Author Topic: The Weightlifting/Powerlifting/Fitness Thread  (Read 220798 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: The Weightlifting/Fitness Thread
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2014, 05:45:26 pm »
I track and record my intake using an app and my budget is set at 2290 calories per day. My exercise totals +/-12000 calories per week.

I eat 4200cal per day and that keeps my weight stable - but I do adjust down a bit on rest days.  I usually go with 6x700cal meals or 7x600cal meals.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2014, 06:15:06 pm »
I track and record my intake using an app and my budget is set at 2290 calories per day. My exercise totals +/-12000 calories per week.

I eat 4200cal per day and that keeps my weight stable - but I do adjust down a bit on rest days.  I usually go with 6x700cal meals or 7x600cal meals.

No way I could do 4000 cal. My metabolism must be much lower  ??? 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2014, 11:05:59 pm »
Even though I only weigh 155lbs (meaning I burn fewer calories than someone heavier given the same level of activity) my body fat level is very low - meaning that a lot of that body weight is calorie burning muscle.

And yes, my activity level is very, very high.  A light day is 60min of biking/running/etc.  Also, I often do split work outs - meaning that I get more post-workout metabolic burn.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Weightlifting/Fitness Thread
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2014, 11:56:30 pm »

A little more muscle on that frame Snowy and you could up your cals. John is also once active son-of-a-:censor:.
The bodybuilder guy at work says he had to eat so much, that eating became a chore and he started to dread it. It no longer was pleasurable and just became part of a routine.

That would suck.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2014, 08:16:32 am »

A little more muscle on that frame Snowy and you could up your cals. John is also once active son-of-a-:censor:.

I'm good with the cyclist swimmer body type. Makes for easy fitting at Harry's  :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2014, 09:30:00 am »
Makes for easy fitting at Harry's  :)

There's something to that.  It's harder than ever to buy suits with a large "drop" (the difference between the jacket and pant size) as even the Yuro brands now have shrunk theirs.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2014, 01:42:23 pm »
Makes for easy fitting at Harry's  :)

There's something to that.  It's harder than ever to buy suits with a large "drop" (the difference between the jacket and pant size) as even the Yuro brands now have shrunk theirs.

Ron, I want to try and be clear that bodybuilding is a completely different ballpark from weightlifting for fitness or sport. There are drugs, silly diets, ridiculous contest cutting and manipulation, and it's base on isolation and symmetry. I am not a fan. I resent that people think of bodybuilders when they think of lifting weights.......

it's why marketing companies developed terms like "toning" - there's no such thing. But, it doesn't scare away women like when you tell them "there's either strong or not strong."

People think they're going to look like a bodybuilder if they pick up a weight. That would like me turning into a PhD because I pick up a book.
I am aware of that. Just as powerlifting is as different as the run of the mill weight training most people do at the gym.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »
Powerlifting just takes the basics of weight training and turns it into a sport/competition.

There's no B.S.....

Well there is no BS as far as it concerns you personally, because you're a stand up guy.  But whenever something is turned into a sport/competition, PEDs tend to rear their head.  Powerlifting and bodybuilding are both quite tainted by this.

BTW...your powerlifting shoes?  Do they wear out in a season?  I imagine the stress on them from the bazillion pounds of weight on them in a single year must wear them out.  How often do they need replacing?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:59:33 pm by rrocket »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2014, 09:47:56 pm »
 :rofl2:

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:19 pm »
Powerlifting just takes the basics of weight training and turns it into a sport/competition.

There's no B.S.....

Well there is no BS as far as it concerns you personally, because you're a stand up guy.  But whenever something is turned into a sport/competition, PEDs tend to rear their head.  Powerlifting and bodybuilding are both quite tainted by this.

BTW...your powerlifting shoes?  Do they wear out in a season?  I imagine the stress on them from the bazillion pounds of weight on them in a single year must wear them out.  How often do they need replacing?

I dunno, mine are still in great shape. Soles are like concrete. I don't imagine I'll need to replace them very often/anytime soon. They don't go through the same wear as running shoes, hiking boots, etc.

I do powerlifting but I'm not a powerlifter. I haven't gone to a competition/meet yet. One of my goals. I'm just a middle aged dude with weights in my basement keeping the dream alive and talkin' tough on the internet  :P
Are there competitions for your skill level available? Something like a "rec league" for people who have no intention of ever being pros?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2014, 05:14:40 pm »
As a percentage of bodyweight, who can lift more?  The little guys, or the big guys?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »
Anyone can compete at anytime. Classes are organized by weight. I would get demolished in my category.

Doesn't that mean there's a need for more categories/classes?  I mean..you're not some fat out of shape guy..and you'd get demolished.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2014, 05:26:21 pm »
Anyone can compete at anytime. Classes are organized by weight. I would get demolished in my category.

Doesn't that mean there's a need for more categories/classes?  I mean..you're not some fat out of shape guy..and you'd get demolished.

Not everybody can be the best. I'm not some out of shape guy that can ride a bike but I'm still far from good enough to step on the podium.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2014, 05:34:15 pm »

Not everybody can be the best. I'm not some out of shape guy that can ride a bike but I'm still far from good enough to step on the podium.

Agree 100%, I'm just happy when I have a day that results in a PB.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2014, 05:36:19 pm »

Not everybody can be the best.  I'm not some out of shape guy that can ride a bike but I'm still far from good enough to step on the podium.

You don't have to be the best. Or win.  But competitive is nice.  That's why in for example...softball, hockey, basketball, racing etc....there's different classes to suit all skill levels. Or leagues...A, B, C, D, etc..Doesn't mean you'll win if you play in those classes, but it also doesn't mean you'll get "destroyed".

Understand what I'm saying?  Also...I know Vmango.  And he ain't out of shape.  Hard to imagine how much more in shape he'd have to be so as not to be "destroyed".
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:39:22 pm by rrocket »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2014, 06:04:44 pm »
Understand what I'm saying?  Also...I know Vmango.  And he ain't out of shape.  Hard to imagine how much more in shape he'd have to be so as not to be "destroyed".

Maybe you are taking the word "destroyed" to literal?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »

Maybe you are taking the word "destroyed" to literal?

Oh that's possible too.  But when I use that word...it means what it says.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2014, 06:24:45 pm »

While with weightlifting if you can lift 500lbs, you can lift 500lbs so the guys that can lift 600lbs destroy you and there is nothing you can do except train very hard very long to get up there.

Unless you're in X class if you can lift X percentage of body weight type of thing.  Like a handicapping system.

It would be nice to compete regardless of what you can lift...and not have to wait until you reach 600 lbs (or whatever the number).

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2014, 10:56:37 am »
Hey Vmango - and anyone else who wants to chime in - what are your thoughts on kettle bells? I haven't used them but am curious - they seem to be often used in lower weight increments for higher rep, full-body exercises - seem like they could be good for functional athletic fitness. Have you ever used them?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:50 am »
I use them - and people need to be careful.  There's lots of garbage KB exercises out there and it's not hard to get injured using them.  Start with a lot lower weight than you think and work on technique.