Author Topic: Importing a car from US to Canada  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Importing a car from US to Canada
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 01:28:11 pm »
I should have asked this first:

Is either car financed or leased?  Until fully paid off, you cannot bring it across the border since you don't have title/ownership over it (or there's a lien on it).

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 03:11:03 pm »
1)  He is a Canadian Citizen (Resident) who was living in the USA for approximately 6 years.  Both his vehicles were bought in the US.  He would be considered 'returning to canada'.

2)  Both vehicles are paid in full, no lien, nothing owing.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »
So.  I think that
He will have to fill in the US paperwork for EXPORTING vehicles and deliver it to the customs post he is using 72 hours in advance. Like it or not, as far as the USA is concerned you are exporting vehicles.
He will have to pay GST at 5% and duty if applicable,at the Canadian border post   on the CURRENT VALUE of the vehicles with a $10,000 deductible on each.  I suggest a valuation from the dealers would be good. Probably nothing to pay on the Elantra but may well be something on the Durango.
He will have to have whatever procedures, like safety checks, that NB wants for out of province vehicles  and pay whatever taxes that NB charges when he arrives in NB to get a NB plate and registration.

And of course he will have a 3 month wait for a health card.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 03:23:31 pm »
Honestly, I've read and re-read the documents and can't give a definitive answer.  There simply doesn't seem to be one that is widely available/acceptable - it all conflicts.

I recommend calling the RIV and asking - but specify that the vehicle is not being imported for resale and that it is a Canadian Citizen who has been non-resident for 6 years and is returning with his personal vehicle.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 03:27:37 pm »
Honestly, I've read and re-read the documents and can't give a definitive answer.  There simply doesn't seem to be one that is widely available/acceptable - it all conflicts.

I recommend calling the RIV and asking - but specify that the vehicle is not being imported for resale and that it is a Canadian Citizen who has been non-resident for 6 years and is returning with his personal vehicle.
The resale is not relevant as long as keeps the vehicle for 2 years.    Rrocket, Vman and others will know the answer to this one exactly.
 I read it as if the Cdn Gov has a procedure for returning residents, a slightly different one for new immigrants both of which make concessions to people who have been away for a year...i.e. longer than a vacation.

But calling the RIV is a good idea anyway.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 07:07:30 pm »
Man, if NOTO is having a hard time making sense of it all, how the hell is an ordinary citizen supposed to do it?

Well, thanks for all the help guys.

It sounds as if he's using all this as an excuse to justify getting new vehicles.  He's expecting a 3rd child so the Elantra would likely have to be replaced in favor of a minivan, and from the sounds of it he really wants to get a truck, so it sounds like he's trying to make himself believe all this tax nonsense.

either way, the government sucks, and it's just all too confusing.  As if emigrating and moving wasn't already stressful enough for people.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 07:13:11 pm »
Use the Durango as minivan... then he can just get his truck  ;)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 07:52:37 pm »
My Father (when he was still alive) in 2005 brought across his new Town & Country. It had Florida Plates, was titled in Florida and was covered under Florida Ins. He paid duty on it as it's value was over $10k.
Railton
T&C is built in North America - covered under NAFTA - should never, every have duty on it.

Just because there's an example of someone paying doesn't make it right.  Border officials aren't necessarily well-versed in the law and they simply say "You import car?  You pay!"

It's not considered an import if there is no change in ownership.  We bought the RX400h from Buffalo (used) and did not title it in the US.  It was purchased from the dealership to us, and therefore it was an import.  If your dad bought the car in FLA and titled it to his FLA address, then brought it back into Canada, there's no tax or duty to be paid because you're not buying or selling it.  If you do bring it into Canada for sale, then it will attract tax/duty (if appropriate), but for personal use there is no tax or dut
I suspect you're right about the duty - must have been a tax he had to pay (GST or HST) instead of duty. He eventually did sell it, or should I say we sold it after he past away. I dont remember the details then.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »
Just call the RIV, they're really nice and willing to help.

I've imported 4 cars and I'd agree that the agents don't know what they're talking about. They tried to get me to pay duty on the MDX (made in US) until I told them the scoop. They gave me attitude and I told them to look up the facking rules. 10 minutes later they apologized and I was on my way.

I would be careful playing games with not declaring cars. They are very strict and I'd think about whether it's worth it trying to save a little money. I'm sure the BAR would not approve. Are there no time limits on how long the car can be here if registered in the States?

Insurance companies usually ask to see the ownership/VIN anyways.  That would tip them off...and they wouldn't insure you.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10:59 pm »
Just call the RIV, they're really nice and willing to help.

I've imported 4 cars and I'd agree that the agents don't know what they're talking about. They tried to get me to pay duty on the MDX (made in US) until I told them the scoop. They gave me attitude and I told them to look up the facking rules. 10 minutes later they apologized and I was on my way.

I would be careful playing games with not declaring cars. They are very strict and I'd think about whether it's worth it trying to save a little money. I'm sure the BAR would not approve. Are there no time limits on how long the car can be here if registered in the States?

Insurance companies usually ask to see the ownership/VIN anyways.  That would tip them off...and they wouldn't insure you.
I don't know whether this is still true but a while ago it was illegal for a Canadian even to drive a US registered car in Canada.   It was a federal offence. There was some get-out where one could drive it home and then back to the border IIRC. I suspect the rule was probably pre-auto pact even but it certainly survived into the early 2000s.
The general rule is that a 'tourist' can drive a foreign registered car for 6 months.  There are also rules for diplomats , service personnel and such...none of which apply here I guess.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 09:42:47 am »
It's a year before you have to change licence plates.  Used to be 6 months, but that really hampered international students.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 09:52:49 am »
It's a year before you have to change licence plates.  Used to be 6 months, but that really hampered international students.
A year is more sensible I agree...I did not know it had changed.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »
Didn't know that.  I drove an F-150 ford gave me with masse plates

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »
I don't know whether this is still true but a while ago it was illegal for a Canadian even to drive a US registered car in Canada.   It was a federal offence.
You may drive a foreign vehicle in Canada for up to 60 days.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 07:08:35 pm »
I don't know whether this is still true but a while ago it was illegal for a Canadian even to drive a US registered car in Canada.   It was a federal offence.

That may be.  But effective immediately (and being 100% mandatory..no "ifs", "ands" or "buts" by October), you have to do additional paperwork that you didn't have to do just several months ago.  You now have to electronically file electronic export information (EEI) through the automated export system (AES) and this is then reported to the US Census.  Once that is done, you'll get an Internal Transaction Number (ITN).  This is then presented to US Customs upon export.  If you show up to the border without this, you WILL get turned around.   Failing to do so at the time the car is exported opens you up for fines.  Potentially big ones.   

There is LOTS of BS now.  I'm navigating my way through it to try and be able to get my own number for AES so I can export cars in the future.  It's a PITA.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 11:16:53 am »

That may be.  But effective immediately (and being 100% mandatory..no "ifs", "ands" or "buts" by October), you have to do additional paperwork that you didn't have to do just several months ago.  You now have to electronically file electronic export information (EEI) through the automated export system (AES) and this is then reported to the US Census.  Once that is done, you'll get an Internal Transaction Number (ITN).  This is then presented to US Customs upon export.  If you show up to the border without this, you WILL get turned around.   Failing to do so at the time the car is exported opens you up for fines.  Potentially big ones.   

There is LOTS of BS now.  I'm navigating my way through it to try and be able to get my own number for AES so I can export cars in the future.  It's a PITA.
That has nothing to do with the 60 days that a US car is allowed to be in Canada for (because it's not being 'exported').