Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3  (Read 6758 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 05:02:03 pm »
i really think old laws should be periodically identified and repealed and I think all the new "elected" law makers must spend at least 2 years repealing sh1tty laws instead of focusing on creating NEW and STILL USELESS laws..
That does happen - but where it costs more money to repeal than to just leave it and never enforce it, they leave the laws in place.

Dangerous/Careless driving isn't going anywhere any time soon - though Careless needs to be made more specific in intent.

yeah.  my mom got slapped with Careless when she SLID on ice.  she literally drives like a granny.  why do we even need distracted driving law?  just slap a careless on all these a-holes... 3 demerits, biatches!

sorry, that was off topic.

I think the new 911 looks epic.    every new generation of 911 (with the exception to 996 regular carrera) has looked better than the one before it..   when 997.2 was new, i thought 'how would porsche make this look better?'  and they did it with 991..

and GT3 is the embodiment of Porsche in a 911 form...   

HOWEVER, i would rather have the vette.   

1. Manual
2. cheaper to buy
3. cheaper to maintain
4. almost as fast
5. V8....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:04:58 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 06:46:20 pm »

Yes lebowski, the GT3 is still fun - a 90-degree corner taken at the speed limit for the straights can be quite fun - there's no law against that, is there? the tension and composure in the chassis and steering when pushing just reasonably past legal limits is still thrilling and captivating. you feel the capability and the potential at most speeds, and while I did occasionally gear up, every turn was a test in balancing the desire to push and being responsible. plus, i know my spots, and after midnight they are pretty wide open, though construction blocked me from some of my favourite spots.

Cool and thanks for sharing. I'm still relatively new to Vancouver but if the early-morning sounds of unmistakeable wide-open throttle are anything to go by, there are a good number of "spots" here too. Now to make some GT3 money!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 12:57:17 am »

Yes lebowski, the GT3 is still fun - a 90-degree corner taken at the speed limit for the straights can be quite fun - there's no law against that, is there? the tension and composure in the chassis and steering when pushing just reasonably past legal limits is still thrilling and captivating. you feel the capability and the potential at most speeds, and while I did occasionally gear up, every turn was a test in balancing the desire to push and being responsible. plus, i know my spots, and after midnight they are pretty wide open, though construction blocked me from some of my favourite spots.

Cool and thanks for sharing. I'm still relatively new to Vancouver but if the early-morning sounds of unmistakeable wide-open throttle are anything to go by, there are a good number of "spots" here too. Now to make some GT3 money!

Early morning driving in Vancouver? Here is the definitive story:

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2014-porsche-cayman-s/
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:11 am »

That was an awesome article - definitely taking notes!

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 10:00:14 am »
I think the new 911 looks epic.    every new generation of 911 (with the exception to 996 regular carrera) has looked better than the one before it..   when 997.2 was new, i thought 'how would porsche make this look better?'  and they did it with 991..

HOWEVER, i would rather have BUY the vette.   

1. Manual
2. cheaper to buy
3. cheaper to maintain
4. almost as fast
5. V8....

Fixed that.  Certainly if spending one's own hard earned dollars, the C7 is much better value than this GT3.   But which would I rather have?   GT3.  Not close.   Even as a manual lover.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »

HOWEVER, i would rather have BUY the vette.   

1. Manual
2. cheaper to buy
3. cheaper to maintain
4. almost as fast
5. V8....

Fixed that.  Certainly if spending one's own hard earned dollars, the C7 is much better value than this GT3.   But which would I rather have?   GT3.  Not close.   Even as a manual lover.

X3....the C7 is a fantastic car but if I could, not even a competition, GT3...black with gaudy orange rims and stripes  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 01:14:01 pm »

Wow, thanks for the link. I missed that the first time.

Great idea for a review, great execution, and stunning photos! Nice job, Mr. McAleer!