Author Topic: CS Used Car Buying Guide... Can we rely on their CONFUSING advice???  (Read 3666 times)

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
I have been keeping track of the 2.5 Altima Coupe on the "ConsumersReports Used Car Buying Guide" for the last couple of years.

In their "2013 Reliable Used Cars list" they included the 2010-2011-2012s' as a "Good Bet", however, In their "2014" Reliability list they have dropped the 2010 Altima from their list???

In your opinion, is this simply the dynamic of a car getting one year older, and therefore having more service reports added to the "ConsumersReports Used Car Buying Guide" statistical database, or is there something essentially wrong with the 2010 Altima?

I am thinking of buying a 2010 Altima Coupe, the price is right for my budget... But if there is something essentially wrong with the 2010's, I would cough up extra money  to buy a 2011, as you know, one costly repair can outstrip any money that one has saved by buying a 2010 as apposed to a 2011.

I would be very grateful for any information or opinions you would give me on this rather confusing issue.

Thanks in advance for your valued advice :)
LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: CS Used Car Buying Guide... Can we rely on their CONFUSING advice???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:59 am »
it could very much be, like you said, they simply have more data that has pushed it off the list.

I personally wouldn't use CR as a single source decision making tool to purchase something or not.
I'd use the information as an aid.   If they give you access to some of the data, it can help you decide if what THEY deem as not being recomendable, maybe you might not agree. 

If you found an Altima, you like it, it's in the budget - I'd maybe have a really good trustworthy mechanic give it a look over.   You might buy the car and end up having it be perfectly reliable or not. 

When I talk to people about cars, it seems every car has owners that love them and hate them.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: CS Used Car Buying Guide... Can we rely on their CONFUSING advice???
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »
preach it brother.

only comment to add to,
I personally wouldn't use CR as a single source decision making tool to purchase something or not

i wouldn't use ANY single source to make a decision. there are tons of ways to look up info.. use every one you can get your hands on! if each one has an issue with 201 altimas... then you can safely assume there is an issue... if a couple have the issue, (or more, but they all relate to the CR article) then you can probably safely get it!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now