Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon  (Read 37682 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:30:54 am »

The all-new 2015 GMC Canyon and 2015 Chevrolet Colorado entry-level pickups are designed to disrupt this corner of the market with modern fuel efficiency and horsepower with a compact footprint and up-to-date feature content.
Read More...

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
Re: First Drive: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:16:20 am »
Not really surprised about the minimal difference in fuel economy between the I4 and the V6. I think it's a good sign in that GM maybe feels that the third engine choice will be the growing preference for future customers - the diesel. It will be the choice for fuel economy, not the I4. Sadly, the mid-sized offerings are probably the extent of the downsizing in the pick-up class that we'll be seeing. Forget about a true mini pick-up. I've actually somewhat stepped off my soapbox on this one. A mini pick-up can really only be in one configuration and retain it's "mini" status - i.e. regular cab, one bench seat (or 2 buckets).  i.e. the perennial lowest selling configuration. Anything larger and it's, well...midsized. What a great choice the Colorado or Canyon is for those who may be looking for an SUV, but with great towing and flexible cargo capabilities. The diesel will bring the fuel economy equation into play.

Now, Ford, bring the new Ranger to NA (with the diesel) and Dodge let's see what you can do with a 2016 Dakota (maybe start by changing the name).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:20:42 am by pcsp »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:41 am »

I STILL don't understand a 2WD truck...and 4x4 is effectively a minimum $15,000 option.

GM is kinda treating customers the same way that Lucas and Spielberg treated Indie...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:55:31 am »
^^^
really?

:hide: :hurl:
thanks for the visuals......

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:07:20 am »
alright...
here's my 2 cents.

I was actually really looking forward to these trucks.   (not with the likely intention of buying one, but to light a fire under Toyota's arse...)

This is NOT (IMO) turning out to be the Tacoma killing GM is trying to make it sound like.

while I've been one to justify that some people do want a luxurious truck (creature comforts and features)
these GMs aren't actually blowing the doors off.

The Toyota Tacoma and the Nissan Frontier are nearly museum pieces in terms of their features, technology and drivetrains.

granted the drivetrains and engines are old.  Tech?  really? 
How much tech is needed in a truck or a vehicle in general all depends on the buyer.
So GM's MyLink system is in it.  Toyota has their own as well.  Granted the GM is 8 inch and the Tacoma is 6.1
My system does everything I need it to.   Rolling WiFi?  I could care less.

BTW, the Toyota system's feature (nav / infotainment) is far superior in features for US customers.
But at the end of the day, this still does everything I need it to do.  So and old museum piece?  I think not.

overall refinement the GMC and Chevy have it all over any other current mid-size model, but the hits don’t stop there.

I think that's a serious exaggeration (however I haven't driven a GM yet)
but the Taco handles and drive VERY nice on the highway and around town.

It may lack a bit of power to the new twins and while extra power is always nice, I find, so far no lack of power.   Torque is nearly matched.  (which we can argue is more important)

Fuel Economy... it's still too early to tell but so far the numbers only seem slightly better.
(I won't even talk about the diesel since it's not here yet --- that should be a game changer)

Towing capacity?  how many people are going to tow 7,000lbs with these?

Blind spot detection, forward collision.... sure nice little extras but keep your eyes open and pay attention!
BTW, these trucks usually have very little in blind spots.   

What do I find lacking in the Taco?
little things / not so little things like
1) lack of seat adjustability.
2) heated mirrors
3) outside temp display

those are all things that are somehow missing that I feel should be on a $40K vehicle.  (truck or not)

Honestly, these GM twins have a few "extras" due to being a new vehicle but there's nothing coming from these (that I've noticed yet) that truly blows the Taco or Frontier away)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:09:43 am »
almost forgot...

I actual like the interior of the Tacoma better....
 :-*

(looking at these pictures, I don't understand how the GM is stated to be so much superior?)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:39 am »

I STILL don't understand a 2WD truck...and 4x4 is effectively a minimum $15,000 option.

You hardly understand a 2WD car, so no surprise there. 2WD trucks don't really sell in Canada because most people want 4WD but in the southern U.S. they are plentiful because 4WD isn't necessary unless you plan to go off-road. Even in Canada, there are lots of 2WD work trucks. I'm not sure what there is to understand.

And how the heck do you figure that 4WD is a $15k option?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:26 am »
Nothing wrong with a 2wd truck. A little challenging in the winter, but the savings (upfront, fuel and maintenance) may be worthwhile depending on where you live. For an urban/suburban utility or work vehicle 2wd would be fine.

I like the review, and the photos. I wasn't sure whether I liked the looks of these twins at all, but seeing these nice photos out in the real-world evironment the look is already growing on me. I maybe be a little biased, but with the exception of the previous generation Colorado/Canyon I've loved every other GM truck I've driven. IMO GM knows how to build a truck, when they want to, and I am hoping these two are no exception.

Can't wait to see how these sell, and even more anxious to get some seat time in one myself.

My only gripe is the sizing...Like pcsp, I'd love to see some true mini-trucks back in the market. 20 years ago Toyota, Nissan, GM and Ford all had great competitive mini-trucks on the market and they neglected them until they whithered away. Mid-size has it's place, but I do think the real opportunity is in the small truck game.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 09:38:49 am »
I have to give Toyota props for offering the stick across the range, while GM is setting it up for failure by offering it on the base model only.  Hopefully that will continue with the new Taco (if there ever is one).

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:37 am »
I have to give Toyota props for offering the stick across the range, while GM is setting it up for failure by offering it on the base model only.  Hopefully that will continue with the new Taco (if there ever is one).

spy shots of testing is starting to find it's way online.
i'm guessing we'll see a new Taco for 2016 or early 2017

I just hope it looks more like a Helux than the new 4-Runners.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 09:45:48 am »
Funny how this thread has somehow become Toyota centric. I can see why Toyota seems reluctant to bring their newer and well received Hilux to the North American market if the older Tacoma still garners so much attention.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:52:52 am »
Nice first drive/preview.  But still seems a little early to compare the Tacoma to GM twins.  Pictures only paint a small portion.  Things like cabin noise, inside materials, features, comfort are only known in person.  So I am sure we will get a comparo down the road.  Sure it may be unfair to the competition, as these are newer, but it will raise a few points, and see what vehicle has its pros and cons. 

As for as pricing, the Build and Price isn't available yet.  So it's hard to get a true sense of how much more the 4wd would be in the same trim.  Looking back, previous gen, it was around $3500 MSRP. 

As for the lack of manual across the board, it would have been nice, but I guess you can't have it all.  Look on the bright side, at least we get a diesel.  I suspect the next Tacoma won't either.  Now will it be a new Tacoma, or typical Toyota, a major update.  Same powertrain? Something exclusive the competition doesn't offer?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:47 am »
^^^
really?

:hide: :hurl:
thanks for the visuals......
LOL, I didn't realize that was a .gif - I went for the least offensive pic I could find.  Well, that worked out well ;)

And how the heck do you figure that 4WD is a $15k option?
I said "effectively" - as in, if you want 4x4, you must spend $15,000 more than the cost of the base model.  Sure, you get a helluva lot else bundled in, but if all you wanted was a base, 4x4 truck (i.e. a work truck that goes offroad at construction yards?), then that makes for a far more pricey investment.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 10:04:21 am »
^ I still don't get what you are talking about, the base model will have a 4wd standalone option.  GM is not going to make you get the top of the line to get the 4wd...  It will follow the similar trims as the full-size trucks.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 10:07:03 am »
I said "effectively" - as in, if you want 4x4, you must spend $15,000 more than the cost of the base model.  Sure, you get a helluva lot else bundled in, but if all you wanted was a base, 4x4 truck (i.e. a work truck that goes offroad at construction yards?), then that makes for a far more pricey investment.

But that's not true. The only price stated in the article for a 4x4 Crew Cab Z71, which is the most expensive configuration. There are also other models available. You can get 4WD in every trim, body, and engine configuration aside from the manual transmission four cylinder.

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:08:48 am »
How were its road handling manners compared the Silverado?  and the Taco and Ridgeline for that matter.

Handling is one place where these mid-sizers might excel relative to full-size. Example, our Ridgeline handles dramatically better than our Sierra...handles washboard gravel better too.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 10:11:59 am »

But that's not true. The only price stated in the article for a 4x4 Crew Cab Z71, which is the most expensive configuration. There are also other models available. You can get 4WD in every trim, body, and engine configuration aside from the manual transmission four cylinder.

Maybe NoTo is getting confused with Ford, where the upgrade to 4X4 can be anywhere from $2500 to $12000, depending on the model.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 10:12:45 am »
How were its road handling manners compared the Silverado?  and the Taco and Ridgeline for that matter.

Handling is one place where these mid-sizers might excel relative to full-size. Example, our Ridgeline handles dramatically better than our Sierra...handles washboard gravel better too.

I would think that probably has more to do with the independent rear suspension than the size.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 10:13:31 am »

I assume the Ridgeline handles that much better due to the Independent Rear Suspension...

BTW, Benjamin Hunting looks like this is your first article? If so, congrats.  Still a resident of Quebec?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 10:14:32 am »

Maybe NoTo is getting confused with Ford, where the upgrade to 4X4 can be anywhere from $2500 to $12000, depending on the model.
No, Noto is confused because the only readily available information on pricing is what he read on this website - it may be a little irresponsible for autos.ca to post numbers as they have here (yo man, no disrespect!  ...but this shouldn't be done).  I felt no desire to go to GM's website to build and price - I just saw that the cheapest 4WD option was $35k.  If I were in the market for a truck and read that, I would skip GM's website entirely based on this review.