Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon  (Read 37677 times)

Northernridge

Re: First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 10:16:23 am »
How were its road handling manners compared the Silverado?  and the Taco and Ridgeline for that matter.

Handling is one place where these mid-sizers might excel relative to full-size. Example, our Ridgeline handles dramatically better than our Sierra...handles washboard gravel better too.

I would think that probably has more to do with the independent rear suspension than the size.

Quite possibly. I was hoping for superior road-going behaviour for these smaller trucks as an additional differentiator to the full-sized. Good driving characteristics would add to appeal of a lighter-duty right-sized truck for those who might trade a CUV for a pickup bed but not want all the trappings of a truck. I will be disappointed if these drive like full-sized pickups.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 10:16:38 am »
As far as I know those are the only prices that have been released. Build and price isn't yet available for the Colorado and Canyon.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 10:20:49 am »
As far as I know those are the only prices that have been released. Build and price isn't yet available for the Colorado and Canyon.
So then we don't know if it's available as a standalone option...?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 10:20:49 am »
How were its road handling manners compared the Silverado?  and the Taco and Ridgeline for that matter.

Handling is one place where these mid-sizers might excel relative to full-size. Example, our Ridgeline handles dramatically better than our Sierra...handles washboard gravel better too.

I would think that probably has more to do with the independent rear suspension than the size.

Quite possibly. I was hoping for superior road-going behaviour for these smaller trucks as an additional differentiator to the full-sized. Good driving characteristics would add to appeal of a lighter-duty right-sized truck for those who might trade a CUV for a pickup bed but not want all the trappings of a truck. I will be disappointed if these drive like full-sized pickups.

Guess we will have to see.  But from the article, he barely noticed he was in a truck....Which is what I like to hear.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:05 am »

Complete U.S. pricing has been available for a while and 4WD is available with both engines, all three trim levels, and all three body styles.

Besides, it's a truck. Please let me know the last time an American manufacturer restricted 4WD to a specific trim level or body style in a pickup.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 10:40:46 am »

Complete U.S. pricing has been available for a while and 4WD is available with both engines, all three trim levels, and all three body styles.

Besides, it's a truck. Please let me know the last time an American manufacturer restricted 4WD to a specific trim level or body style in a pickup.

Ford demands an extra $11,800 for the 4X4 option on the XL. Sure. other items are thrown in, but over 50% of the price to get this one feature is pretty restrictive.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:07 am »
Ford demands an extra $11,800 for the 4X4 option on the XL. Sure. other items are thrown in, but over 50% of the price to get this one feature is pretty restrictive.

MSRP for a base F-150 XL is $19,999. This is obviously a ploy to advertise a sub $20k price. In reality, the same truck with 4x4 isn't $11,800 more because it has a bunch of incentives. There are very few incentives on the base truck because they've already discounted the truck via a low MSRP.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 11:02:47 am »
Funny how this thread has somehow become Toyota centric. I can see why Toyota seems reluctant to bring their newer and well received Hilux to the North American market if the older Tacoma still garners so much attention.

I didn't mean to turn this into a Toyota centric thread and I certainly don't want to come off like some Taco cheerleader.     However, GM has come out since the intro of these trucks, claiming it'll be a Taco killer.
The first intro video had a Tacoma driving with a GM twin comes up from behind and "blow by it"

So I had / have really high expectations on these.   

Handling vs Ridgeline
I don't think these will be better, close perhaps.
The Ridgeline is truly a "non truck" platform with it's unibody design and has suspension tweaked like an SUV.
I think that design will always give it an edge in terms of handling and comfort.

I think the Ridgeline is slightly more planted in it's drive vs. the Taco but part of this is the RL is wider.
My dad went for a quick around the town ride and didn't notice much difference between the two and wife feels just as safe and comfortable in the Taco.    I haven't had a chance to compare on gravel, hole filled roads but there's a slight noticable difference on train tracks.   (the RL being a little smoother).

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 11:16:51 am »
Funny how this thread has somehow become Toyota centric. I can see why Toyota seems reluctant to bring their newer and well received Hilux to the North American market if the older Tacoma still garners so much attention.

I didn't mean to turn this into a Toyota centric thread and I certainly don't want to come off like some Taco cheerleader.     However, GM has come out since the intro of these trucks, claiming it'll be a Taco killer.
The first intro video had a Tacoma driving with a GM twin comes up from behind and "blow by it"

Handling vs Ridgeline
The Ridgeline is truly a "non truck" platform with it's unibody design and has suspension tweaked like an SUV.
I think that design will always give it an edge in terms of handling and comfort.

I think the Ridgeline is slightly more planted in it's drive vs. the Taco but part of this is the RL is wider.
My dad went for a quick around the town ride and didn't notice much difference between the two and wife feels just as safe and comfortable in the Taco.    I haven't had a chance to compare on gravel, hole filled roads but there's a slight noticable difference on train tracks.   (the RL being a little smoother).

I see you ended up with a Tacoma.  Congrats!  I almost pulled the trigger on one too, but went a size up.  Did you get the TRD suspension model?  I found that ridgeline was the best riding truck out there.  It really drove like a Pilot.  TRD equipped Tacoma was quite a bit more harsh and truck like, but I liked that.  It really is hard to explain as Tacoma does lack some basic things and has a few faults but Even now I keep thinking I want one for some reason.  Cant logically explain it.  Maybe it reminds me of simple vehicles I used to drive as a teen back in the day  ;D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:13 am »
The reviews have been pretty positive so far - but really, when are they negative for a brand new vehicle?

I like the tight turning diameter (12.6m), and the fact that the tow rating is based on the SAE method (finally, not some made up number!) It's also nice that all (V6) Coloranyons have the same axle ratio, so there's no "fuel economy ratio" vs "actual towing ratio".  (I appreciate that about the Tundra/Titan as well - yes, their mileage sucks but at least there's no guessing about how much of a mileage penalty you take for getting the towing axle ratio).

If autos.ca does a comparison on these trucks in the future, can I request you include a Silverado/Sierra?  I'd like to see side-by-side pictures to really get a sense of the differences between them.  And of course a towing test, if possible: Say towing a 5000 lb trailer with the Colorado, versus a 4.3L Silverado?

And while I don't usually want to promote the "other" Canadian auto websites on this, the flagship Canadian auto website...Leslie's review is pretty good. (BTW Leslie, if you're reading this - you used "turning radius" in your article instead of diameter! ;D)

http://driving.ca/gmc/canyon/reviews/road-test/pickup-truck-review-2015-gmc-canyon-and-chevrolet-colorado

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:44 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/29/toyota-tacoma-pickup-recall/16430005/

Another corrosion issue with the Tacoma. After the frame rot fiasco, I frankly don't get the adoration. The last one I was in did seem at least a couple of generations behind the full size pickups.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 11:33:04 am »
Hopefully Toyota has resolved that frame rot business in the new ones, but I agree that the Tacos do feel outdated inside and out. For someone like me who is fine with driving older vehicles, it's a non-issue, but I understand why someone might turn their nose up at a Taco because of it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 11:40:14 am »
I frankly don't get the adoration.

Easy answer, it was the best truck in its class for the last how many years.  The GM twins look like they will change that however.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 11:46:03 am »
The reviews have been pretty positive so far - but really, when are they negative for a brand new vehicle?

I like the tight turning diameter (12.6m), and the fact that the tow rating is based on the SAE method (finally, not some made up number!) It's also nice that all (V6) Coloranyons have the same axle ratio, so there's no "fuel economy ratio" vs "actual towing ratio".  (I appreciate that about the Tundra/Titan as well - yes, their mileage sucks but at least there's no guessing about how much of a mileage penalty you take for getting the towing axle ratio).

If autos.ca does a comparison on these trucks in the future, can I request you include a Silverado/Sierra?  I'd like to see side-by-side pictures to really get a sense of the differences between them.  And of course a towing test, if possible: Say towing a 5000 lb trailer with the Colorado, versus a 4.3L Silverado?

And while I don't usually want to promote the "other" Canadian auto websites on this, the flagship Canadian auto website...Leslie's review is pretty good. (BTW Leslie, if you're reading this - you used "turning radius" in your article instead of diameter! ;D)

http://driving.ca/gmc/canyon/reviews/road-test/pickup-truck-review-2015-gmc-canyon-and-chevrolet-colorado

That would be a great idea.  I think blotter should volunteer his Tacoma to thrown in the towing test.  Drive all three vehicles for a bit, see fuel economy without towing, with towing.  Would be rather interesting...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:56 pm »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/29/toyota-tacoma-pickup-recall/16430005/

Another corrosion issue with the Tacoma. After the frame rot fiasco, I frankly don't get the adoration. The last one I was in did seem at least a couple of generations behind the full size pickups.
Do you have those pictures saved on your desk top ?  :o  ;D

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 12:09:41 pm »
There were Tacos and Frontiers available on the press event for comparison.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:03 pm »

Handling vs Ridgeline

I see you ended up with a Tacoma.  Congrats!  I almost pulled the trigger on one too, but went a size up.  Did you get the TRD suspension model?  I found that ridgeline was the best riding truck out there.  It really drove like a Pilot.  TRD equipped Tacoma was quite a bit more harsh and truck like, but I liked that.  It really is hard to explain as Tacoma does lack some basic things and has a few faults but Even now I keep thinking I want one for some reason.  Cant logically explain it.  Maybe it reminds me of simple vehicles I used to drive as a teen back in the day  ;D

thanks!
TRD double cab.    I don't find it harsh so far but I'm coming from a Matrix with a simple torsion beam rear suspension.  THAT was harsh!!!  LOL

Offline Silverbird

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 A4 Avant, 2008 VW Rabbit
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 12:19:56 pm »
Using the Canyon Build and price on the US website, 4X4 is $4-5K more.

These are just the lowest costs for extended cab, long box (before fees and options) on the builder:
              4x2          4x4              4x4 premium
Base    20,995       not avail
WT       22,650       27,760         $5,110
LT        26,045       30,095         $4,050
Z71     28,505        32,430         $3,925

However, these are the US builds, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 4x2 wasn't available on top trims in Canada

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 01:19:22 pm »
These trucks are brand new, then why does the dash look like a mid 90's Pontiac.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2014, 01:19:52 pm »
There were Tacos and Frontiers available on the press event for comparison.

Hopefully someone will do a decent comparo soon then :)