Author Topic: Cadillac Will Build New Flagship Sedan In 2015  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Cadillac Will Build New Flagship Sedan In 2015
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:09:09 pm »

S-Class competitor likely to take styling cues from Elmiraj concept

Read More...

Northernridge

Re: Cadillac Will Build New Flagship Sedan In 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:16:05 pm »
Might as well. This would round out the segments for them alongside the ATS and CTS. Doesn't really make sense for Cadillac to not compete in this segment if they want to taken seriously as a world-class luxury car marque.

The cynics may arrive soon but this a logical part of Cadillac's come-back plan. They have to stay the course and the products have to be superb.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:23:15 pm »
I've been trumpeting for a proper flagship for cadillac (and lincoln if they ever really want to come back) for a long time.

It should knock people's socks off.  no more FWD based BS. 

make outside look like the concept,  inside should be less busy..  no BS little screens and touchpads everywhere.

make it SIMPLE but elegant and EXPENSIVE. (poach Apple designers if needed)

and should start at 110k with low pressure turbo 6. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:24:58 pm »
The cynics may arrive soon but this a logical part of Cadillac's come-back plan. They have to stay the course and the products have to be superb.

Agreed.  But two questions:

1.  Will Caddy have anything truly unique to differentiate their flagship?  Like when the LS400 was released, it was ultra-reliable, more usable & comfortable - and significantly cheaper than the Germans.  Caddy won't go cheaper, but what will be their "big draw"?  I'm not sure their current design styling (while very nice) is enough to draw buyers on its own.  Will the elmiraj concept styling be enough?  Or how about differentiating based on vehicle driving dynamics and performance?  But while the ATS/CTS performance appears to be at least as good as the competition (and maybe better, according to all those reviews....) - is "performance" really what the flagship is about?  The people buying an S-class, 7-series, or A8 could easily have bought an E63, M5, or S6 - but ultimate performance obviously wasn't the main determinant.  So maybe some combination of attributes for the Caddy flagship?

2.  de Nyschen seems adamant Caddy won't get into the cut-pricing game.  But does GM really have the patience to weather potentially years of lacklustre Cadillac sales, while the brand re-builds its equity?  That seems to be the plan, but GM has never been known as a far-sighted company....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:11:10 pm by SaskSpecV »

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »
^^Well worded questions – some Cadillac/GM employees are well paid to answer them...time will tell.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »
and should start at 110k     :rofl2:

2.  de Nyschen seems adamant Caddy won't get into the cut-pricing game.  But does GM really have the patience to weather potentially years of lacklustre Cadillac sales, while the brand re-builds its equity?  That seems to be the plan, but GM has never been known as a far-sighted company....

:fiver:    That is the rhetorical question of the month.  :)

As the American middle class sinks into oblivion, so will Cadillac.

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 02:03:15 pm »
^^Should western society ever collapse you can, with full honesty, say I told you so.  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »
 :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 03:35:05 pm »
Sounds like a revival of the XLR to me, based on the new C7 'vette.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 04:01:54 pm »
By doing this, Cadillac is simply trying to tap into a market that it can't. What's the differential? what will attract people into buying a Cadillac flagship? Fact is, if Cadillac doesn't charge less for more, people will likely take their money somewhere else. Cadillac needs to be humble and look at Lexus, instead of trying to look at BMW!

If I was Cadillac's CEO I'd be focusing all my resources on delivering 3 new CUVs to the market by 2016...this is what would drive profits for a potential future flagship.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 07:52:30 pm »

The flagship this go-round will be a large rwd sedan.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 01:58:41 am »
By doing this, Cadillac is simply trying to tap into a market that it can't. What's the differential? what will attract people into buying a Cadillac flagship? Fact is, if Cadillac doesn't charge less for more, people will likely take their money somewhere else. Cadillac needs to be humble and look at Lexus, instead of trying to look at BMW!

If I was Cadillac's CEO I'd be focusing all my resources on delivering 3 new CUVs to the market by 2016...this is what would drive profits for a potential future flagship.

Bang on. Cadillac needs more CUV's now, thats what people are buying. Cars simply don't sell like they used to.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 09:54:58 am »

Bang on. Cadillac needs more CUV's now, thats what people are buying. Cars simply don't sell like they used to.

It's in the works -- one above and one below the SRX.

The problem with developing these crossover models is if Cadillac bases them on the current front-wheel drive CUV architectures used by the rest of GM (think Equinox and Traverse), people will know. They'll see the Cadillac offerings as nothing but tarted up Chevrolets and Buicks.

So, the crossover that's larger than the SRX will have to be based on the same rear-wheel drive platform as the CTS. For the one below, who knows? They might be able to get away with a front-wheel drive biased model but I'm thinking it would have to be based on the ATS.

If those two new models get those rear-wheel drive biased configurations, it kind of leaves the SRX out in the cold with its front-biased all-wheel drive and distinctly front-wheel drive styling. This, too, will have to be changed to match up with its siblings, or it risks being an Infiniti JX...erm...QX60, sitting oddly in the middle of the lineup. At least the JX has third-row seating.

P.S. I had to look up the new name for the JX. So much for that strategy.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 12:50:43 pm »

The flagship this go-round will be a large rwd sedan.
...in other words, a revival of the XLR based on the C7 'vette as a fastback and not hardtop convertible?

...until a hardtop convertible of the same model is released?

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »

It's in the works -- one above and one below the SRX.

The problem with developing these crossover models is if Cadillac bases them on the current front-wheel drive CUV architectures used by the rest of GM (think Equinox and Traverse), people will know. They'll see the Cadillac offerings as nothing but tarted up Chevrolets and Buicks.

So, the crossover that's larger than the SRX will have to be based on the same rear-wheel drive platform as the CTS. For the one below, who knows? They might be able to get away with a front-wheel drive biased model but I'm thinking it would have to be based on the ATS.

If those two new models get those rear-wheel drive biased configurations, it kind of leaves the SRX out in the cold with its front-biased all-wheel drive and distinctly front-wheel drive styling. This, too, will have to be changed to match up with its siblings, or it risks being an Infiniti JX...erm...QX60, sitting oddly in the middle of the lineup. At least the JX has third-row seating.

P.S. I had to look up the new name for the JX. So much for that strategy.

Ironically the SRX has a unique AWD system that is much better than the one from the donor platform. Its a Haldex AWD with the rear ELD (Electronic Differiential Lock); many VWs and Audis with transverse engines don't even have the rear ELD...  Too bad the rest of the SRX design is so much so-so again just like the donor platfom is.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 08:41:42 am »
Enough with the concept....Build it. Looks like an Audi competitor.
Cadillac has taken on the 3 Series. This concept looks like it's ready to try yet another German competitor.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Cadillac Will Build New Flagship Sedan In 2015
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 09:43:13 am »
There is a very interesting niche coming up for Cadillac. Is there anything less cool then a BMW or MB nowadays? Both have become as ubiquitous as Corollas. Mercedes has gone downmarket with the horrible CLA, while it's pretty easy to get surrounded by 3 series at a Toronto stoplight. People will eventually figure out that there is zero prestige in driving the same car as every secretary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 10:47:03 am »
There is a very interesting niche coming up for Cadillac. Is there anything less cool then a BMW or MB nowadays? Both have become as ubiquitous as Corollas. Mercedes has gone downmarket with the horrible CLA, while it's pretty easy to get surrounded by 3 series at a Toronto stoplight. People will eventually figure out that there is zero prestige in driving the same car as every secretary.
In my neighbourhood, Maserattis, Ferraris, and Lambos are all commonplace.  I literally, LITERALLY see one every day.  Depending on where you live, every car can be 'ubiquitous'.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:48:55 am »

:iagree: in oh so many ways.

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 11:03:37 am »
I wonder what percentage of the population purchase/lease new Mercedes/Audi/BMWs...I mean in addition to 100% of secretaries. And even if these cars are ubiquitous, so what? They're excellent cars (well, most on them). Corolla buyers don't get attacked for buying commonplace cars so why would a lux brand buyer?

BTW, cudos to secretaries everywhere for their career advancement and taste in cars (hairdressers too).