Author Topic: Road Trip: 2015 Subaru Outback  (Read 38964 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Road Trip: 2015 Subaru Outback
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »
I also heard that cars with a large sunroof offer less insulation/protection against lightning strikes.
glass is not a conductor of electricity, so the glass roof itself will not "attract" any strikes (glass is used as insulators for the power lines on the poles)...and if your car is hit with lightning, there is still plenty of metal to conduct the electricity through its path...one extra "window" isn't going to do anything to inhibit a couple million volts of electricity.

unless it is open, then it will go straight for his tin-foil hat...

:foil:

Cool video
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/officer-describes-saving-couple-from-vehicle-struck-by-lightning-1.1857179

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2014, 10:41:35 am »
Cool video
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/officer-describes-saving-couple-from-vehicle-struck-by-lightning-1.1857179
and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6XGKZxYxA

an interesting thing is the Chevy Silverado wouldn't open the windows or unlock the doors after the quick strike, yet the VW Golf in my video worked fine afterwards...German Engineering??  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:50:09 am by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2014, 11:08:08 am »
Is this really something that worries people?

::)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2014, 11:32:46 am »
Is this really something that worries people?

::)

no kidding!

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »
Sat in the new Outback at the dealership yesterday - interior was very nice, though I didn't go into full dash-stroking mode...  The exterior, for whatever reason, just seems to "work" a little better for me than the previous Outback.  I think it is because the body cladding is less pronounced.  That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the 18" rims, and I didn't see any with the 17" rims either.

Visibility seemed pretty good, but I don't think it was as good as the Forester.  The hood seemed a little higher.   It would need a good test drive comparison to validate that impression though.

Salesman reiterated that they will NOT be bringing an any M/T Outbacks or Foresters though, so I guess I'll be buying elsewhere.

Northernridge

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2014, 08:22:54 pm »
Has anybody driven both the new Forrester XT and the new 3.6 Outback? Which is more fun on-road, with just the driver (no load)? If either can be considered fun that is.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »
Has anybody driven both the new Forrester XT and the new 3.6 Outback? Which is more fun on-road, with just the driver (no load)? If either can be considered fun that is.

Haven't driven the XT, but I prefer non-turbo engines.  The hp on Subaru's 3.6 isn't very impressive, but still would rather drive that than a turbo...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:41 pm »
Haven't driven the XT, but I prefer non-turbo engines.  The hp on Subaru's 3.6 isn't very impressive, but still would rather drive that than a turbo...
why no love for the turbo?

is it just the fuel consumption (you can drive it softly to keep it down, if you have the restraint)?...potential repair issues long term?...a bit of everything?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »

is it just the fuel consumption (you can drive it softly to keep it down, if you have the restraint)?...potential repair issues long term?...a bit of everything?

The method of power delivery.  I find with turbos (not all), you really have to rev it high to get the power.  The fuel consumption doesn't really bother me.  The long term reliability, is also a bit of the issue.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »

The method of power delivery.  I find with turbos (not all), you really have to rev it high to get the power.  The fuel consumption doesn't really bother me.  The long term reliability, is also a bit of the issue.

Not necessarily true.  You may have driven old turbo vehicles or poorly setup turbo vehicles.  Modern turbo vehicles pump a lot more torque at lower RPMs than naturally aspirated equivalents.  It boils down to modern technology (variable valve timing, better flowing cylinder heads, direct injection, etc).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 03:29:30 pm »
i take it you haven't driven a modern turbo car then?

what you describe was true of turbo vehicles from days gone by...my old Mazda MX6 GT-Turbo was like this...the boost didn't kick in until about 3500 RPM, which it then took off like a rocket (normal 4 cylinder when not in boost).

however, most new Turbo cars use dual scroll designs which spool up boost quickly...this is why most of these cars make peak torque from as low as 1250 RPM...essentially, "turbo lag" is a thing of the past...today's modern turbo cars pull hard and down low...they are much more usable and enjoyable to drive now than they were 25 years ago.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:30 pm »
The STi 2.5L turbo is a joyful engine to use.  It's nothing like the lag-prone 2.0's from the 02-style WRXs.  The boosted 2.5L Audi five pot delivers immediate belt-buckle-to-your-spine thrust any time you want, and you never feel left wanting for power.  I haven't driven the little 2.0L AMG engine, but reports are that it's a beast that rips out power and torque at a nanoseconds notice.

Lots of awesome boosted engines around.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2014, 03:37:25 pm »
The STi 2.5L turbo is a joyful engine to use.  It's nothing like the lag-prone 2.0's from the 02-style WRXs.  The boosted 2.5L Audi five pot delivers immediate belt-buckle-to-your-spine thrust any time you want, and you never feel left wanting for power.  I haven't driven the little 2.0L AMG engine, but reports are that it's a beast that rips out power and torque at a nanoseconds notice.

Lots of awesome boosted engines around.

Agreed John, the lag of previous generation turbo engines has bee engineered out of most performance cars.

Offline nbtoab

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2014, 08:04:33 pm »
Up until my kids started hitting their teens, I use to drive fast and hard.  At that point, I thought it might be best to be a good role model and started slowing down, hard to do when you have a taste for fast cars.  Last spring I had the opportunity to replace my wifes old Corolla wagon with a previous model 4 cyl Outback, offered at a hard to refuse price.  Since then, she found it too big for her so I gave my son my car and adopted the Outback.  First off, I agree, this is a laid back car, perfectly suited to our speed limits and never getting speeding tickets. In August, I headed off to the Olympic National Park from Edmonton.  On our run from Edmonton to Kamloops, staying within the speed limits, on a single tank of gas I got 7.0 L per 100 km.  Down at Olympia, it was like being at a Corvette convention for Outbacks, they were everywhere.  As far as a long distance cruiser, this is a very comfortable car and we didn't experience any of the wind noise you'd mentioned.  While there, I also had the opportunity to take the Outback down some rough back roads and I'd have to say, this car rocks in the outback!  Now I'm thinking my wife might like the new WRX, just too bad there's no wagon.  So if you're not in a hurry, I'd highly recommend this car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:20 pm »
Washington State and Montana have places that look like it's illegal to own anything other than a Subaru.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »
Washington State and Montana have places that look like it's illegal to own anything other than a Subaru.

On this side its NH and VT. It was very easy to find my car in the car parks.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »
i take it you haven't driven a modern turbo car then?

what you describe was true of turbo vehicles from days gone by...my old Mazda MX6 GT-Turbo was like this...the boost didn't kick in until about 3500 RPM, which it then took off like a rocket (normal 4 cylinder when not in boost).

however, most new Turbo cars use dual scroll designs which spool up boost quickly...this is why most of these cars make peak torque from as low as 1250 RPM...essentially, "turbo lag" is a thing of the past...today's modern turbo cars pull hard and down low...they are much more usable and enjoyable to drive now than they were 25 years ago.

I am sure they are much more useable now than before.  I haven't really driven the old ones. The most recent turbos I have driven are the Ford Ecoboost.  The 1.6L, the 2.0L, the 3.5.  Give me the V6 over the turbo 4 cylinder in an Escape.  Give me the V8 over the turbo V6 in an F-150.  I am not talking about turbo lag.  They just behave differently.  They aren't as smooth, that's for sure.  I have driven other turbos, like the VW 2.0L in the GTI.  But for that kind of money, I would rather have an Accord Coupe with the V6... Which weighs more than 500lbs than the GTI, and is about 0.5 seconds faster to 100km/h.  But if I could really choose, maybe the supercharged 3.0L in the Audi S5!

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:39 pm »

I've driven both. The XT's Turbo engine and suspension set-up make for a more entertaining driving experience in virtually every facet. I actually found the XT to be a fun car, especially given the room to stretch its legs. I went to the launch on Vancouver Island and got to beat up on it in those crazy mountain passes. There is no question it's a fun car. The Outback is more laid-back and definitely doesn't handle as tightly - more comfort-oriented to be sure.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2014, 09:02:42 am »

On this side its NH and VT. It was very easy to find my car in the car parks.

yup!

usually where there are ski resorts, there are a ton of Subarus!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2014, 09:58:36 am »
I've driven both. The XT's Turbo engine and suspension set-up make for a more entertaining driving experience in virtually every facet. I actually found the XT to be a fun car, especially given the room to stretch its legs. I went to the launch on Vancouver Island and got to beat up on it in those crazy mountain passes. There is no question it's a fun car. The Outback is more laid-back and definitely doesn't handle as tightly - more comfort-oriented to be sure.

Saw a previous-gen XT the other day lowered on some really nice wheels and with a body-colour grille. Looked so good. Too bad they didn't offer a manual.