Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (C 300 and C 400)  (Read 39652 times)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
Re: First Drive: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (C 300 and C 400)
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2014, 03:08:19 pm »
Jonathan, can you please clarify what you mean by
The C 300’s fixed suspension was poised and showed a good range of comfort and sport, though the C 400 we drove on the second day was capable of even greater flexibility

Did the C400 have the air suspension or did you see a significant difference between the C300 and C400 fixed suspensions?

Great article by the way: the most informative I have read until now on the new C Class.

Thanks.

to clarify, by flexibility i meant the range from comfort to sport. The fixed in the C 300 was suitably comfortable for a luxury car, with enough sporty handling to have a bit of fun - tires would be the issue before suspension. The C400, with its adjustability, was capable of being more comfortable (in comfort mode) and more sporty (in sport mode), and its normal middle ground setting may have been better on both counts as well to begin with. A couple days ago i would have said stick with the base suspension if possible (depending on packages), but after driving some of toronto's rough roads in a pretty hardcore sports car yesterday, i think that wider range of suspension tuning on the fly would be a pretty nice feature for a lot of drivers.

Thanks for elaborating. One C&D article suggests to pass on the Airmatic but I was wondering if it was still not a good option for our road conditions (Mtl potholes are definitely competitive with Toronto's). However I am not sure air ride suspension is capable of giving the best handing and I would also worry about long term durability (if buying and not leasing).

In Canada Airmatic is optional (part of Sport package as mmret indicated in his option selection), on the C400 only  (it is available on the C300 in the USA).  I wish it would be a standalone option here too ($1200 US).

It is available as a standalone on the C300 - here is the answer direct from Mercedes Canada reps (with pricing!):

"The AIRMATIC Agility System (483) is:
=> available as a standalone option for $1,800 on the C 300 4MATIC sedan
=> available as part of the Sport Package for $2,800 on the C400 4MATIC sedan"
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: What's with that screen?
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »
It's a beautiful, we'll-rendered sedan, looks like. But am I the only one who wants to violently and quickly rip off that screen atop the dash??

It looks as though, right before presenting it to management, the product planner yelled out " sh/t, the nav screen! Quick, Brenda, hand me your iPad. Who's got glue?! COME ON PEOPLE, WHO'S GOT GLUE!!!"
You are not the only one but Having owned a B250 with a screen like that for a year I think that the positioning and size is much better than if it were lower and smaller. I would be happy if my current car had a screen up in the open like that.

I remember asking the Lexus guys why they did a similar thing in the NX, They said it actually makes the screen far better to use for a driver. They had a whole bit out the "display zone" vs "control zone" or something.

From a safety and ergonomics perspective it makes a lot of sense.

Here's our yarn about it: http://www.autos.ca/auto-tech/auto-tech-new-lexus-hmi-system/

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2014, 03:55:57 pm »
Jonathan, can you please clarify what you mean by
The C 300’s fixed suspension was poised and showed a good range of comfort and sport, though the C 400 we drove on the second day was capable of even greater flexibility

Did the C400 have the air suspension or did you see a significant difference between the C300 and C400 fixed suspensions?

Great article by the way: the most informative I have read until now on the new C Class.

Thanks.

to clarify, by flexibility i meant the range from comfort to sport. The fixed in the C 300 was suitably comfortable for a luxury car, with enough sporty handling to have a bit of fun - tires would be the issue before suspension. The C400, with its adjustability, was capable of being more comfortable (in comfort mode) and more sporty (in sport mode), and its normal middle ground setting may have been better on both counts as well to begin with. A couple days ago i would have said stick with the base suspension if possible (depending on packages), but after driving some of toronto's rough roads in a pretty hardcore sports car yesterday, i think that wider range of suspension tuning on the fly would be a pretty nice feature for a lot of drivers.

Thanks for elaborating. One C&D article suggests to pass on the Airmatic but I was wondering if it was still not a good option for our road conditions (Mtl potholes are definitely competitive with Toronto's). However I am not sure air ride suspension is capable of giving the best handing and I would also worry about long term durability (if buying and not leasing).

In Canada Airmatic is optional (part of Sport package as mmret indicated in his option selection), on the C400 only  (it is available on the C300 in the USA).  I wish it would be a standalone option here too ($1200 US).

It is available as a standalone on the C300 - here is the answer direct from Mercedes Canada reps (with pricing!):

"The AIRMATIC Agility System (483) is:
=> available as a standalone option for $1,800 on the C 300 4MATIC sedan
=> available as part of the Sport Package for $2,800 on the C400 4MATIC sedan"

LOL I guess you can tell the Mercedes Canada they need to update their online configurator because it is certainly not coming up as an available option for the C300. But thanks for the information!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2014, 11:59:10 am »
It's a beautiful, we'll-rendered sedan, looks like. But am I the only one who wants to violently and quickly rip off that screen atop the dash??

It looks as though, right before presenting it to management, the product planner yelled out " sh/t, the nav screen! Quick, Brenda, hand me your iPad. Who's got glue?! COME ON PEOPLE, WHO'S GOT GLUE!!!"
You are not the only one but Having owned a B250 with a screen like that for a year I think that the positioning and size is much better than if it were lower and smaller. I would be happy if my current car had a screen up in the open like that.

I remember asking the Lexus guys why they did a similar thing in the NX, They said it actually makes the screen far better to use for a driver. They had a whole bit out the "display zone" vs "control zone" or something.

Here's our yarn about it: http://www.autos.ca/auto-tech/auto-tech-new-lexus-hmi-system/

I'd rather die in a flaming wreck than have to look at that display on a daily basis.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

I'd rather die in a flaming wreck than have to look at that display on a daily basis.  ;D

what's wrong with it? I think it looks awesome!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2014, 01:47:47 pm »
It looks like an afterthought. If a car has a display, I want it integrated into the dash. Chrysler has managed it with big screens, others can give excuses, but it doesn't wash with me.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2014, 04:10:25 pm »
It looks like an afterthought. If a car has a display, I want it integrated into the dash. Chrysler has managed it with big screens, others can give excuses, but it doesn't wash with me.

The big Chrysler ones are mounted lower on the dash than this one.  It is a greater distance for the eyes to travel away from the road to get the information.  Fact, not an excuse.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2014, 04:15:46 pm »

The big Chrysler ones are mounted lower on the dash than this one.  It is a greater distance for the eyes to travel away from the road to get the information.  Fact, not an excuse.

And this is a big deal why exactly? It's how every single dash has been since cars had instruments/contols.

Toyota made the same argument for their high mounted centre instrument cluster. It landed with a thud and they've since given up and moved back to a traditional instrument cluster. Aesthetics do matter in consumer products.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2014, 04:32:28 pm »

::) ::) ::)

This looks like an afterthought...
'oh we need NAV, darn! let's just throw in an unit and be done with it...
and oh how about some extra screen to display the temperature up top, it will look luxurious
and where do we put the on board computer data?...oh just add another screen':

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:35:56 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2014, 04:33:34 pm »

And this is a big deal why exactly? It's how every single dash has been since cars had instruments/contols.

Toyota made the same argument for their high mounted centre instrument cluster. It landed with a thud and they've since given up and moved back to a traditional instrument cluster. Aesthetics do matter in consumer products.
i agree...you should be watching the road anyway, not staring at your screen...and with some brands burying a myriad of functions through multi screen menus, it simply means you need to fiddle more to do what you would normally do with the press of a button or turn of a dial...when i use my NAV, it simply speaks out when the turns are coming, etc, so there is little need to actually look at it...i think keeping the display built in to the dash not only looks more clean and "finished", but is also less distracting.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34:27 pm »
This looks like an afterthought...'oh we need NAV, darn! let's just throw in an unit and be done with it...and oh how about some extra screen to show useless data, let's go for it' :

agreed, but let's not use Subaru as the industry standard please.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2014, 05:50:00 pm »

::) ::) ::)

This looks like an afterthought...
'oh we need NAV, darn! let's just throw in an unit and be done with it...
and oh how about some extra screen to display the temperature up top, it will look luxurious
and where do we put the on board computer data?...oh just add another screen':

That's integrated into the centre stack as it should be, not tacked on top like a JC Whitney special.

The fact that Subaru goes for utilitarian styling doesn't enter into it. Given their sales success, few others seem to have issues with it.

I'll gladly put up with the Subaru interior than this abortion:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:53:46 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Jp45654

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW, Mazda
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:29 pm »
I'm sure these 'tablet screen' navs tested well in some consumer opinion poll somewhere. Why else would BMW, Mercedes and a few others decide to go this route? Couldn't be because they're cheaper to manufacture right?

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:18 am »
I'm sure these 'tablet screen' navs tested well in some consumer opinion poll somewhere. Why else would BMW, Mercedes and a few others decide to go this route? Couldn't be because they're cheaper to manufacture right?

The upper one is a motorized design that retracts in the dash. The NAV on my car is of the same design and I haven't had no reliability issues; I find it to be by far a better design than the Benz one glued on top of the dash. I prefer that location being more in the line of sight than lower on the dash but I too prefer the integrated design in the dash à la Chrysler than having to stare at one perched permanently on the upper dash. As tpl mentioned the M.-B. owner will likely get used to it but it will always remain so inelegant.

M.-B. missed a great marketing opportunity: they should have made it bigger, a real tablet with a docking station so the owners could walk around with their Mercedes-Benz tablet! :)

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:25 am »
The BMW one does not retract into the dash -- it just looks like it should, but it is fixed in place.

The upper one is a motorized design that retracts in the dash. The NAV on my car is of the same design and I haven't had no reliability issues; I find it to be by far a better design than the Benz one glued on top of the dash. I prefer that location being more in the line of sight than lower on the dash but I too prefer the integrated design in the dash à la Chrysler than having to stare at one perched permanently on the upper dash. As tpl mentioned the M.-B. owner will likely get used to it but it will always remain so inelegant.

M.-B. missed a great marketing opportunity: they should have made it bigger, a real tablet with a docking station so the owners could walk around with their Mercedes-Benz tablet! :)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2014, 09:21:33 am »

I don't think the cost difference would be anything but marginal.

Regardless, the new BMW with the "tacked on" screen looks 10x better than the old BMW, IMO.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:17 pm »
The BMW one does not retract into the dash -- it just looks like it should, but it is fixed in place.

Is it the same for the new 2 Series? It looks like I missed that the last iteration of BMW navigation systems is moving toward fixed screens as well. Darn I still think this is an unfortunate change but it does look better integrated in the dash than M.-B. design.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »
The screen on the new Yukon is just as well placed, but is integrated into the dash. It also has a convenient storage spot behind it.

If GM can figure it out, there's no reason why Mercedes couldn't.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2014, 03:52:50 pm »

If your preference is for it in the dash for aesthetic reasons that's a perfectly valid and fair criticism.
If you think that MB et al have just not "figured out how to do it" that's clearly not accurate.
They've made a very deliberate decision for a usability /safety/ergonomic perspective to do it a different way. Having driven all of the options, and even though I think Uconnect is the single-best infotainment system on the planet, I agree with their argument that having the screen atop the dash makes it easier to use and makes driving safer.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2014, 04:08:15 pm »

If your preference is for it in the dash for aesthetic reasons that's a perfectly valid and fair criticism.
If you think that MB et al have just not "figured out how to do it" that's clearly not accurate.
They've made a very deliberate decision for a usability /safety/ergonomic perspective to do it a different way. Having driven all of the options, and even though I think Uconnect is the single-best infotainment system on the planet, I agree with their argument that having the screen atop the dash makes it easier to use and makes driving safer.

Many screens have similar locations, but are integrated into the dash. Even older MB and BMW systems were. They made a design decision to style it this way for a reason, but I have no clue why.

If ergonomics were that big of an issue, why did they then shotgun a bunch of black chiclets way down on the centre stack?