Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE  (Read 6809 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:30:43 am »

A car. But better for 2015.
Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:17:07 am »
The best thing to help 'remind' you that you are actually driving a car is a manual transmission. Before you run into anything there is a good chance you will stall the engine.

The competitors listed like the Sonic, 500, 2,  Micra, Accent and Fiesta will generally have double the repairs and
half the life span of a Yaris.

Too bad they did not take advantage of the French plant's production of 1.4 Diesels to supply the Canadian market.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:27:26 am »
The best thing to help 'remind' you that you are actually driving a car is a manual transmission. Before you run into anything there is a good chance you will stall the engine.

The competitors listed like the Sonic, 500, 2,  Micra, Accent and Fiesta will generally have double the repairs and

Got any stats to back that up?

No, I didn't think so.

Too bad they did not take advantage of the French plant's production of 1.4 Diesels to supply the Canadian market.

Having this car built in France ought to be a very large Absolutely Red flag for any buyers. France? Not known for their car-making chops.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:12:23 pm by Oldsguy »
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:37 am »
I think this review is absolutely fitting for the Yaris - great job, Peter!

This new Yaris has 'some' excitement injected into it; its fascia and interior have character now, and I think pricing is spot-on.  Fuel economy remains a sore spot, but your as-tested numbers are reasonable (assuming we totally ignore that Ford builds the Fiesta, Kia builds the Rio, and Hyundai builds the Accent...).  I always abhorred getting a Yaris as a rental car when I rented weekly (always preferring the Fiesta or Rio - I only had an accent once, hated the Mazda2, Fiat 500, and Versa, and the Micra was not yet built), but this would seem less off-putting to me.  It's still an economy car, but finally priced as one.  Even though materials inside are better, as you describe, the design still screams "cheap" to me, though.  The long, slender, boring shifter, the neanderthal-forehead-like dashboard, and the lack of audio-controls on the steering wheel - the latter of which being a sore spot for me on the safety-front.  I'm really a proponent of those controls being mandated given that we have distracted-driving laws and radios are still allowed.  I hate that my Corolla doesn't have them :'(

I don't care how many 'cogs' the transmission has, but I would like to see highway fuel economy improve.  Power delivery is fine, I found.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:52:14 am »
   This is a nice car. Bit longer than a Micra...about 4 1/2" and a little bit lower 1". Meaningful snout. The dash is very nicely done with the same speedo layout as the Micra. There appear to be small pockets in the dash ahead of the passenger for locating small objects maybe. Somehow it is worlds away from previous efforts and a lot to like. As in the Micra...plenty of power here...no hydraulic steering to drive. Both are what a modern day Mini might have been, had it not been taken to another place of it's own. 
   Discs on the rear wheels might be a plus for some. Lifespan might not be in that column in my experience. Maybe I missed the Mazda 2 offering in this league and I suppose the Kia Reo contends here too. The Micra SR version contends with the one tested.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:03:43 am by Rupert »

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:15 am »
The best old iron sold as new one in sub compact category!

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 11:04:14 am »
I can't support the big gaping mouth grilles.  I can't wait for this horrible trend to die a horrible death.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »

This isn't 15 years ago. 

I find it interesting Toyota doesn't think the Honda Fit is a competitor?  It's the segment leader, maybe not in sales, but overall. 

So what vehicle is Mazda making for Toyota in Mexico?  Will production move from France to Mexico next year?  Looking forward to the Mazda2.  We have never had some many choices in this segment.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_new_toyota_subcompact_to_get_mazda2_engine_be_built_in_mexico.html

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »
Eeeeek that mouth is just awful, I cannot wait till this trend disappears.
The inside is pretty horrendous too..

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 01:05:35 pm »
Actually, I don't personally mind the snoot...beginning to become familiar now. Up-ticking the remainder of vehicle styling to match such...is a problem though.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 06:01:37 pm »

This isn't 15 years ago. 

I find it interesting Toyota doesn't think the Honda Fit is a competitor?  It's the segment leader, maybe not in sales, but overall. 

So what vehicle is Mazda making for Toyota in Mexico?  Will production move from France to Mexico next year?  Looking forward to the Mazda2.  We have never had some many choices in this segment.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_new_toyota_subcompact_to_get_mazda2_engine_be_built_in_mexico.html

The Echo, Yaris and Pruis MK2 all have the 1.5 engine. Pretty bullet proof. So maybe not half. Chances are that in the long term IMO it will be more reliable. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »

This isn't 15 years ago. 

The Echo, Yaris and Pruis MK2 all have the 1.5 engine. Pretty bullet proof. So maybe not half. Chances are that in the long term IMO it will be more reliable.

I know that is reliable engine, I had a Tercel.  Probably pretty similar.  Anyway, reliability is more than just the engine, although that is an expensive component.  And I wouldn't want Ford's DSG (or whatever the call it in the Fiesta).  Just saying the Yaris isn't the only subcompact that can make it to 300km, the others can as well.  BTW, in addition to the Tercel, I have had other subcompacts, like an old Micra, and a 1999 Accent. 

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 10:44:46 pm »
This has got to be the ugliest car I have ever seen.  Agree, Toyota and their big mouth grills, kill that with fire.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:02:20 pm »
This has got to be the ugliest car I have ever seen.  Agree, Toyota and their big mouth grills, kill that with fire.

It isn't as ugly as a Nissan Juke, that's for sure.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 11:19:53 pm »

or Cube....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 11:28:22 pm »
The price gap between the Yaris and Corolla is larger than when we bought our car, and today I think the Yaris is worth considering.  It might not come with lots of features or gadgets or nine speed transmissions, but it's a solid car that will last a very long time and would be a very wise buy for someone seeking inexpensive long term motoring.

The interior is greatly improved.  Toyota has certainly taken comments about their interiors to heart and have made changes to every model as they are updated.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 06:44:46 am »

It is actually uglier, but you're wearing those toyota rose colored glasses again. ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota Yaris LE
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 07:45:09 am »

It is actually uglier, but you're wearing those toyota rose colored glasses again. ;D
Lol.  Pot calling the kettle black.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:26 am »
I don't know. It's only the nose...not ugly IMO...more menacing or maybe 'assertive' is a better word. Nicely done though. Gives it a presence.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 09:54:44 am »
Like this?