Author Topic: 2015 Mustang GT First Test  (Read 29657 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: 2015 Mustang GT First Test
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2014, 10:14:06 am »
GT:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhyZPij2PE
I only wish the end of the hood was a bit lower, that is it should slope more from the windshield to the grille.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2014, 10:54:39 am »
I think Ford missed a great opportunity to the leave the Camaro and Challenger far behind.  They both have over-sized retro looks.  Yes, there are some amazing chassis/engines to be had, but both cars are cartoonish in so many ways.

The Mustang could have made the move to being a modern pony car with sleek looks and V-8 muscle - more akin to a lower segment Corvette with a back seat than an overwrought homage to 1969.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 01:12:56 pm »
A 0.3 second difference in 0-60 could be due to any number of variables, a hot day and/or a green engine. It's a measurement.

This thing had an as tested weight of over 3800 lbs. A lot.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 2015 Mustang GT First Test
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »
I think Ford missed a great opportunity to the leave the Camaro and Challenger far behind.  They both have over-sized retro looks.  Yes, there are some amazing chassis/engines to be had, but both cars are cartoonish in so many ways.

The Mustang could have made the move to being a modern pony car with sleek looks and V-8 muscle - more akin to a lower segment Corvette with a back seat than an overwrought homage to 1969.

Agree
Me too
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »
Ford does not take risks with car designs anymore and they will miss out on the world market. Appeasing the Mustang faithful will only on for a decade.......at a minimum they should build a car RWD performance car based on the same platform that would run in parallel to attract the next generation of buyers who have no idea what the 1960's were about. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 02:04:01 pm »
Younger guys like me would love to see a "modern" design Mustang.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 03:12:01 pm »
Fack, I'm old and want a modern design Mustang  ;D Ford has sent many potential buyers with money elsewhere.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 03:55:14 pm »
Ford has done what they had to do, namely keep the "secretary special" alive.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2014, 05:39:57 pm »

Which allows them the volume to do things like the Boss.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2014, 06:10:41 pm »
Ford does not take risks with car designs anymore and they will miss out on the world market. Appeasing the Mustang faithful will only on for a decade.......at a minimum they should build a car RWD performance car based on the same platform that would run in parallel to attract the next generation of buyers who have no idea what the 1960's were about.

That would be interesting.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2014, 07:24:04 pm »

Which allows them the volume to do things like the Boss.

In reality the secretary special is most likely the Focus these days.  Looks like a nice effort.  The vert will be the money maker for Ford.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:07 pm »
I think it's a great car and a tremendous value.......I also think they didn't hit this one out of the park. Perhaps our fault for having high expectations....

I don't think so, Vman.  Especially after they had shown the luscious concept car.  I honestly thought the day of the "retro" Mustang was over.  So this new car, despite the advances, was a big let-down.

Also, remember seeing it the 1st time at the show?  Our pulse didn't jump a bit....

There's something about the looks I don't dig.....the front looks particularly weird to me...I can't put my finger on it. It doesn't seem to have that nice stance that the old one did - especially the BOSS.

It's the tall hood that kills the front-end looks for me. I think they had to do this because they'll sell the car in Europe, so it has to meet the Euro pedestrian safety regs.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 11:52:33 pm »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2014, 10:58:24 am »
Younger guys like me would love to see a "modern" design Mustang.
Look, I agree with ya'll about the rear - it's too much of a homage and not enough modernity.

The front, on the other hand, is exactly what everyone is asking for.  It's modern, it'll age well, and IMO, looks really, REALLY good. 

I'm a younger guy (younger than you, 1TSX), and I think the front end is the modern design that we want.  The rear is a little bit of a step back from the previous generation's.

...but I don't think that the C7 will age all that well, IMO.  It's a little bit cartoonish and lacks the simplicity, which the Mustang has.  This Mustang may not excite, but it won't look 'old', either, in 10 years.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 01:03:54 pm »
Hmm. Wonder if the '15 GT will work out the way the WRX has for me...
When the re-designed WRX came out, i sure didn't like the styling.  It has totally grown on me since then though - to the point I now really like it.  Doubt the Mustang will do the same.
But, what started me chugging the rex koolaid was a bunch of seat time behind the wheel.  I'd probably have some similar forgiveness of styling sins if I get my hands on a '15 5.0

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 02:14:29 pm »
Hmm. Wonder if the '15 GT will work out the way the WRX has for me...
When the re-designed WRX came out, i sure didn't like the styling.  It has totally grown on me since then though - to the point I now really like it.  Doubt the Mustang will do the same.
But, what started me chugging the rex koolaid was a bunch of seat time behind the wheel.  I'd probably have some similar forgiveness of styling sins if I get my hands on a '15 5.0
I don't know how old you are, Weels, but I am finding it amazing that the current WRX is selling to an older demographic than the boyish racer that was once the sole consumer.

Somewhere on this forum I posted about having sushi on Saturday and seeing a guy with a cane get into a world rally blue pearl 2015 WRX CVT with his equally-old wife.

I guess if you're old and your hearing is going, you don't mind a louder cabin  :rofl2:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 02:21:16 pm »
I think it's a great car and a tremendous value.......I also think they didn't hit this one out of the park. Perhaps our fault for having high expectations....

I don't think so, Vman.  Especially after they had shown the luscious concept car.  I honestly thought the day of the "retro" Mustang was over.  So this new car, despite the advances, was a big let-down.

Also, remember seeing it the 1st time at the show?  Our pulse didn't jump a bit....

There's something about the looks I don't dig.....the front looks particularly weird to me...I can't put my finger on it. It doesn't seem to have that nice stance that the old one did - especially the BOSS.

It's the tall hood that kills the front-end looks for me. I think they had to do this because they'll sell the car in Europe, so it has to meet the Euro pedestrian safety regs.
Except they sell the FR-S clone there and a bunch of other cars of all shapes and sizes. It seems to me they rather tried to cater to the locals who have to have a huge engine compartments to install super chargers and if not just coz size matters  ::)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:28 pm »

Except they sell the FR-S clone there and a bunch of other cars of all shapes and sizes. It seems to me they rather tried to cater to the locals who have to have a huge engine compartments to install super chargers and if not just coz size matters  ::)

If they did leave enough room for supercharger clearance....cool....if it was for aesthetics....booo!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

The pancake engine in the FR-S/FT86/BRZ allows sufficient clearance above the engine to meet pedestrian impact standards. Relatively tall OHC V or inline engines don't have as much margin to play with, especially ones mounted longitudinally .
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2014, 06:01:24 pm »
I think it is a very safe revision. They were not reaching at all. The version that rocket showed would have been much nicer. Almost Fox like reboot of the Mustang is what would have been called for. An opportunity lost, if you ask me.

All that being said, I'm sure it is a very nice car. The last one was a blast, so why wouldn't this one be.

I think their big risk is the next gen Camaro. The Camaro has pretty well always outsold the last gen Mustang. The next one is Supposedly 400 lbs lighter then the current generation, and the Chevy guys have certainly figured out how to make a Camaro handle. Should be interesting.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons