Author Topic: 2015 Mustang GT First Test  (Read 29633 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: 2015 Mustang GT First Test
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:15 am »
Not impressed at all, I see a refresh in 24 months or less.
Really?  What kind of refresh?  I think the styling is evolutionary (a continuum of sorts); powertrains seem to be 'fine'; they won't shed weight in a 24-month refresh; and the interior is touted as a huge step up.  What do you think will change?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 10:18:44 am »
IRS, a kicking V8 and Ecoboost powerplant, I like the looks, improved interior, better handling....personally I cannot wait to try one of these out. I remember driving a Terminator Cobra a few years ago and that car was absolutely amazing, I think this will be even better.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 10:39:06 am »
I think some people were expecting the Mustang to be an S5, M3 or C63 or something.

I think it looks great. The performance seems to be pretty damned good. It's addressed the shortcomings of the previous generation while keeping to its pony car roots.
I think Ford's done what it needed to do. There will be all sorts of higher spec models for those wanting something completely hardcore.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:45:15 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 10:40:32 am »
I think some people were expecting the Mustang to be an S5, M3 or C63 or something.

I think it looks great. The performance seems to be pretty damned good. It's addressed the shortcomings of the previous generation while keeping to it's pony car roots.
I think Ford's done what it needed to do. There will be all sorts of higher spec models for those wanting something completely hardcore.

If it costs $70-80k....yeah sure....but thats what the upcoming GT500 or Shelbys will be for. Actually when they bring those out ze Germans better go run and hide.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 10:44:51 am »

I think it looks great. The performance seems to be pretty damned good. It's addressed the shortcomings of the previous generation while keeping to it's pony car roots.

If it costs $70-80k....yeah sure....but thats what the upcoming GT500 or Shelbys will be for. Actually when they bring those out ze Germans better go run and hide.

It always boils down to price, manufacturing cost and priorities. High performance and a low price means something has to give somewhere else.

Given that this thing seems to be faster around the handling course than the Boss302, I think they've upped their game sufficiently.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 10:45:13 am »
IRS, a kicking V8 and Ecoboost powerplant, I like the looks, improved interior, better handling....personally I cannot wait to try one of these out. I remember driving a Terminator Cobra a few years ago and that car was absolutely amazing, I think this will be even better.
I have always said that Mustangs are big, heavy, poorly handling cars.

...then I kept renting them while in California/Hawaii and quite frankly, I really like them.  Outward visibility/parking is not as easy as in a Subaru, but it's not impossible.

I always found the base V6 to be a great engine with plenty of power and reasonable fuel economy (so long as you're not always in stop n' go traffic).

If this thing finally handles well, has an engine that will have a better weight balance and more power (maybe more efficient?), then I don't see how it's such a 'failure'.

Personally, a Mustang is a convertible or bust, though...but that angers me because the convertible with the 2.3T is only available in 'premium' trim, meaning $7,500 more than the base V6 convertible, and after tax and other forced options, it's $46k instead of $35k if you only want the 2.3T.

Honestly, the base convertible still seems like the best value to me.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 10:51:14 am »
Thats the thing, 400+ hp for $40K is a helluva deal.

...then I kept renting them while in California/Hawaii and quite frankly, I really like them.  Outward visibility/parking is not as easy as in a Subaru, but it's not impossible.

I always found the base V6 to be a great engine with plenty of power and reasonable fuel economy (so long as you're not always in stop n' go traffic).

If this thing finally handles well, has an engine that will have a better weight balance and more power (maybe more efficient?), then I don't see how it's such a 'failure'.

Personally, a Mustang is a convertible or bust, though...but that angers me because the convertible with the 2.3T is only available in 'premium' trim, meaning $7,500 more than the base V6 convertible, and after tax and other forced options, it's $46k instead of $35k if you only want the 2.3T.

See, I can't even stand the convertible ones....the tent on top just makes it look weird....nope.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 10:53:46 am »

I had looked at a V6 manual with the performance pack (Pony pack?) at one point. I think it's very underrated. It accelerated well, it cornered well, and the rear end basically behaved itself, even on a rough corner that I use just for that purpose.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:58 pm »
Really?  What kind of refresh?  I think the styling is evolutionary (a continuum of sorts); powertrains seem to be 'fine'; they won't shed weight in a 24-month refresh; and the interior is touted as a huge step up.  What do you think will change?

I seen it in the flesh at NAIAS and it was disappointing. For what was to be marketed as a "world car" it is a weak effort. Perhaps we will have to wait for the "special edition" models that will cost $10k-15k more to be impressed.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »

I seen it in the flesh at NAIAS and it was disappointing. For what was to be marketed as a "world car" it is a weak effort. Perhaps we will have to wait for the "special edition" models that will cost $10k-15k more to be impressed.

Why would they make a European car clone at Euro car prices? Europeans will just get a European car. Anyone interested in the Mustang is looking for a pony car at a relatively low price.

Northernridge

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 01:42:38 pm »
I also feel a little let down by the new Mustang, it's not bad but I had higher expectations.

In contrast look what GM did with the new Corvette...it was a monumental improvement and has enjoyed all the buzz that goes with it.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 04:20:17 pm »

Why would they make a European car clone at Euro car prices? Europeans will just get a European car. Anyone interested in the Mustang is looking for a pony car at a relatively low price.

I never said European, I said World  :) Look at what Asian makers can deliver in the same price range.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 04:21:03 pm »

I never said European, I said World  :) Look at what Asian makers can deliver in the same price range.

Ummm....the Genesis Coupe......

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 04:33:09 pm »

$33k is the price of entry in Canada for the 435hp GT.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 06:24:22 pm »

$33k is the price of entry in Canada for the 435hp GT.

LOL...Okay....option it out to what I need and its $50k.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 07:26:26 pm »
I think it's a great car and a tremendous value.......I also think they didn't hit this one out of the park. Perhaps our fault for having high expectations....

I don't think so, Vman.  Especially after they had shown the luscious concept car.  I honestly thought the day of the "retro" Mustang was over.  So this new car, despite the advances, was a big let-down.

Also, remember seeing it the 1st time at the show?  Our pulse didn't jump a bit....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 07:48:05 pm »
I built a V6 with the upgraded wheels...nice and cheap!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 09:56:49 pm »
Let's hope some body add-ons and bigger wheels and tires perk up the looks in the GT350 and GT500 models

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 02:22:56 pm »

There's something about the looks I don't dig.....the front looks particularly weird to me...I can't put my finger on it. It doesn't seem to have that nice stance that the old one did - especially the BOSS.

That is also my biggest beef with the new design. I too was disappointed when I saw it in the flesh and it failed to wow me. But I feel a few folks here are a little quick to jump to harsh conclusions:

.3 sec difference can be explained by many factors and judging the car based on 1 reference testing an early production car is highly premature

How can a stock GT having track performances close to the BOSS ones and all the modern features be a loser?; the car can be mod to add adjustable shocks and bigger sway bars if someone interested  can't wait for the new BOSS model that will inevitably be released some day.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 2015 Mustang GT First Test
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:15 am »
Could make a difference. I think the regular Camaro SS looks terrible (well, not for me) while the ZL1 and Z/28 look amazing.
Amazing is pushing it...lots.

But I understand what you mean.