Author Topic: thoughts?  (Read 6378 times)

Offline jogrady3

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Corolla
thoughts?
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:57:36 am »
Hello there!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Dodge Dart?

any feedback is greatly appreciated!
just looking for something thats not too pricey (21 year old female), get me from point a to point b but still fun and safe to drive.

Thanks!

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:52:51 am »
Good looking car, I would not fear buying one, have not heard anything negative.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:34 am »
I'd be a bit concerned about the long-term reliability of the Dart's Fiat-based drivetrain, there's just not enough info on that at this point. Have you considered alternatives like the Mazda3 or Kia Forte? There are lots of other choices in this segment.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:49:16 am »
I bleed Mopar Blue but I recently bought a Mazda3, the first time I haven't had a Chrysler product in my driveway in 21 years.  There are better choices than the Dart in the category.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1251/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Re: thoughts?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:52 am »
Good looking car, I would not fear buying one, have not heard anything negative.
Apart from the base engine being a turd and Chrysler lying about the availability of the 9 speed?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:08:59 am »
the Dart is decent, but there are better choices...a Civic would likely be similar money, and will be worth twice as much money in 7 years when you sell it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:43:41 pm »
if I would consider Dart I would go only with 1.4l and manual combo

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:10 pm »
In our massive compact comparo done last winter, the Dart finished...12th out of 12 cars. Early Darts had massive reliability issues, many engine / transmission combos were pulled during the first model year. Edmund's long-term car was so bad it was just pulled from the fleet with no explanations.

There are much, much better values out there than the Dart, starting with a Civic EX or Mazda3 GS. Having driven S and LE versions of the new Corolla, it's also quite recommendable.

If you're in a "domestic" area, the Ford Focus is also a stellar option, provided you don't need the room it doesn't have in the back seat.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:05:48 pm »
I said it when it first launched and not a thing has changed; the vehicle is DOA. 

Like Dirty says, get a base 2 door Civic if you want this get me from point a to point b but still fun and safe to drive.  Although it needs to be a 2014.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 02:44:45 pm »
meh.. i'm obviously going to have a slight bias... but i've also driven one for more than anyone here, as well as driven every engine/transmission combo. so while it might be biased, it's also based on actual first hand knowledge rather than someone else's formed opinions.

used, don't bother... as others have stated, the 2013 was a hodgepodge of confusion and mediocrity. too many of the options ended up getting cancelled, or later, included on other models... it will muddy the prices and make it very difficult to know exactly what you bought.

new, they are actually quite decent. best in class?... nope. but i'd say worth a look. the new 2.4L that is standard on all trim levels above the base or the aero version is not too bad at all. i found i could actually get real world mileage less in a new auto sxt than i got in my demo that was a standard transmission 1.4L model...

due to slower sales, most dealers have pretty competitive pricing on simple models. skip se models due to no ac and the 2.0L... GT and Limited are very nice, but too expensive and there are better things to buy at those prices... what to look at are sxt's with the lower level rallye edition... can be had for under 20k, have auto, air, 2.4L, power stuff, bluetooth, alloys, fancy track taillights, etc. and finance at low rates.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 03:27:30 pm »
first hand knowledge rather than someone else's formed opinions.

Your opinion is more formed than perhaps anybody else here.  You get paid $$$$ everytime you tell someone how great this car is! (that's IF they believe you and buy one).

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »
here is some scary truth... i've sold *1* dart! haha!

used to be hard to sell due to price.. now price is ok at the key trim levels... it's just whether it's the best car out there for the buyer.

i just am saying it's not worth dismissing entirely, until it's been driven. your two negatives are things that aren't a negative to me... i don't like the base engine and don't think the 9 speed should be on 4 cylinders... so i'm happy with a 6 speed and the 2.4. gives it more power than most in the class, sounds like a car rather than an overworked hedgetrimmer, and doesn't seem to be missing/skipping gears.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:23 pm »
if I would consider Dart I would go only with 1.4l and manual combo
:o :o the 1.4T is a turd in the Dart!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »
Hello there!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Dodge Dart?

any feedback is greatly appreciated!
just looking for something thats not too pricey (21 year old female), get me from point a to point b but still fun and safe to drive.

Thanks!

I'd look at a Honda Civic/Mazda3/Toyota Corolla...test drive these 3 and make your choice :-)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 04:18:22 pm »
the 1.4 was actually my preferred engine in the 2013's... with the stick. but the only other options were the 2.0 which was slow and... meh. the 2.4 wasn't available until the gt and it was a pumped up one that didn't get great mpg...

but now that the 2.4 is the primary engine and has been tuned to be more efficient in non-gt applications, it is the engine to go for.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 04:40:18 pm »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 04:41:37 pm »

Your opinion is more formed than perhaps anybody else here.  You get paid $$$$ everytime you tell someone how great this car is! (that's IF they believe you and buy one).
i find tooscoops to be pretty honest...his posting history shows he doesn't hold back any punches, and if someone is seriously considering a Chryco product, he offers his opinion on "best value" to ensure the package/options give the best bang for the buck...it isn't that Chryco products are terrible, there is just so many great choices available today.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:33 pm »

i find tooscoops to be pretty honest...his posting history shows he doesn't hold back any punches, and if someone is seriously considering a Chryco product, he offers his opinion on "best value" to ensure the package/options give the best bang for the buck...it isn't that Chryco products are terrible, there is just so many great choices available today.

Agreed! I will personally get in touch with him when it's time to buy a new car - and if I decide to get a RAM1500 diesel.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 05:08:33 pm »
There are much better choices in this segmemt imo.  Have you considered a new corolla, or civic?  They are also Canadian built... :). Lots of deals on at this time of year and that can make a big difference in the final decision.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:52 pm »

i find tooscoops to be pretty honest...

Unless we're talking about nitrogen and other "value added" stuff he sells to his customers... :stick: