Author Topic: OFFICIAL: Cadillac Moving To The Big Apple  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
OFFICIAL: Cadillac Moving To The Big Apple
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:17:15 pm »

GM's luxury brand becomes separate business unit

Read More...

Northernridge

Re: OFFICIAL: Cadillac Moving To The Big Apple
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:51:55 pm »
A step in the right direction.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:52:59 pm »
"Global Headquarters"  :rofl2: who they kidding. Like to see the sales outside N.A.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 02:06:06 pm »
+1. Next separate the dealerships.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:26:53 pm »
more expensive office space...and this is a step in the right direction how?

They'd be better off building a 6th fricken piston at the GM HQ in Deeeeetroit.  Then rrocket can wave to them on a daily basis.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »

They'd be better off building a 6th fricken piston at the GM HQ in Deeeeetroit.  Then rrocket can wave to them on a daily basis.

GM is a sinking ship on which almost all the passengers are sick with small pox.

Cadillac is one of the healthy guys, he's in the life boat rowing away.

So basically, any move in which they row away from the S.S. GM is a move in the right direction.
Yes, separating = good idea.

...NYC office space and its exorbitant rent = bad.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:40 pm »
Cool , just down the road for mr. t and me
http://www.thebigapple.ca

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:40:34 pm »

GM is a sinking ship on which almost all the passengers are sick with small pox.

Cadillac is one of the healthy guys, he's in the life boat rowing away.

So basically, any move in which they row away from the S.S. GM is a move in the right direction.

Based on what? I mean other than personal bias.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:41:54 pm »
This is what happens when you let execs watch Mad Men.

The seems to be only 30 people moving, plus whatever local talent they pick up. I don't see how this helps or hurts them.

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »
Untangling Cadillac's decision making process from GM is the idea that I like. As a comparison, think about what would happened if the Porsche people had to fall in line and conform to VW's way of thinking – not that it's bad but it will result in VW Porsches (I'm assuming that the Porsche team operates with some independence). The only way for Cadillac to make a Cadillac in their own vision is to be uncoupled from the GM mothership. That's why I like the separation. If New York provides a good environment for incubation and inspiration then so much the better.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 05:08:46 pm »

Agree 100%.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »
selling it in times of hardship is the next step  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 05:49:20 pm »

I think most (if not all) are in the US....but I agree. if they want to be taken seriously as an option to Lexus/MB/BMW they can't continue to be sold and serviced alongside 15K cars.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »

I think most (if not all) are in the US....but I agree. if they want to be taken seriously as an option to Lexus/MB/BMW they can't continue to be sold and serviced alongside 15K cars.

Mini/BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/infiniti, Mercedes/smart all share space in Regina. VW just opened up a separate showroom, but we'll see if that works out long term.

In tough times, high end dealers really suffer, which hurts the brand. It's all been done before, with poor results.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:09:59 am »
I really don't understand how the location of an office would make a difference. If they moved Cadillac HQ to Stuttgart would that turn them into Porsche or M-B?

As for the dealer issue...

BMW and M-B are both high end marques who happen to sell some inexpensive options. GM, Hyundai (Genesis) and Kia (K900) all have the misfortune of being seen to be mainstream marques trying to sell high end cars...
I think it works for M-B and BMW as those dealers are viewed as premium dealers who happen to sell some inexpensive cars, and GM finds itself in the opposite position...

Mini/BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/infiniti, Mercedes/smart all share space in Regina. VW just opened up a separate showroom, but we'll see if that works out long term.

In tough times, high end dealers really suffer, which hurts the brand. It's all been done before, with poor results.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:40:07 am by Kris78 »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 09:19:28 am »
i wish they had gone somewhere other than NY.

They obviously don't build cars there and if it's just 30 some odd people they won't be designing/engineering anything there so it's just a facade.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: OFFICIAL: Cadillac Moving To The Big Apple
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:04 am »

They obviously don't build cars there and if it's just 30 some odd people they won't be designing/engineering anything there so it's just a facade.
You do know that many auto manufacturers have their design studios other than where they build their cars, right?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:06 am »

You do know that many auto manufacturers have their design studios other than where they build their cars, right?

yeah, but the article is saying the "headquarter" is moving.  it's not saying Cadillac is building a design studio in NY.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 11:25:16 am »
yeah, but the article is saying the "headquarter" is moving.  it's not saying Cadillac is building a design studio in NY.
Rent will be higher, the execs will be paid more, and Cadillac's running costs will therefore go up accordingly.  The only benefit I can see is that certain people invited into the office will say "ooooh, ahhhh, shiny!" and therefore it will open up more contracts.  This could have been done in any fancy building near an international airport.  I agree that Caddy needs to visually separate from the rest of GM, but NYC was not the way to do it (unless your office is going to move, in which case, SCORE!).

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
OFFICIAL: Cadillac Moving To The Big Apple
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 02:10:24 pm »

Rent will be higher, the execs will be paid more, and Cadillac's running costs will therefore go up accordingly.  The only benefit I can see is that certain people invited into the office will say "ooooh, ahhhh, shiny!" and therefore it will open up more contracts.  This could have been done in any fancy building near an international airport.  I agree that Caddy needs to visually separate from the rest of GM, but NYC was not the way to do it (unless your office is going to move, in which case, SCORE!).

I disagree.

Cadillac is currently a luxury car brand of GM. The move will position Cadillac to be a fashion/luxury brand that builds cars. But, the brand needs a separate dealer network too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk