Author Topic: Comparison Test: Luxury Compact SUVs  (Read 19807 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Comparison Test: Luxury Compact SUVs
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »
Don't bother arguing about the X6 with Sir Osis. His distaste for this type of vehicle means logic and reason are out the window. He can't admit that this is a niche vehicle that doesn't need to sell in huge numbers to be profitable for BMW.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:09 pm »
The X4 and X6 are both niche styling exercises, but so is the Evoque. And for some reason I know many, many people who are way more attracted to that car than the X4. Hell, I awarded the win of this test to the X4 based on logic, but I find myself lusting more for the Evoque too based on looks alone! 
I think styling is a valid reason to buy (and even build) a car.
My hunch is BMW have hit the targets they expected/wanted with the X6.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:12:43 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:18 pm »
Don't bother arguing about the X6 with Sir Osis. His distaste for this type of vehicle means logic and reason are out the window. He can't admit that this is a niche vehicle that doesn't need to sell in huge numbers to be profitable for BMW.

I'm pretty sure referencing sales numbers and how the vehicle stacks up to its competitors is on the side of reason.

Clapping your hands over your ears and saying "No it isn't! It's a success according to my definition!" would be the side of emotion.

There's a reason why the ZDX was killed off, and why the CrossTour is on the way out. It's a formula that Americans in particular don't want.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 06:10:16 pm »
I'm pretty sure referencing sales numbers and how the vehicle stacks up to its competitors is on the side of reason.

Can you provide evidence that the X6 has not met sales expectations?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2014, 06:21:20 pm »

Yup. But It'll have to wait until I get home. IIRC BMW never stated firm numbers but was trying for over 5K/year in the US. It's been a while though.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2014, 07:24:05 pm »

Yup. But It'll have to wait until I get home. IIRC BMW never stated firm numbers but was trying for over 5K/year in the US. It's been a while though.

Well if that's the case they've met their numbers.

Interestingly, on a per capita basis, the X6 actually sells better in Canada than in the U.S.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2014, 08:20:18 pm »

Well if that's the case they've met their numbers.

Interestingly, on a per capita basis, the X6 actually sells better in Canada than in the U.S.

The link I had was for the ZDX and Acura was projecting 5k a year in Canada. Its best year in Canada was 863 units in 2010.

I thought I had something on the X6, but all I found was a dead link and a bunch of reports saying that BMW project leader refused to give sales projections. I can see why. Who would't want a 5300lb four seater?  :rofl2:

It's possible that I was thinking of the 5GT, which is selling even worse than the X6

Of course, overall sales of the 5 Series GT have failed to trend as BMW projected. The company originally said that it intended to move between 4,000 and 8,000 of the models each year, but 2011 has seen only 720 deliveries in the first four months of the year. BMW sold 2,848 examples last year after admitting that they probably incorrectly judged the model mix early on.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/23/bmw-5gt-sales-disappointing-has-execs-rethinking-5-series-wagon/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:42:58 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:53 pm »
The 5 series GT was a very poorly thought out product. Not only did it cannibalize 7-series sales but 5-series owners defected to the E-class and A6 wagons.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2014, 09:12:51 pm »
The 5 series GT was a very poorly thought out product. Not only did it cannibalize 7-series sales but 5-series owners defected to the E-class and A6 wagons.

Yup. So awkward compared to the 5 wagon, which had a loyal following.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »

If the 5 GT is poorly thought out what is the X6? At least the 5GT works - even though a proper wagon would be better overall. The X6 is the answer to a question nobody asked....same with the crosstour, same with the ZDX, etc.

In a Vacuum the X6 is a nice vehicle and it works for someone with more money than brains. But why ANYONE would choose it over a X5 behooves me. The killer for me is that there are plenty of better options in the BMW lineup let alone through other manufacturers.

Well like I said - the interior size was so close to the 7-series that some of those buyers defected to the cheaper GT. Oops. Meanwhile, BMW assumed that 5-series wagon buyers would be happy with the 5 GT, but they weren't.

The X6 exists purely for people who buy it because they like the styling. It's as simple as that. As much as some people seem to hate it, it has proven successful enough that a second generation exists, a smaller version exists, and competitors from Mercedes and Audi are forthcoming.

Edit: Here's an article about the poor 5-series GT sales. http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/05/23/bmw-5-series-gt-sales-disappointing-3-series-wagon-might-stay/

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »
In its segment last month only three cars sold worse than the X6 YTD, and one of them was discontinued.

Mercedes and Audi can rush in, but all they'll be doing is splitting an already tiny pie. They might sell in China, Russia and the middle east, but there's nothing to suggest they'll be anything other than a blip on the radar here.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2014, 10:52:50 pm »
The X6 weighs startlingly close to my Highlander and Miata combined.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2014, 12:20:19 am »
Nice review with good comments, not just a geewiz look what we have this week.  None are my cup of tea but I like reading about them.

I'm willing to bet the X4 is DOA in the US. It's a hatchback that offers the weight, high centre of gravity and aerodynamics of an SUV and the interior room of a compact hatch. Why bother? Get an X1 or X3.

The Evoq has great styling, but it has the traditional LR reliability.

Out of this lot, the MKC is likely to be the most successful.

I think you are wrong, at least based on the relative success the X6 has obtained so far.

Sir Osis is in denial that the X6 has had any success whatsoever.

It's only popular with Russian thugs. It's a dud in North America. The place where I actually live.
Not true at all. I see many of them around my neighborhood. Also a colleague of mine has one. So no, is NOT a dud. Maybe in the place where you live. I live in Toronto.

Interesting logic.  Based on that I have to agree with Sir, it is a dud as I have not seen a single one where I live.  Not one.  I will need to ask our neighbor who just bought an X1 if they even looked at this thing.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2014, 01:39:11 am »
Since when were the Lincoln MKX and BMW X5/6 considered compact SUVs? The Evoque is the only compact in this comparison.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:52 am »
Nice review with good comments, not just a geewiz look what we have this week.  None are my cup of tea but I like reading about them.

I'm willing to bet the X4 is DOA in the US. It's a hatchback that offers the weight, high centre of gravity and aerodynamics of an SUV and the interior room of a compact hatch. Why bother? Get an X1 or X3.

I think you are wrong, at least based on the relative success the X6 has obtained so far.

It's only popular with Russian thugs. It's a dud in North America. The place where I actually live.
Not true at all. I see many of them around my neighborhood. Also a colleague of mine has one. So no, is NOT a dud. Maybe in the place where you live. I live in Toronto.

Interesting logic.  Based on that I have to agree with Sir, it is a dud as I have not seen a single one where I live.  Not one.  I will need to ask our neighbor who just bought an X1 if they even looked at this thing.

Why would they have looked at a vehicle that costs nearly twice as much?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Comparison Test: Luxury Compact SUVs
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2014, 08:25:37 am »
Since when were the Lincoln MKX and BMW X5/6 considered compact SUVs? The Evoque is the only compact in this comparison.
Wasn't the article about the MKC (not MKX) and the X4 (not X5 or X6)?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2014, 08:58:00 am »

So what you're saying is, you didn't read the article?  :P

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Re: Comparison Test: Luxury Compact SUVs
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2014, 03:42:00 pm »
Wasn't the article about the MKC (not MKX) and the X4 (not X5 or X6)?

So what you're saying is, you didn't read the article?  :P

I... uh... opened up the link... browsed through the article and thumbnails quickly... and uhhhhhh...  :run:

At 160x160 pixels, it looks like an MKX.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »

Regardless...income plays a big factor here, the X6 isn't for everybody with a starting price of ~$68k!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:56:13 am by Tauri13 »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2014, 03:08:29 pm »
The Evoque is probably the most off-road capable of all of the soft-roader offerings, period - from Trax to Cayenne.

i'd like to see the cherokee trailhawk against it.. i know it is classified as midsized in many places, but it's not... i'd be putting it against these guys.

i'll be the first to admit i'm no expert on "off road" topics, but my guess is the Cherokee Trailhawk would mop the floor with the competition if the route was taken to off road territory...from what i have read, the Trailhawk is a pretty capable off roader...a soft roader it is not.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.