Author Topic: Anybody buy a US car from eBay Motors?  (Read 3687 times)

Offline ElectricMayhem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +10/-69
    • View Profile
Anybody buy a US car from eBay Motors?
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:37:15 pm »
I am considering buying a $40k car on eBay from Texas Direct Auto, and having it shipped to the border for $800.  I am not sure I will save much money with the C$ being so weak, but the selection seems to be much better.

But I am ambivalent about buying a car sight unseen, based on pictures and a third party inspection.  Has anyone here done this, and did it work out for you?   

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: Anybody buy a US car from eBay Motors?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »
A friend of mine just bought a 2012 BMW X5 diesel from Florida from a dealer there after finding the vehicle online.  He had it shipped to Ogdensburg and picked it up there.  It was as expected.  He is very happy with it.  Based on my friend's experience, my suggestion would be for you to find the same type of vehicle through the website of a real 'bricks and mortar' dealership in the US, and deal with them online.

Part of me wants  to have some confidence in the ebay peer-rating system (whereby buyers and sellers rate each other), but there has been evidence in the past that not all of the positive ratings sellers receive are legit...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:48:20 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Anybody buy a US car from eBay Motors?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23:29 pm »
I am considering buying a $40k car on eBay from Texas Direct Auto, and having it shipped to the border for $800.  I am not sure I will save much money with the C$ being so weak, but the selection seems to be much better.

But I am ambivalent about buying a car sight unseen, based on pictures and a third party inspection.  Has anyone here done this, and did it work out for you?
I purchased my Infiniti from a US Infiniti dealer in Maryland in 2010. It was only 6 months old and bought as a used demo with full warranty. But, other than pictures sight unseen until I showed up at the dealer on the day of purchase to drive it home.
Purchasing from a 3rd party In the US I would be far less inclined to do.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?