.

Still waiting to hear from the GM though.  I'm sure I'll get an empty apology.

Indeed, lawyers driving Corollas command respect and fear from lowly service providers driving...Camrys.
The Corolla is mi papa's.  Noto doesn't own his own car yet ;)  If the dealership were intelligent, they would court me.  Subaru has ;)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 05:05:37 pm »
I wouldn't expect rattles to be fixed under warranty on a four-year-old car. ECP or not, every warranty I've seen limits the fixing of squeaks, rattles, mis-aligned trim, etc. to one year or less. Shaky mirror might be a grey area, and there should be something explicit in the warranty about the radio.

I assume you've read the paperwork: does the ECP really say it's full bumper-to-bumper coverage for the full term? I'd be really surprised if Toyota left themselves on the hook to chase down rattles on an 83-month-old car with 159,000 KMS on it.

Edit- says right here: Platinum Protection Plan - squeaks and rattles not covered.

http://www.jptoyota-northshore.com/extra-care-protection-platinum-plan-coverage.htm?redirect=false

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:09:14 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 09:05:20 pm »

A letter from a lawyer threatening legal action on trivial issues directed to a GTA Toyota dealer only results in sh*ts and giggles. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 09:19:46 am »
I wouldn't expect rattles to be fixed under warranty on a four-year-old car. ECP or not, every warranty I've seen limits the fixing of squeaks, rattles, mis-aligned trim, etc. to one year or less. Shaky mirror might be a grey area, and there should be something explicit in the warranty about the radio.

I assume you've read the paperwork: does the ECP really say it's full bumper-to-bumper coverage for the full term? I'd be really surprised if Toyota left themselves on the hook to chase down rattles on an 83-month-old car with 159,000 KMS on it.

Edit- says right here: Platinum Protection Plan - squeaks and rattles not covered.

http://www.jptoyota-northshore.com/extra-care-protection-platinum-plan-coverage.htm?redirect=false
Read what I said above re: the General Manager altering the contract.  The specific dealership is on the hook for agreeing to the changes that I requested.  It's not what the ECP "says", it's what the contract between myself and the dealership says - which is: "all inclusions as per the comprehensive 3-year factory warranty extended to 7 years/84 months or 160,000km"

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:22:01 am »
...and the mirrors aren't a "grey area". 
Parts not covered are all glass (including mirrors, heated windshields and rear windows with defroster),
This suggests that it's the actual GLASS (i.e. if yours cracks) or heating elements that are not covered.

The attachment of the mirror is covered.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 10:08:02 am »

Read what I said above re: the General Manager altering the contract.  The specific dealership is on the hook for agreeing to the changes that I requested.  It's not what the ECP "says", it's what the contract between myself and the dealership says - which is: "all inclusions as per the comprehensive 3-year factory warranty extended to 7 years/84 months or 160,000km"

You are absolutely correct. It sounds like the GM agreed with the change...and that promise would likely hold up in a small court.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:08 am »

What does the 3-year factory warranty say? I'd wager it says that squeaks and rattles are only covered for one year. So even if the GM extended the factory warranty to 7 years, I'd say that doesn't change the 1-year term on squeaks and rattles.

And you've correctly pointed out that the 7-year excludes glass, but it also excludes "body parts." Is the mirror a body part? I'd say so. Whether it's covered under warranty or not might depend on why it's shaking, but again, I probably wouldn't expect coverage on that in year four.

But, whatever. Good luck with the battle! I'm bored so just having a bit of fun advocating for the dark side.  >:D ;)

Edit: changed bodywork to body parts. Gots to be precise in this biz. :)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:35:48 am by HeliDriver »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:50:54 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 01:54:49 pm »
i'm with heli on it actually!

the 3/60 is not the adjustment period... the 1/20 is. so you extended the comprehensive warranty, which covers a lot of stuff, but not "wearable items" or body adjustments.

many of those jobs can be done goodwill though and possibly squeeze it through warranty as long as they are in good with their warranty numbers. the radio they are on the hook for by the adjustment you had signed.

my old shop would have popped off the mirror and body bit by the belt and put some foam tape to hold it... at least make it seem like they care... cost them a flat rate guy for ten minutes and a bucks worth of tape...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 03:43:33 pm »
Thanks, tooscoops! :cheers:

But, the funny thing is, I did find a 2014 Toyota warranty booklet online, and it doesn't say a thing about limitations for squeaks, rattles or adjustments. So maybe Toyota really does include those for the full term of the 3-year factory warranty? In which case, NoTo certainly should be covered if the GM simply extended the terms of the 3-year to 7 years.

But that was a 2014 booklet, so maybe it was different in 2010? That's my only hope for winning this case. (of course, I'd be more than happy to lose and see NoTo get his stuff fixed for free. :) )

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 04:04:46 pm »
yeah.. this is one of those cases where i wouldn't hesitate to just do the work. the radio is the only thing that will actually cost them money, but that is the only part that for sure is covered by that "extension"

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 09:17:44 pm »
So maybe Toyota really does include those for the full term of the 3-year factory warranty?

Toyota Canada covers the entire vehicle for the first 3 years/60 sand the usual wear items.

Is there really anything out of sorts that can be actually identified.  That's the issue.  ;D