Author Topic: The Desire To Own Another One Was Too Great...  (Read 24091 times)

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
Re: The Desire To Own Another One Was Too Great...
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:27 pm »
Got to do a little tinkering with it this weekend.  I gave everything a good going over.  Pulled the plugs out, they're just ngk r's. They look clean, not fouled at all. They've probably been in there for a while. I'll change them in the spring, as well as some new Magnecor 8.5mm wires. The fluids all look pretty good.  I'll probably change the coolant before winter storage.  The tires were all low, around 20 lbs.  I brought them all up to 28, feels much better.  The battery wasn't sitting properly, so I fixed that.

Gave it a good vacuuming and wash. Found a Loonie and 2 dimes...yay!  Also found an old tissue and an empty gum package...eww!  Rainx'd the glass. I'm looking forward to taking a clay bar and a polish to the paint. It needs it quite badly.

I also made a few typical Miata owner changes. I removed the tie down loops that stick out of the grill opening. Looks much better with them gone. I popped the sunvisors off, they're kinda useless and can obscure traffic lights if you're tall. I also disconnected the annoying key-in buzzer.

Hmmm...what next??? ;D
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 09:31:47 pm »
Beautiful!  Can hardly wait 'til you have it on the track!  amazing shape for its vintage.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2014, 11:38:28 pm »

Hmmm...what next??? ;D

Are there still the lame old sealed-beams lighting your way - barely?  If so, swap them out for H4 replaceable bulb units!  Best money I've spent on the Wee Red Roadster.

I've done your list too save for the sun visors as I have the split ones and they work for me.  Talking to lots of Miata owners, the 1.8L seems to like the "plain jane" NGK plugs the best - bonus as they're cheap.  I swapped the old wires for the NGK blue ones and they work well and look good.  (lol)

For oil changes, I've been using a LiquidVac as the car is super-low and access is tough.  I can reach the filter from up top, so no raising the car for me.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 06:53:18 am »

Hmmm...what next??? ;D

Are there still the lame old sealed-beams lighting your way - barely?  If so, swap them out for H4 replaceable bulb units!  Best money I've spent on the Wee Red Roadster.

I've done your list too save for the sun visors as I have the split ones and they work for me.  Talking to lots of Miata owners, the 1.8L seems to like the "plain jane" NGK plugs the best - bonus as they're cheap.  I swapped the old wires for the NGK blue ones and they work well and look good.  (lol)

For oil changes, I've been using a LiquidVac as the car is super-low and access is tough.  I can reach the filter from up top, so no raising the car for me.
"Wee Red Roadster"  Perfect!  Hey 5WD, I've got a feeling you and your car will be taking under the collective wing of the Miata owners here.  :banana:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 10:14:50 pm »

Hmmm...what next??? ;D

I do still have the sealed beam lights. I had the Bosch H4's in my old one, they made a huge difference. A friend of mine thinks he has a set leftover from his 944. If he doesn't have them, they're not expensive to buy.

Out of curiosity, what oil and filter, and transmission oil do you use in your's? As with most vehicle forums, there seems to be long threads on choice of oils.  Interesting to know about the 1.8's seeming to like the NGK R plugs better.

So I guess mine is the Wee Black Roadster then? ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:13 pm »
I'm using the Motorcraft Synthetic Manual trans oil.  It makes for buttery shifts and long life.  It's expensive but you don't change it often, so it makes no real difference in the long run cost wise.

For oil, the Amsoil Signature 10W-30 works great, and I use the Amsoil oil filter as well.  High quality unit.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 10:42:19 pm »
I'm using the Motorcraft Synthetic Manual trans oil.  It makes for buttery shifts and long life.  It's expensive but you don't change it often, so it makes no real difference in the long run cost wise.

For oil, the Amsoil Signature 10W-30 works great, and I use the Amsoil oil filter as well.  High quality unit.
I read through that thread on miata.net.  Good to know that it works well in your's. I'll change that and the diff oil in the spring.  Can't go wrong with Amsoil either.

Thanks for the info!

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 10:48:12 pm »

I read through that thread on miata.net.  Good to know that it works well in your's. I'll change that and the diff oil in the spring.  Can't go wrong with Amsoil either.

Thanks for the info!
Rrocket is an Amsoil dealer. Why not PM him? I just ordered 5 l of the good stuff w/ a filter.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 10:55:51 pm »
^^Thanks for the plug, dude!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »
The Aisin six speed shifts WAY better with the Motorcraft, the five speed somewhat better.  Where I've found the largest difference is when the trans is cold.  It was cranky when cold, and now I can barely tell the difference between cold and hot.

For some odd reason, the old Miatas hate RP products.  Given that they make exceptional lubricants, many owners have tried their stuff with disappointing results, particularly in the transmission.  Many report good results with Redline in the diff, and so I went with that and so far so good.

Lots of yanks on the Miata forum poo-poo the Bosch lights as inferior to the Cibies, but given that I drive the car summer only (long days) and the Bosch kit was easily available from Flyin' Miata, I didn't hesitate to go that route.  In the end, I've been very pleased.  The kit came complete and ready to go and the increase in visibility was dramatic.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 04:24:07 am »

That Motocraft tranny fluid works! Although it's possible it may take a few thousand km to really notice a difference. Some notice an improvement right away; for others, like us, it took about 5,000 km. It improved the cold shifting in our NC and made the shifts buttery smooth overall. Our NB already had buttery shifts but the Motorcraft stuff helped keep it that way in cold weather. Quality stuff! I didn't know about the Amsoil stuff - I'll check it out.

Oh, and we also used Redline for the rear differential fluid.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 10:59:21 pm »

Thanks for the info!
Rrocket is an Amsoil dealer. Why not PM him? I just ordered 5 l of the good stuff w/ a filter.
Thanks!  I've been in touch with Rrocket.  I'll definitely be getting in touch with him again when it's time for oil and filter change.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:58 pm »
Finally getting closer to my standard of clean.  Washed, clay barred, used a polisher for the sealer/glaze, then hand wax.  All using Mother's.  Not too shabby for a 17 year old car!  Had to pop over to my parent's place this morning, figured I'd grab my camera and find a nicer background than my driveway...

Black cars look better in the shade

...now where have I heard that before???   ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:19 am »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 07:01:15 am »
Shiny!   :thumbup:

Please do me a personal favour, and get that Mazda Hawkesbury dealer sticker off the back!    :nono:   :popo:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 09:57:32 am »

Please do me a personal favour, and get that Mazda Hawkesbury dealer sticker off the back!    :nono:   :popo:
I don't always agree with the resident hag, but on this we do.  Time to de-clutter your new ride's pristine good looks. hehe

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 11:48:05 am »

I don't always agree with the resident hag, but on this we do.  Time to de-clutter your new ride's pristine good looks. hehe

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 12:27:13 pm »

It's on my to do list. Trust me, I want it gone too. I just have to do a search of the right way to get it off without damaging the finishe underneath. If I can't  find an effective way to do it, I'll send a pm to our friendly neighborhood detailer/brewer.

...paging Canuck S2K

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2014, 08:02:42 pm »
Finally getting closer to my standard of clean.  Washed, clay barred, used a polisher for the sealer/glaze, then hand wax.  All using Mother's.  Not too shabby for a 17 year old car!  Had to pop over to my parent's place this morning, figured I'd grab my camera and find a nicer background than my driveway...

Black cars look better in the shade

...now where have I heard that before???   ;)

Beautiful...... nice work.  :thumbup:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 08:32:59 pm »

LOL!