Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Chrysler 200 S  (Read 26388 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Chrysler 200 S
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:29:00 am »

Chrysler's entry-level car, re-envisioned from top to bottom, is a stunner, but it turns out much of the beauty is just skin deep.

Read More...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Chrysler 200 S
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:55:22 am »
I get the impression that the engineers and designers had some great ideas and executions, but then the bean-counters came along and said 'cut this, cut this, make this out of plastic, cut this', etc. etc.  You can tell the original idea was for the shift knob to be made out of machined aluminum, but he accountants nixed that idea.  This car is full of wonderful touches, and is an absolute beauty to behold, exterior styling-wise.  It's just a pity it has gotten the 'Chrysler' treatment that is usually applied to their small cars.  They had a chance to make this car something truly special and wondrous to behold, and it seems they've wasted all their effort on a half-baked product.

That being said, get the optional Pentastar mated to the AWD, and I'm sure that all those little annoying interior niggles will just melt away in a glorious amalgam of engine noise and forward momentum.  Floor the gas, and you JUST.DON'T.CARE. about anything else, because all the other midsize sedans are in your rearview mirror.

Pity about the transmission and ride/handling, though.

I think this vehicle may be a PASS for anyone who testdrives any other mid-size such as an Accord, Sonata, Altima, etc.  Unless they really really really love the exterior styling.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:01:28 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:24:05 am »
I get the impression that the engineers and designers had some great ideas and executions, but then the bean-counters came along and said 'cut this, cut this, make this out of plastic, cut this', etc. etc.  You can tell the original idea was for the shift knob to be made out of machined aluminum, but he accountants nixed that idea.  This car is full of wonderful touches, and is an absolute beauty to behold, exterior styling-wise.  It's just a pity it has gotten the 'Chrysler' treatment that is usually applied to their small cars.  They had a chance to make this car something truly special and wondrous to behold, and it seems they've wasted all their effort on a half-baked product.

That being said, get the optional Pentastar mated to the AWD, and I'm sure that all those little annoying interior niggles will just melt away in a glorious amalgam of engine noise and forward momentum.  Floor the gas, and you JUST.DON'T.CARE. about anything else, because all the other midsize sedans are in your rearview mirror.

Pity about the transmission and ride/handling, though.

I think this vehicle may be a PASS for anyone who testdrives any other mid-size such as an Accord, Sonata, Altima, etc.  Unless they really really really love the exterior styling.

You summed it up very well. I had the very same impression as I wrote my review. I re-read it and thought, at some points, I came across as a bit harsh. But then I remembered how I felt about those things at the time I was driving the car. The transmission especially. A complete let-down. So I stand by my criticisms, while happily remembering the sounds the car made and how powerful it felt, once the transmission cooperated. And I think your last statement will definitely hold water for a lot of buyers. Yes, the others come across as bland in the styling department when compared to the 200, but that only goes so far for many buyers, especially when it's loaded up like this 200 S (or higher) and costing the same as the others. Too bad, because it's a beaut!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:44:37 am »
  An informative report. I personally think that I would still prefer the shifter to be column mounted or a la Caravan...which is as good as. I like a big round central (to the steering wheel) speedo with a smaller side tach...if any of the latter at all. I don't like the far apart equal smaller dials much. I have the auto-stick ability to change gears (so to speak) on the Caravan. It's handy in hilly terrain especially when towing but otherwise I never use it and never used it on the old Intrepid either. Still a move away from a large central 'old race car' lever seems positive to me 'on an automatic' and you have a storage compartment there to use...great. The AWD was transparent...not quite...the hump between the rear seats was noticed.(if that is to clear drive components} Perhaps a FWD version does not have this. I can't remember now but seem to think that the old Intrepid had a flat floor back there.
   Anyway a nice looking vehicle. Don't know what a Fiat platform means. The old Intrepid/LHS cars were nice riding vehicles. Yeah...the good old days of the 'T' drive and Cab Forward...and...and... Corinthian Leather. Gosh, when I think about it Chrysler have been a motoring home to us...Dodge Demon...Plymouth Duster...Dodge Dart...Plymouth Duster...K car wagon...Aspen...Intrepid...04 Anniversary Caravan and current 08 Caravan SXT.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:55:54 am by Rupert »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:08:34 am »
  Don't know what a Fiat platform means.

It means it's based on this vehicle's platform:

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:28:51 am »
Entry level? As in below the Dart? I'm misinformed, I thought this was their Malibu, Fusion, etc. fighter.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:31:12 am »
Entry level? As in below the Dart? I'm misinformed, I thought this was their Malibu, Fusion, etc. fighter.

It's supposed to be 'equal' to the Dart, as in the Dart is Dodge's entry-level vehicle, below the Charger, while the 200 is Chrysler's entry level vehicle, below the 300.  The Dart is essentially the 'sporty' version of the 200, like the Charger is the 'sporty' version of the 300.  I'm pretty sure they don't have a compact car to fight the Corolla/Civic/Elantra.  Which is a MAJOR oversight in one of the biggest classes in the market.

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:17 am »

It's supposed to be 'equal' to the Dart, as in the Dart is Dodge's entry-level vehicle, below the Charger, while the 200 is Chrysler's entry level vehicle, below the 300.  The Dart is essentially the 'sporty' version of the 200, like the Charger is the 'sporty' version of the 300.  I'm pretty sure they don't have a compact car to fight the Corolla/Civic/Elantra.  Which is a MAJOR oversight in one of the biggest classes in the market.

And I thought the Dart was supposed to be Corolla/Focus/Cruze fighter.  ???

Tooscoops !

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:12 am »

It's the entry level product under the Chrysler brand, as they do not have a compact equivalent under this brand.  Yes, it does go up with the Malibu, Fusion etc.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:06 am »
It's hard, isn't it?  Their vehicles aren't clearly classed.  I mean the Charger/300 are clearly full-sizers, meant to compete with Taurus's, Avalons, Impalas, etc.  But then they have a single vehicle for each division below that.

Dodge:  Dart --> Charger

Chrysler:  200 --> 300

Other car companies have more:

Honda:  Fit --> Civic -->Accord -->nothing here

Toyota:  Yaris --> Corolla --> Camry --> Avalon

Ford:  Fiesta --> Focus --> Fusion --> Taurus

As best as I can see, the 200/Dart slots in between the compact and midsize class.  It's not a compact because it is available with a V6, nor would I consider the Dart to be a true mid-sizer, as it isn't really as large as the others?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:10 am »

Wrong.  It is not equal to the Dart.  The Dart is in the compact segment with cars like the Cruze, Focus, Civic, Corolla, 3, Sentra, Elantra, etc.

The 200 is more in line with the Accord, Sonata, Camry, Fusion, Malibu, Altima, etc.

In the Chrysler brand, the 200 is the entry level product as they do not have a compact offering like the sister Dodge brand has with the Dart.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:46:02 am »
So, Chrysler doesn't have a compact class offering, and Dodge doesn't have a Mid-size class offering?

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:18 am »
Maybe my problem is that I'm seeing the Dodge/Chrysler brands as synonymous and just thinking about competitive categories that the cars fit into.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:22 am »
The Dart is a compact, the 200 is a mid-sizer.

When it comes to interiors, I kind of glaze over when others describe an interior as cheap or finely crafted. There are a few cars that I found to have cheap interiors and a few that I found to be very nice, but mostly in the past. The differences in most of the cars I've been in lately have been so minor that they wouldn't be make or break to me.

I looked at a 2015 Golf Comfortline. I went back and forth between my XV and the Golf. Other than the differences in styling, I couldn't see anything that I could point to that was remarkably better in either car. The assembly was fine, the materials as far as I could see were comparable. This doesn't of course mesh with the critical consensus which seems to be the Golf is akin to a Rolls Phantom in its interior while the Subaru is closer to a Trabant.

I still really liked the Golf, but it had nothing to do with it's "fabulous" interior.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:28 am »
So, Chrysler doesn't have a compact class offering, and Dodge doesn't have a Mid-size class offering?

Pretty much.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 10:52:28 am »
Seems like pretty HUGE omissions in two very important segments in the market.  Isn't the compact car class Canada's best selling car segment?  And isn't the mid-size segment the US's best selling segment?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 10:54:05 am »
The Dodge mid-size car was the Avenger.

The replacement for the Avenger is reportedly going to be a RWD D-architecture platform to be shared with Alfa and introduced as a 2016.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/barracuda.html

http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:57:33 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 11:05:43 am »
Seems like pretty HUGE omissions in two very important segments in the market.  Isn't the compact car class Canada's best selling car segment?  And isn't the mid-size segment the US's best selling segment?

Sure, but why have overlap within your own company?

It's like GM used to do years ago.

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile all had pretty much the same car with different labels.

If Sir O is correct, I like the direction they are taking by having Dodge offer a RWD platform mid-sizer.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 11:34:59 am »
I'll try to be kind and objective here, so don't boo me yet.

BOOO!!!

Damn, I failed.

Any way, I'll do the writing thing and start off good, then bad, then end good.  How about that?  Yeah?  Makes ya'll happy?  OK!

I really like a lot about this car.  I like that it has some heft (you feel like you're in a tank and therefore feel safe).  I like the way it looks, especially in the rear (the front still seems Sebring-ish to me), but the side profile is really nice.  The interior looks fantastic and I like the use of colours.  UConnect is excellent and the redundant physical controls seem to be a good compromise.  I LOVE that it has a 60/40/passthru.  I love the large vents - this is a big deal for me...when I'm fricken hot, I want to be cooled (and vice versa).  I love that it offers a V6 and AWD (even if it's imperceptible - it's my security bwankee and I simply won't buy a car without AWD).  This is a well thought-out, feature-rich offering from Chryi and I think it's decades ahead of their previous offering.  Quite frankly, it offers much more than many of its competitors.

...but being a new model from a new partnership, it lacks the refinement, I think, that the decades-old cars do.  Hell, look at the Ford F-150 and the Toyota Corolla - re-shaped through the years to get rid of niggle after niggle, keeping the things that owners love.  The Sebring offered nothing to be desired, so I'm happy this 200 is ALL new, but small nuances need to be ironed out.  I say all of this to be as constructive as possible:

1) The glare on the dashboard.  If it's so blatantly visible there ^^^, I can imagine it's worse while driving.  Given the plethora of anti-glare plastics out there, it just seems questionable to me to have such evident glare.
2) The centre stack isn't centrally aligned with the uConnect screen!  Granted, it gives the passenger a bit more leg room, but it'd drive me bonkers.
3) The sliding cupholders are a GREAT idea...except where do they slide into?  (rhetoric) - the centre console storage space...so you really can't use it freely if you store things in every receptacle.  Great idea, but the execution needs to be ironed out.  This sort of reminds me of Kia's steering select (hell, Ford uses it in the Mustang, too, and I'm sure others do as well) - you have the flexibility, but really you're just going to set it once and never again change it.
4) Those A-Pillars are huge.

The Alpine-branded stereo sounds good, but when the volume was even slightly turned up, we heard a terrible rattle with every bass note - even when the bass was turned down.
Unfortunate, given that Gangstas need their beats!

The new autobox hangs on to gears longer than necessary, and this brings about noticeable lag when you’re driving. To be honest, acceleration can be frightening at times, but not in a good way, as it takes between two and three seconds to downshift into the right gear and get a move on, which can be downright scary if you’re changing lanes and moving into faster traffic.
I would rather have a CVT than this...I think transmissions are having a few too many gears without the need for it.

In summary, I think the new 200 looks the part, has a ton of features, and offers a product that, on the whole, gives the competition a real run for consumer money.  However, there is a decided overall lack of 'polish' that needs to be smoothed out to make the 200 a real winner.  Great effort, though.

Other than the differences in styling, I couldn't see anything that I could point to that was remarkably better in either car. The assembly was fine, the materials as far as I could see were comparable. This doesn't of course mesh with the critical consensus which seems to be the Golf is akin to a Rolls Phantom in its interior while the Subaru is closer to a Trabant.
Applaud.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 11:41:16 am »
What a great looking car, in the bland world of Malibus and Camacords this blue beast looks amazing. Too bad that in typical Chry. Co. fashion they went 95% of the way and then, sad trombone, stopped. So many loose ends that could have made the car great. Pity.
Lighten up Francis.....