Author Topic: iPhone 6  (Read 64081 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: iPhone 6
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2014, 11:57:00 pm »
Cloud photo backup was actually introduced by Google in 2010 via their Picasa software. I remember because I had an Android then. Apple introduced iCloud with the Photostream cloud photo backup service in 2011. Both preceded the Nexus 4.

Stock Android does not have split screen apps.

And while Android was first with NFC, has it actually taken off?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2014, 12:09:03 am »

I've had it since it was available.  I personally have no use for it.  Have used it to share photos a couple of times (just tap the phone to another and the photos transfer).

Beyond that...little interest in it.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2014, 06:25:23 am »
 :rofl2: Still going to get an iPhone 6 and Apple Watch  :P

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:22 am »
I've got a Nexus 5 has all those features and more.

Yup Apple is playing catchup, while they use to innovate.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:15 am »
So the new iPhone 6 has less screen resolution than the Galaxy S5?

Not much progress IMO....a brilliant screen is the whole point of a smart phone IMO...

Same resolution, slightly lower pixel density.

Ipods?  So fragile, screen cracks all the time, various glitches, batteries that last such a short period.  A little less focus on how sharp the screen should be, I am not watching HD videos on a 4" screen, something a little more sturdy when I am cycling. Yes I should have bought the $50 case first... But maybe they should design it, so it doesn't need that... I don't buy a bumper for my car as an accessory..

My iPhone 5 is two years old and has never been in a case. The edges have a few dings and scratches but it's hardly fragile. Battery life is still decent. No glitches. Obviously it will break if you drop it on concrete or something, but if you're careful the hardware should be able to last.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2014, 08:58:02 am »

I've had it since it was available.  I personally have no use for it.  Have used it to share photos a couple of times (just tap the phone to another and the photos transfer).

Beyond that...little interest in it.

:nono:
Blackberry was first.   :P
They really tried to make this take off but it never did.

Most reviews I've seen are stating the new i-phone are basically catching up with the competition.
They stress however that there's really been nothing truly groundbreaking on smartphones for a while.
(at least that's what I've been ready - but I wouldn't know lol)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2014, 09:08:24 am »
I've got a Nexus 5 has all those features and more.

Yup Apple is playing catchup, while they use to innovate.

This is a simplistic statement. It's also been repeated every time they've introduced an iPhone since the original.

Android tends to compete on specs. In a way, the manufacturers have to because they are competing amongst each other. But this means that sometimes features are added just because. Sure, Android has had NFC for a while now – but its utility on that platform is limited. I don't know anyone who has an Android device that has used NFC for making payments.

Apple on the other hand doesn't bother competing on specs, at least for the most part. They don't tend to introduce new features that are effectively useless. Instead of adding NFC to the iPhone 5 they waited until now, after establishing relationships with the biggest credit card companies and a bunch of merchants. Has anyone else done that? How is that not innovative?

In my opinion, Apple delivers the best user experience, and this is worth far more than having the largest screen, the fastest processor, or the longest battery life. I know plenty of people who were tempted away by Android and have since returned or plan to return to iOS.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2014, 09:17:25 am »
^^^

I'd actually debate the statement that Apple use to innovate and argue they really never did.
Apple has almost always let someone invent or create a product and they swoop in and make it much better.

they didn't create the smartphone
they didn't create the portable MP3 player
they didn't create the smartwatch

they're never usually historically first on some product, but come in with something so much better that they nearly kill all the competition.  They innovate better, sleeker products but haven't really invented too much.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2014, 09:21:30 am »
That's true.  But they aren't even doing that well anymore.

But they will sell millions to fans.  The original iPhone wasn't the first smartphone but they reinvented it for sure.

Android use to suck, I had a ver 2.3 phone and an iPhone at the time.   I went back to iPhone because android os just wasn't good.

But android OS is so much better now, I couldn't live with iPhone it's way behind.

Remember when iPhone couldn't copy/paste lol

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:00 am »
But android OS is so much better now, I couldn't live with iPhone it's way behind.

What is iOS missing that you consider essential? I really don't keep up with what's going on with Android.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:09 am »
Widgets for one.  Oh but maybe they have that now?

How about a back button ;)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2014, 09:30:06 am »
Oh and can you actually add photos to emails now in iOS without pulling your hair out?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:10 am »
You forgot computer and tablet. :) Those markets almost did not exist until Apple came along.

Except maybe in Japan. They had the coolest flip phones that could do absolutely everything back in 2001 and I believe it's only been recently that the Japanese started ditching their flip phones in favour of a candy bar form factor smart phone.

Oh and can you actually add photos to emails now in iOS without pulling your hair out?

You're not holding it right.  ;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2014, 09:41:30 am »
Android is so simple.  Just takes people awhile to get over the iphone apps on homescreen thing, where on Android apps can be on the homescreen or in the app folder basically.'
Oh and Swipe, iphone have that yet?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2014, 09:48:24 am »
I had an Android 2.2 device and while it was neat with some cool features, overall it was an unrefined OS. If any of Google's products deserved a beta designation, it was Android.

I generally like them now. I love the new Sony Xperia Z3, even though it's just a few steps up from the Z2. The new PS4 Play thing is neat, play PS4 anywhere in my house. And that dedicated two stage camera button is top notch. Need to take a quick snap? Pull the phone out of your pocket, press the camera button to open the camera, press it half way to focus then all the way to shoot. How come only Sony and Windows Mobile phones are doing this?

But I am an iOS guy, just like some of you are Android and Blackberry and Windows Phone guys. People should use the phone they like and works best for them. I just get frustrated because it seems the favour doesn't get returned. iPhone users are not Steve Jobs, we did not have that vendetta against Android devices. Get over yourselves.

The only thing I really push people to do is rediscover the joys of driving a manual transmission.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2014, 09:50:59 am »
Whoa android 2.2 was horrible.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2014, 10:01:42 am »
I wouldn't say horrible. It had a wi-fi hotspot. Customizable keyboards. Automatic photo sync/backup. Widgets.

Just unrefined. And phone.app liked to crash a lot.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2014, 10:06:12 am »
Android is so simple.  Just takes people awhile to get over the iphone apps on homescreen thing, where on Android apps can be on the homescreen or in the app folder basically.'
Oh and Swipe, iphone have that yet?

Folders have existed in iOS since version 4.

I think there is something like Swype in iOS 8. Or at least Apple has opened iOS up to custom keyboards.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2014, 10:06:23 am »
Reasons I love my HTC One M8 (and my Galaxy s2 before) over my wife's iPhone5:

I've had a big phone for years now (4.7" with the S2, 5" with the One)

My One has a 1080P screen (unlike the iPhone 6's 720P screen...still haven't caught up)

swipe gestures to wake up the phone in different ways

IR blaster (handy for those times when I've misplaced the TV remote and don't want to get up to look for it right away)

Expandable Storage  I have a 64GB microSD card in there right now, but it will take up to 128GB.

MicroUSB connectivity.  The sheer number of cables I have from previous phones (blackberrys, samsungs, etc) that fit this phone is extraordinary.  I have one at the office, one in the car, one in the bedroom, and one in the living room.  And I haven't had to buy a single cable separately.

Google Maps navigation.  I use it in the car.  Compared to the navigation feature on my wife's iPhone5, it's worlds ahead.  We use the Android nav exclusively.

Stereo Speakers on the front of the phone.  They're LOUD, and I don't have to cup my hand over the back of the phone to hear anything when playing video.

A real file system.  I can plug my phone into my computer and have access to the complete file system on my phone (including the Android install folders, IF I wanted to modify my OS).  I can also specify where I want apps and documents/pictures to download TO on my phone, and move them around at a later date.

Honestly, I couldn't live with an Apple Phone.  My wife can, but only because she uses ITunes to buy music for her work.  She can just purchase and download music right on her phone, then plug it in at work to teach her class.  Honestly, ITunes is the ONLY reason to buy an iPhone over an Android phone.  If you're already in the Apple eco-system, it may make sense.  If not, Android all the way.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:12:01 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2014, 10:10:08 am »
Ipods?  So fragile, screen cracks all the time, various glitches, batteries that last such a short period.  A little less focus on how sharp the screen should be, I am not watching HD videos on a 4" screen, something a little more sturdy when I am cycling. Yes I should have bought the $50 case first... But maybe they should design it, so it doesn't need that... I don't buy a bumper for my car as an accessory..

My iPhone 5 is two years old and has never been in a case. The edges have a few dings and scratches but it's hardly fragile. Battery life is still decent. No glitches. Obviously it will break if you drop it on concrete or something, but if you're careful the hardware should be able to last.
[/quote]

From wiki, "While reception to the iPhone 5 has been generally positive, consumers and reviewers noted hardware issues, such as an unintended purple hue in photos taken, and the phone's coating being prone to chipping. Reception was also mixed over Apple's decision to switch to a different dock connector design, as the change affected iPhone 5's compatibility with accessories that were otherwise compatible with previous iterations of the line.

On April 28, 2014, Apple initiated an out of warranty recall program to replace any failing power buttons of iPhone 5 models which were manufactured prior to March 2013 at no cost.[11] On August 23, 2014, Apple announced a program to replace batteries of iPhone 5 models that "may suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently" which were sold between September 2012 and January 2013."

Guess your lucky...