Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru WRX CVT  (Read 16960 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru WRX CVT
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:07:06 pm »
A performance machine like this with any kind of auto transmission, let alone a CVT, makes no sense to me.

So a GTR or Porsche 911 with PDK makes no sense to you?

Perhaps because it's over your head....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 11:59:26 pm »

You're on a serious burn-roll tonight.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 12:17:33 am »

Ha!!  I mean c'mon...it's not the 1970s anymore.  Some automatics actually work VERY well these days.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 08:43:08 am »
Great review Mr McAleer, from the best auto journo in the land.

I have a different insight into the WRX CVT due to a peculiar circumstance. Back in late May, I drove a brand new 2014 Impreza CVT hatch loaner for eight days, while my dealer sourced an obscure part for the rusted-out transmission cooler lines on my '08 Legacy GT.

The Impreza's normally aspirated engine was quite responsive with the CVT around town at low speeds. Surprising. The rest of the car was absolute dreck, from school bus steering to roly-poly ride to noisy highway cruisng that sounded like a window was ajar even when it wasn't. Let's not even discuss the interior. Overall, not a patch on my old '99 Impreza.

When I turned the Impreza in to retrieve my LGT, a salesman I know spotted me and offered a ride in a WRX CVT. I was happy to do so to find out whether the Impreza had been transformed from the underachiever it is.

Well, yes, the interior is improved, as well as the ride and particularly the steering, which really needs it.

However, at low speeds around town, the combination of turbo engine and CVT makes for a really dull response, and the noisy exhaust is far from ideal as revs constantly rise and fall. The Impreza is nippier! Let's not even mention the 5EAT LGT which is in another league entirely.

Groan.

Given great bootfuls of throttle, obviously the WRX CVT responds due to its high power, although on the steep hill climb I chose to open 'er up on, I didn't think it was any better than my LGT. Making the right hand turn onto the bottom of the hill at low speed and goosing it halfway around the turn, all the CVT and turbo lag problems mean not much happens for a second or so. The LGT grabs low gear and it's off with much more alacrity. Plus, it revs better. No, it doesn't handle as well as the WRX, but the steering (hydraulic) is in another league entirely - much better.

So, I can quite believe a 3 point turn is a bit of a drag in a WRX CVT. At least on the highway, the sedan body is much quieter than the incredibly noisy Impreza hatchback. I don't pine for that body configuration - you'd need to be deaf to favour it.

There have been dozens of reviews of the WRX CVT, all along the lines of "it ain't as bad as you think it is". I beg to differ. Yes it is as bad as you imagine, but acceptable if you have no other reference. I blame turbo lag for the poor low speed response that the Impreza does not exhibit.

One of these days, the dealership will have a 6MT WRX to test drive, when initial demand slows. I'll try that and see what difference it makes.

Look at it this way, I wasn't nuts about the new VW GTI I drove a few weeks ago, either. Noisy engine, not a real revver, poor nav placement, lightweight feel, crappy shifter, buzzy sun visors (!), ridiculous price for two-wheel drive.

I don't think cars are getting any better in general.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:13 am »
Look at it this way, I wasn't nuts about the new VW GTI I drove a few weeks ago, either. Noisy engine, not a real revver, poor nav placement, lightweight feel, crappy shifter, buzzy sun visors (!), ridiculous price for two-wheel drive.

:o

If you didn't like the shifter in the GTI, you're gonna hate the WRX's.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:58:07 am »
Figured the first post would be the usual battle song.  OMG!! a CVT!!  So effing what.  Can you still get a manual?  Yep.  OK cool.
I really like the WRX a lot, and will be high on my list when I start shopping.  And, yep, I want to test the manual and CVT out.

I can see the CTV in a bread and butter sedan like a Corolla, Accord or Altima, but this is a high performance niche car.  I personally  think it's silly to have one with a CVT or any other automatic, that's e****g what!.  That doesn't mean there aren't people out there that wouldn't buy one, just not me.  No need for crude comments.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 09:02:00 am »
Everyone is so sensitive this week!   ;D
Only point was that if you don't want an automatic, don't buy it.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01:56 am »
*snip*

Did you play around with the S/SI settings? It really helps the low-end response. There's more transmission lag here than turbo lag, but I agree that the around-town stop-and-go is a bit compromised. Really, if you look at the responsiveness of the 2.0L vs the old 2.5, the slack is due to the CVT - and improved by putting it in Sport# (I only used normal mode for commuting. Kind of annoying you have to tweak the switch into sport every time.) Oh, and yeah, hydraulic steering is better. At least the new rack is quick.

Noise/roughness/interior quality are all going to be worse thanks to the higher spec of your daily, and the Leggy GT is a tough act to follow. I'm interested to see what the new 3.6 car is like.

But here's the interesting thing to me about your feedback - I find the new WRX to be a great automatic option for people who are willing to put up with old-WRX foibles. Sounds like it won't coax you out of your higher-end sedan, and at 36K for a Sport-Tech, that's kinda what it needs to do.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 11:28:52 am »
It allows the company to sell more cars, which eventually means greater allocation of R&D towards developing the chassis.
However, plonking the company's CVT into the car just makes financial sense, opens up the market a little, and is surprisingly good fun as anyone who's driven one will tell you.
if i were in the market for a vehicle like this, it WOULD be on my list because it has an "auto" option...the Civic Si was ruled out because it was only available in stick when i bought my Rio5.
^^^This is what Brendan's referring to in the article.  My buddy's dad owned Civic SI after Civic SI after Civic SI for YEARS, but then they copped out and made the SI 6MT-only and the 'sport' trim couldn't hold the road (suspension differences).  He promptly dropped the Civic SI and got a base model TSX auto. 

The AVAILABILITY of an automatic doesn't hurt a car, but opens up sales to a refugee-sized-boat-load of people.  To not have the option of an auto is utterly ludicrous.  Subaru has to run a business.  The CVT was better than making an expensive DCT that people would bash for being too jumpy (*cough, Ford*) and makes their boxer configurations more efficient (as pancakes tend to be thirstier than I4s).

Here's my issue:  I won't buy a manual car.  I don't like them.  I can drive them well, it's second nature to me, but I commute - it's irritating.  Modern automatics with 'manual mode' gives me enough control over the car and I simply don't need the 'more engaging drive.'

My buddy and I argue about self-driving cars a lot.  He makes one very good point, though:  Even if we all were to give up driving on the street for the convenience and safety that self-driving cars bring, there will always be tracks/motorsport where we can let loose and actually enjoy driving. 

The WRX, to me, is a step-up from an economy AWD car.  My car wants are as follows:
1. As small as possible*
2. 'Possible' is subject to my needs (5% of the time or otherwise ;D) and includes:
   a) 5 seats
   b) sizeable trunk
   c) 60/40 split rear seats
   d) not claustrophobic-feeling inside (e.g. the Lexus IS feels cramped to me, and I'm 5'7", 160lbs).
3. AWD
4. Automatic tranny
5. Sufficient power for highway passing, climbing hills without my foot glued to the floor (i.e. my Corolla makes me nervous for driving in/around Ithaca, NY)
6. reasonable interior - as luxurious as possible, but this is secondary to all of the above.

With the above in mind, the WRX w/ CVT checks all of my boxes.  It's reasonably economical (9L/100km is effing fantastic for that car - only BMWs offer the power:economy value that I'd look for, and those would cost quite a bit more).  The only thing that stops me is the Legacy 3.6R.  It's bigger than I want (so violates #1 above), but as far as pricing is concerned, it's far better value.  I don't care about outward "performance" so much as I find the regular Impreza to be underpowered and the WRX is the solution to it.  The firm ride may not be to my taste, nor the tire noise - but that's for me to decide when it comes down to buying.  The heft/dimensions of the Legacy may make the WRX more compelling to me.  Also, the 3.6R will use far more gas in regular driving than the 2.0T.

...the 3-point-turn slowness is concerning for me and something I really need to check out - thanks for pointing it out, Brendan!

Oh, and I should add this in as I submitted this review some time before the S4 JDM model came out: 296 horsepower and 295 lb-ft and the same CVT handles it.
I bet the Japanese specs are on a higher octane fuel.  IIRC, their premium is 99RON which equates to about 94 (R+M)/2.
...and in Japan, there's less (if any?) reliance on Ethanol in fuel.  Ethanol belongs in bellies, not in gas tanks.  :censor: moron politicians that allowed dilution of our fuel.

...but there are enough skinny jean types that can't operate a clutch that want to be seen in a Subaru to make financial sense.
Hey, skinny jeans make my as$ look great!  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 11:32:34 am »
But here's the interesting thing to me about your feedback - I find the new WRX to be a great automatic option for people who are willing to put up with old-WRX foibles. Sounds like it won't coax you out of your higher-end sedan, and at 36K for a Sport-Tech, that's kinda what it needs to do.
See, that's what I'm wondering, myself.  I posted before I read your last post, and you can see that I'm considering Legacy Limited 3.6R vs WRX Sport-Tech.  I prefer smaller cars, though, but the Legacy has way better value for money than the WRX.

With that being said, I would have been more comfortable showing up to the golf tournament (where the lot was filled with Audi, BMW, Porsche, Tesla, and two Maserattis), yesterday in a WRX than in a Legacy (loaded or not).

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 11:43:15 am »
Saw an STI when I was at dealership for an oil change in this 'Galaxy Blue Silica'.  It had me staring at it.
If I end up bringing one home it would be in that colour (minus the wing)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
Saw an STI when I was at dealership for an oil change in this 'Galaxy Blue Silica'.  It had me staring at it.

That is a sweet, sweet car. I agree with ditching the wing.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 11:47:47 am »

Damn that looks good....I agree about the wing.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 12:37:56 pm »
Saw a wing-less new STi this morning.  Me likey.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:54 pm »
It allows the company to sell more cars, which eventually means greater allocation of R&D towards developing the chassis.
However, plonking the company's CVT into the car just makes financial sense, opens up the market a little, and is surprisingly good fun as anyone who's driven one will tell you.
if i were in the market for a vehicle like this, it WOULD be on my list because it has an "auto" option...the Civic Si was ruled out because it was only available in stick when i bought my Rio5.
^^^This is what Brendan's referring to in the article.  My buddy's dad owned Civic SI after Civic SI after Civic SI for YEARS, but then they copped out and made the SI 6MT-only and the 'sport' trim couldn't hold the road (suspension differences).  He promptly dropped the Civic SI and got a base model TSX auto. 

You sure about that story?

Honda's sportiest Civic (called the Si in the States and SiR, then Si, in Canada) has never been sold with an automatic. It's been manual-only since Day-1.

Your buddy's dad may very well have had an automatic Civic Si (or even a string of them), but they were never the performance model: that was the SiR, and it never had an automatic.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 12:54:57 pm »
this 'Galaxy Blue Silica'.  It had me staring at it.
:iagree:
From day 1, that's the colour I was eyeing for the WRX CVT I was/am (maybe) planning on bringing home.

have you driven the new A3 or GLI?  sounds like they are close to what you re looking for.  also, if fuel econ is a big issue for you, sometimes small turbos aren't the best choice.  once you start having to use premium fuel the extra fuel econ gets washed away.  also, the A3 sport back will be coming with a diesel very soon.
Haven't driven the A3 or GLI, but:
1) No Mexican-made vehicle will be in my driveway for a few years (if ever).
2) sat in an A3 and found it VERY cramped inside (i.e. violates subrule 2. d) of the Noto Rules of His Car)
3) While fuel economy is important to me, note that I own a 2011 Forester XT - I know that turbos do not promise better fuel economy...but they're hella fun.
4) Until VW gets its head out of its as$ and fills its dealer network with some competent folk, I won't be giving them a cent.  (before anyone says this is what I say about GM, I respond with: unlike GM, however, I at least respect their vehicles ;D)

positive.

I never mentioned the SiR.  You did.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 01:15:14 pm »

positive.

I never mentioned the SiR.  You did.

The point was that the Civic SI your buddy's dad was driving isn't the same as the Civic SI that is 6-spd only today. Civic SI today = the Civic SiR at the time when the Civic SI had the automatic. Basically the Civic SI today is not the same model as the SI when your buddy's dad drove it with an automatic. Honda never copped out; they just made a model trim change between generations (I think circa 2007?).

The posted pic is a Cdn Civic Si which at the time was the same as the US Civic EX. Mid-2000s, I'm guessing 2004 or 2005?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 01:17:01 pm »
^^ yeah, what he said.

That Civic Si in the picture is just a plain-jane Civic with alloys and a sunroof. It was never the performance model.

So your buddy's dad had a bunch of econobox Civics with automatics (Civic Si), then got fooled when Honda changed their model names. The old SiR became the new Si, and the old Si became the Ex (or whatever.). It has nothing to do with transmission options or lack thereof.

ltruong

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:47 pm »

Ha!!  I mean c'mon...it's not the 1970s anymore.  Some automatics actually work VERY well these days.

I've own Manual cars all my life and my wife's car was the first Auto I kind of like..  DSG WV  6spd.  is a bit jerky but definitely better than transmission from the 90s.  the old " Vacuum" tranny system I hated them.

Subaru actually has good reviews on the CVT the "High torque" one.  I would like to try one on a sport car to see how they feel.  I also wonder if some companies have constant variation in the system instead of simulating gears. which I think would show the maximum benefit in a CVT.  Aren't Skidoos CVT..ish.?  they are pretty fun to ride...getting the sling shot effect from stop to top speed is pretty cool.

ltruong

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 02:55:21 pm »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:58:42 pm by ltruong »