Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Si  (Read 14676 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:53 pm »
BRZ vs Si has been argued ad nauseum on this forum. It's not the point.

The answer to the Great_big's question is a resolute NO, Testing this thing on a track is NOT a waste of time. Si, a bigger FWD car with a usable rear seat can hold its own against the BRZ with a difference in performance that is negligible for all intents and purposes. It's a matter of personal taste really and a testament to Honda's engineering team who managed to build a FWD car that is a few years old and gives the modern RWD purpose built the-most-fun-to-drive car a serious run for its money, all that while offering a way more comfortable daily driver.

It gets spanked by the MS3, GTI, Focus ST, Fiesta ST from what I recall. They seem to cling to the BRZ comparison, but the BRZ is deliberately handicapped by the Prius tires. Put it on good rubber and it too walks away from the Si.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 05:32:55 pm »

The answer to the Great_big's question is a resolute NO, Testing this thing on a track is NOT a waste of time. Si, a bigger FWD car with a usable rear seat can hold its own against the BRZ with a difference in performance that is negligible for all intents and purposes. It's a matter of personal taste really and a testament to Honda's engineering team who managed to build a FWD car that is a few years old and gives the modern RWD purpose built the-most-fun-to-drive car a serious run for its money, all that while offering a way more comfortable daily driver.

It gets spanked by the MS3, GTI, Focus ST, Fiesta ST from what I recall. They seem to cling to the BRZ comparison, but the BRZ is deliberately handicapped by the Prius tires. Put it on good rubber and it too walks away from the Si.

Exactly.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 06:44:51 pm »
In the end the only safe way for me to park was with the driver’s side against the wall, then climb over the console and out the passenger door so I could let Maddie out.
I will buy you a Burger's Priest burger if you film the above.  My goodness that'd be a hilarious sight of gymnastic proportions.

Tell you what, you buy me and JY both a Burger's Priest, and I'll perform the feat for you live and in person!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 06:54:26 pm »
Civic Type R announced...and it's going to be turboed, yo!! 

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/09/honda-civic-type-r-ushers-turbo-era/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 07:01:18 pm »

Euro Only.  We're never going to see the Type R here.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 07:03:40 pm »

I'm not trying to disparage the Civic SI.  I used to own a 2008 SI.  It was a great car, and a ton of fun.  I just think that they've focused a little too much on the comfort aspect of the car in order for it to be considered a real track day car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 07:16:46 pm »

Euro Only.  We're never going to see the Type R here.

No.  But possibly the engine in the next SI.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:01 pm »
Nice article....sums up the car perfectly.

My 2012 SI sedan seems bare bones compared to the features now standard on the 2014.

I don't understand why Honda markets this car as a track machine.....it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight! This is a daily driver for someone who wants a little spice. More than enough zing for someone who never track races. (I wish I could afford too!) My commute is 60km one way on country roads (95km/h) and I hit 6.0- 6.5 L/100 based on the trip computer.

Lots of nicer/faster option out there but will cost more per month and or unpractical.

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 11:46:45 pm »
Stop teasing us with a Civic with accord engine and call it an Si  :rofl2:

We need a true performance Civic like this:
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/heres-new-honda-civic-type-r-wont-get/

And we need it NOW! why, because my 2008 civic Si Sedan is 6 years old and I need to replace it with a Honda performance vehicle that can seat two adults and two children. A Civic will an Accord engine just wont do it. Come on Honda, show us some guts and bring over the Type R!!!

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:58 am »
Stop teasing us with a Civic with accord engine and call it an Si  :rofl2:

We need a true performance Civic like this:
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/heres-new-honda-civic-type-r-wont-get/

And we need it NOW! why, because my 2008 civic Si Sedan is 6 years old and I need to replace it with a Honda performance vehicle that can seat two adults and two children. A Civic will an Accord engine just wont do it. Come on Honda, show us some guts and bring over the Type R!!!
That Type R looks like quite the car! I'd love to see one... nevermind drive it.

Still I have to ask... you have a 2008 Si which had a really peaky 2.0L if I remember correctly. The 2.4L is similarly powerful with gobs more torque and in a band that doesn't require the screaming RPM's to make it. In theory it's better although I remember talking to a guy who loved the quirky nature of the old Si's engine. I'd probably rather have the Accord engine... but then I bought a Corolla with a Camry engine in it so I could be weird like that :)

Offline Steve C

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3 Sport
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 06:32:22 am »
I think it's time Honda put the 2.4 Earth Dreams engine in the Civic mated to both an auto and the 6 speed manual in the current SI. It doesn't have to be marketed  as a performance vehicle or even called an SI. The SI now looks too boy racer without the performance to back it up. The spoiler and those two toned seats are brutal. The Earth Dreams 2.4 engine is said to dyno at more than the rated horsepower numbers published by Honda, and has propelled the larger heavier Accord to sub 7 second 0-60 times in some tests. Couple that with it's excellent fuel economy, something the current SI doesn't offer. Offer it as a top trim touring model, in both 4 and 2 door models with both transmissions available. Tone down the cheesy add ons and you would have a great car with the right balance of power and economy in a compact yet well appointed car. I won't even dream they would offer a hatchback or wagon version. Also, Honda needs a newer engine for the base Civic. I would say a 1.8 litre version of the current 2.4 Earth Dreams.

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 11:03:55 am »
  I drove the Si, nice car but lacking in low end torque. I bought a Forte5 SX and got them to take off the junk tires and put on Toyo T1 sports. It is a little monster on the on and off ramps now with good all round power and I got 6.3 L per on a drive Stratford last week. I like it more every time I drive it.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:00 pm »
I think I'd be pretty happy with a Si. If I fit.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons