Author Topic: Blotter can't make up his mind thread...  (Read 15145 times)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Blotter can't make up his mind thread...
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:47:19 pm »
if this is getting old, put up your hand!   :-*

since we're talking about cars is should all be good anyways.

I've said we've figured that a truck would be the best option (utility for what we want perfect)
My lease still has a while, 5 months to go but lately I've come to the conclusion it's coming at the very worse time.  It's not just a bad time in general (2014 almost all gone, new stock, little discounts)
But timing for truck shopping doesn't seem to be great.

We've got the GM twins coming and a diesel for 2016
New Tacoma rumours seem to be picking up for a potential 2016 release
A new Ridgeline coming 2016, a new Frontier coming.... etc..

I'm now wondering if I should somehow hold off and let all these trucks come out and see what happens.
However we still need to replace the Matrix.

I was thinking a 3 year lease but ms blotter is right in saying we should still buy something.
Problem is financing for 3 years isn't going to be in our budget. 
Maybe 4 years depoending on model but 5 years is more likely.  That would put off a trailer purchase for 5 years instead of 3 or even try to trade line a vehicle at year 3 with 2 more years owing.

The other option is something used.   Pay it off within 3 years and use it as a trade in for the truck.
Only catch for the used vehicle, I'd want something that doesn't have too much mileage to keep maintenance costs to an absolute minimum over the 3 year ownership.   

Needs / Wants
- USB for music (i-pod)
- heated seats
- sunroof
- nothing smaller than the Matrix
- AWD

two new options I've thought about is a Subaru Crosstrek, Forester or Outback (Forester / Outback may be out of the price range)  another car that got my attention is the VW Golf Wagon Wolfsburg Edition... It's not AWD but this might be the ONLY exception I'd consider.

thoughts....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Blotter can't make up his mind thread...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:52:22 pm »
oh dear :P

Isn't towing an issue for you?  None of the options you chose can tow more than 2400lbs (and that's only if you get the older model Forester).

IMO, used Subarus hold their value too well to make for good used purchases.  Our 2011 XT was recently appraised at over $24,000 (we only paid $35,495 for it) ~65% residual, and that's what WE should sell it for...not what a dealer would sell it for.

With that being said, finance a Crosstrek, enjoy it for a year or two, then sell it.  The residual will stay high so you'll get quite a bit of your $ back.

The base touring trim has all the goodies you want except the sunroof, and if you want that, the Sport trim si $26k.  In a year or two, you can easily still get >$20,000 for it.

Hell, this one is offering only $2,500 off MSRP for a 1 year old model with >53,000km. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »

I've said we've figured that a truck would be the best option (utility for what we want perfect)
My lease still has a while, 5 months to go but lately I've come to the conclusion it's coming at the very worse time.  It's not just a bad time in general (2014 almost all gone, new stock, little discounts)

I'm now wondering if I should somehow hold off and let all these trucks come out and see what happens.

I was thinking a 3 year lease but ms blotter is right in saying we should still buy something.
Maybe 4 years depoending on model but 5 years is more likely.  That would put off a trailer purchase for 5 years instead of 3 or even try to trade line a vehicle at year 3 with 2 more years owing.

The other option is something used.   Pay it off within 3 years and use it as a trade in for the truck.
Only catch for the used vehicle, I'd want something that doesn't have too much mileage to keep maintenance costs to an absolute minimum over the 3 year ownership.   

Needs / Wants
- USB for music (i-pod)
- heated seats
- sunroof
- AWD

two new options I've thought about is a Subaru Crosstrek, Forester or Outback (Forester / Outback may be out of the price range)  another car that got my attention is the VW Golf Wagon Wolfsburg Edition... It's not AWD but this might be the ONLY exception I'd consider.

thoughts....

Yes.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:11:09 pm »

Needs / Wants
- USB for music (i-pod)
- heated seats
- sunroof
- AWD

thoughts....

Yes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You just got an applaud for that hahahahaha
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:22:24 pm »
For our Outback 3.6R we had a four year lease, but due to changing circumstances decided to get something more city oriented. At the two  year mark of the lease we were no longer upside down, so essentially handed in it in for the XV without penalty. Strong resale made a big difference to us in that instance. YMMV.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:23:16 pm »
Sounds like the loser in this scenario is your dream to buy a trailer.

The truck seemed like a means to an end which was to get the trailer for lifestyle reasons (it was a camper trailer right?). Now it seems the tail is wagging the dog...you can't have a trailer because you don't like the timing for buying a truck. Then you're going to follow this up with secondary decisions that further postpone your trailer purchase.

I think you should buy a used truck, get the damned trailer and have a great life.  :)

Sell the used truck when you find a new one that floats your boat.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:04:19 pm by Northernridge »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:28:00 pm »

Needs / Wants
- USB for music (i-pod)
- heated seats
- sunroof
- AWD

thoughts....

buy a 2010-2012 Tacoma or Nissan Frontier and call it a day. Trucks last forever....

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:48 pm »
For our Outback 3.6R we had a four year lease, but due to changing circumstances decided to get something more city oriented. At the two  year mark of the lease we were no longer upside down, so essentially handed in it in for the XV without penalty. Strong resale made a big difference to us in that instance. YMMV.

That's pretty good and doesn't happen every day...short of a big lease downpayment.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:43:47 pm »

That's pretty good and doesn't happen every day...short of a big lease downpayment.

No down payment at all in this case. The Outback at that point had the lowest depreciation going. Not sure if that's still the case or not.
They put it on the lot, and it was gone in less than a week too.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 05:53:31 pm »
you had hinted at a wrangler a while back right? hold their value, gives you chance to cross having one off your bucket list, fun, easy to sell. 

might be more than you want to spend, but an option.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 06:41:41 pm »
Buy a cheaper used truck and carry on.
Will last a really long time, haul your trailer, be cheap to maintain/fix and you can still swing your trailer and one of these for under $20k.
...and afterwards, you can always enter to win $600 doing a demo derby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_dFXzLXXQ

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »
Sounds like the loser in this scenario is your dream to buy a trailer.

The truck seemed like a means to end which was to get the trailer for lifestyle reasons (it was a camper trailer right?). Now it seems the tail is wagging the dog...you can't have a trailer because you don't like the timing for buying a truck. Then you're going to follow this up with secondary decisions that further postpone your trailer purchase.

I think you should buy a used truck, get the damned trailer and have a great life.  :)

Sell the used truck when you find a new one that floats your boat.

THIS.

Or get a used Subaru. Then you're guaranteed not to be upside down when you trade for what you want later.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 08:04:07 pm »

Yes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You just got an applaud for that hahahahaha
[/quote]

:rofl2:  Agreed. Deserves at least 2 applauds.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »
Buy out the Matrix...? Sell once you're ready to buy a truck?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 08:10:33 pm »
Buy out the Matrix.

1TSX, we think alike.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 11:49:38 pm »
Buy out the Matrix...? Sell once you're ready to buy a truck?

Agreed.... IIRC you can add a year to the lease and prolong our agony  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 12:59:09 am »
Buy out the Matrix.

1TSX, we think alike.

I think he hates it.  ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:05 am »
Blotter is worse than me.  ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:21 am »
Isn't towing an issue for you?

Towing will only be an issue when we get the trailer.

the financial plan (if we stick to it) is to get the trailer in 3 years.
buying the truck now was because I wanted to get out of the lease / paying for something I don't really want game.

The Crosstrek seemed like a decent idea but being "upside down" is a concern.

Buying out the Matrix is not an option.  Sunroof is rusting, I've put on crazy cheap tires to keep costs low and hand it back to walk away.

This idea kinda came to mind because so much will change soon with the trucks.
But I guess we can always be thinking something like that and things would drag on forever....