Author Topic: State of Charge: Tesla Superchargers and Model X plans  (Read 7201 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
State of Charge: Tesla Superchargers and Model X plans
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »

New Tesla Superchargers in Toronto, Cornwall, ON and Squamish, BC ease long distance drives, before launching Model X SUV to market next year

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: State of Charge: Tesla Superchargers and Model X plans
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:31:11 am »
I look forward to a reasonably high density of coin (or plastic) operated charging stations.   This will be a reality in maybe 4 years.  Pull up, plug in and wait 20 minutes while your toonie covers a 10kW charge.  Cheaper than parking downtown in a Canadian city.

The charging station operator makes money and the user saves money.  A charging station could go everywhere they can put an ATM.

This is definitely the future and it appears to be unfolding fairly rapidly.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »
I look forward to a reasonably high density of coin (or plastic) operated charging stations.   This will be a reality in maybe 4 years.  Pull up, plug in and wait 20 minutes while your toonie covers a 10kW charge.  Cheaper than parking downtown in a Canadian city.

The charging station operator makes money and the user saves money.  A charging station could go everywhere they can put an ATM.

Cheers,
John M.

The City of Montreal installed its first public, curbside charging stations in the downtown core. On top of the 2.50$ Hydro-Quebec charge fee, you need to feed the parking meters at the same rate as with any other spot (3$ / hr). Modern life ain't free!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 12:55:26 pm »
The City of Montreal installed its first public, curbside charging stations in the downtown core. On top of the 2.50$ Hydro-Quebec charge fee, you need to feed the parking meters at the same rate as with any other spot (3$ / hr). Modern life ain't free!
While 'fair', objectively, that's kinda bullsh!t right there...on the one hand, you want to promote clean driving...on the other, you f^ck early adopters with a double hit.

As far as the competition goes, they can go to hell.  Volvo with its false nomenclature (Twin-Engine my as$) and $15,000+ premium for the Canadian market over the USDM because 'others are doing it, too, so who cares' - seriously?!  And Porsche with 18-36km?  Potentially great vehicles, but not "competitors" in the true sense.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:58:41 pm by NoTo »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:20:39 pm »
While 'fair', objectively, that's kinda bullsh!t right there...on the one hand, you want to promote clean driving...on the other, you f^ck early adopters with a double hit.

As far as the competition goes, they can go to hell.  Volvo with its false nomenclature (Twin-Engine my as$) and $15,000+ premium for the Canadian market over the USDM because 'others are doing it, too, so who cares' - seriously?!  And Porsche with 18-36km?  Potentially great vehicles, but not "competitors" in the true sense.

I agree with everything you said here.  These are definitely not competitors to the Model X at all.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:35:14 pm »

Cheers,
John M.

$1 / hr sounds good, max 5 hours ? Have some spare change (yes, plastic is an option). L2 30A EVSE

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doc-Borné/1453331958256319?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:38:56 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:24:42 pm »
"While 'fair', objectively, that's kinda bullsh!t right there...on the one hand, you want to promote clean driving...on the other, you f^ck early adopters with a double hit."

$6 for a couple of hundred km isn't exactly peeling the skin off your back.  Maybe we will be seeing all kinds of Park 'n Charge lots all over the place in 5 years. 

Cheers,
John M.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:43 pm »
The general approach to putting Superchargers in-between big cities makes a lot of sense for a car that goes 300+km on a full charge.

One interesting thing, there is a Supercharger (8 bays!) just south of the 401 right off the DVP.
A Tesla owner in the Toronto area would be able to recharge in 30 minutes for free and run most of a week...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 10:43:18 pm »
My office parkade has two "free" electric car charging stations -- included in the $10/day parking fee.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 11:20:06 pm »
The general approach to putting Superchargers in-between big cities makes a lot of sense for a car that goes 300+km on a full charge.

One interesting thing, there is a Supercharger (8 bays!) just south of the 401 right off the DVP.
A Tesla owner in the Toronto area would be able to recharge in 30 minutes for free and run most of a week...

:ttiwwp:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:59 pm »
The 8 bays at 120kW per bay is almost 1MW of total juice, now that's a charging location!!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 10:27:30 pm »
I gotta pass by and hug one of those things, like it were a tree  :P
Do you know the address?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 09:14:10 am »
assuming you live close to one of these (or are passing by it on a long route), it's fantastic!!

...but take my boss, for example, who is still considering a Model S until the MB S-Class cabrio comes out.  He doesn't care that the car will depreciate and he'll lose huge on it.  Money is not an object to him.  He likes the Model S, but even 30 mins is too long for his snobbery.  He would much sooner pay for his own charging station at home than drive to a parking lot for 30+mins.  IF, however, they put in an owner's lounge, with free wifi (so you can work there, for example) or for-fee niceties (like in any AMEX lounge), his snobby as$ would happily go and get a free charge.

...having the 'free' electricity helps those who are trying to make a sound economical investment in transportation.  Selling $80k+ cars with the ability to get free transportation ignores that those with this kind of money won't sit for 30 mins+ while their cars charge.

Superchargers are best for opening up the ability for long-distance trips, but certain planning could get them to be used and profitable by the rich.

With that being said, when the 'budget' Teslas come out, having these supercharging stations will be brilliant for regular users - but 8 bays won't be sufficient.  Hopefully there is room for expansion.

If the above sounds negative, I don't mean for it to - it's constructive criticism and I applaud every effort made to bring BEV back to the market.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 09:57:17 am »
A guy from Moncton owns a gas station just outside of Fredericton and has a Model S. He installed charger in the parking lot and I see his car there a couple times a week.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:02 am »
assuming you live close to one of these (or are passing by it on a long route), it's fantastic!!

...but take my boss, for example, who is still considering a Model S until the MB S-Class cabrio comes out.  He doesn't care that the car will depreciate and he'll lose huge on it.  Money is not an object to him.  He likes the Model S, but even 30 mins is too long for his snobbery.  He would much sooner pay for his own charging station at home than drive to a parking lot for 30+mins.  IF, however, they put in an owner's lounge, with free wifi (so you can work there, for example) or for-fee niceties (like in any AMEX lounge), his snobby as$ would happily go and get a free charge.

...having the 'free' electricity helps those who are trying to make a sound economical investment in transportation.  Selling $80k+ cars with the ability to get free transportation ignores that those with this kind of money won't sit for 30 mins+ while their cars charge.

Superchargers are best for opening up the ability for long-distance trips, but certain planning could get them to be used and profitable by the rich.

With that being said, when the 'budget' Teslas come out, having these supercharging stations will be brilliant for regular users - but 8 bays won't be sufficient.  Hopefully there is room for expansion.

If the above sounds negative, I don't mean for it to - it's constructive criticism and I applaud every effort made to bring BEV back to the market.

I think 0 charge for a charge decision had been made to simplify the charger station design. The drawback of course is there are plenty of wealthy but cheap people who I won't mind wasting 20 min a day if the charge is free, while talking on the phone, browsing internet, etc.
To those who'd like to drive green but have nowhere to charge the car superchargers are a solution, if installed en route.

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 11:44:48 am »

Of course it sounds negative...and disparaging towards your boss. BTW, how many billable hours do have this month?  ;)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 12:42:27 pm »
Of course it sounds negative...and disparaging towards your boss. BTW, how many billable hours do have this month?  ;)
Depends...can I count autos.ca time as billable?  ;D

Last month I had 168 billable hours.  On target for 2,000/year.

My bosses are a bit snobby with their money.  It's not disparaging when it's true ;)

Re: the Tesla, I love it.  I want to see these stations built so that we really can get anywhere/everywhere without any gas.  I'm simply concerned that the stations won't be updated as the number of Teslas on the road increase.  I can imagine waiting >1 hr for a spot TO charge my model S, then waiting 30 mins to get me to 80% (which may or may not be enough to get me to the next station depending on traffic, temperature, etc).

Assuming that it's relatively easy to add spaces and chargers as demand increases, I am absolutely for these charging stations!

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »
  concerned that the stations won't be updated as the number of Teslas on the road increase.  I can imagine waiting >1 hr for a spot TO charge my model S, then waiting 30 mins to get me to 80% (which may or may not be enough to get me to the next station depending on traffic, temperature, etc).
Assuming that it's relatively easy to add spaces and chargers as demand increases, I am absolutely for these charging stations!

Tesla monitors usage and adapts the number of charging bays to accommodate expansion as required.

See:

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/forum/forums/concerns-about-supercharging-lines

TeslaTap.com | May 20, 2014

I've occasionally had to wait. The worst case was an hour at Harris ranch when they had only one stall! Tesla monitors supercharger usage and has been very proactive in adding stalls to existing locations as demand warrants. For example, Harris Ranch now has 7 stalls. Gilroy went from four to 12 stalls. It rarely gets talked about, but location expansions are also going on all the time.