Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (C 300 and C 400)  (Read 39659 times)

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: First Drive: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (C 300 and C 400)
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2014, 12:41:58 pm »
...so if ~1% of C-classes were sold with RWD, then I see no reason to continue selling it, but I don't advocate for making OliverD et al. unhappy.  Hell, the Rav4 V6 made up >15% of total sales in Canada and it was axed...as was the 3rd row Rav4 at ~5%.  If RWD C-Classes were truly ~1%, I'm surprised it took this long to axe.

It was likely a very rapid decline, though keep in mind that for some years the C250 model was RWD-only. Interestingly, at least for a few years the C350 was RWD-only in the U.S. but Canada offered both RWD and 4matic.

I'm guessing that 1% take-rate refers to models where both RWD and 4matic were offered. When you count in the RWD-only C250 and C63 there's no way only 1% were sold with RWD.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 12:48:49 pm »
...so if ~1% of C-classes were sold with RWD, then I see no reason to continue selling it, but I don't advocate for making OliverD et al. unhappy.  Hell, the Rav4 V6 made up >15% of total sales in Canada and it was axed...as was the 3rd row Rav4 at ~5%.  If RWD C-Classes were truly ~1%, I'm surprised it took this long to axe.

It was likely a very rapid decline, though keep in mind that for some years the C250 model was RWD-only. Interestingly, at least for a few years the C350 was RWD-only in the U.S. but Canada offered both RWD and 4matic.

I'm guessing that 1% take-rate refers to models where both RWD and 4matic were offered. When you count in the RWD-only C250 and C63 there's no way only 1% were sold with RWD.

Likely excluding c63 and after c250 was discontinued, but I didn't dwell on that question. I moved promptly on to the diesel question...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 01:06:24 pm »
I moved promptly on to the diesel question...
Atta boy!

J Yarkony for Mayor of Toronto!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2014, 01:18:19 pm »

Likely excluding c63 and after c250 was discontinued, but I didn't dwell on that question. I moved promptly on to the diesel question...

C250 sedan was still available for 2014 and can still be had as a coupe for 2015.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2014, 05:04:13 pm »
ou might as well add the 4 series gran coupe on your list of cars to test.  i think it's a much better looking car than the 3 series and it adds a bunch of sport features that are extra on the 3er. 

anybody know when the diesel will be available on the c class?

The build and price isn't up, but my suspicion is that its not going to be cheaper than the 3'er sedan, which will put it on par with the C400, at which point...why bother?

the 4 gran coupe is about 2k more than a 3 series but it comes with sport seats, a firmer suspension & a couple other options that are extra on the 3er.  it's a nice alternative imo.  it's lower, wider, a little longer and it's a hatch. in person, it's a much better looking car than the regular 3er. 

4 wheel drive has become a big seller, unfortunately for me, i got hooked on awd but all the companies have killed the manual with awd.  in fact the wife is kind of insisting on awd. 

i love the look of the wagon c class....grrrrrr

Ok found the build and price.  We're up to $60k and not yet at feature parity with the C400....and this is for a 428xi not the 435.

Basically, no way in hell. As expensive as the C400 is, its not BMW expensive. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:34 pm »
Good for Mercedes for including memory seats as standard equipment for the driver on the C300. (not sure about passenger) I can't imagine power seats without memory. In the complaints dept.,they have included keyless go as part of the Premium Plus package for $2400 only after you buy the Premium Package at $3700. Many will spent the $3700 because you get the Pano roof and Nav. but an additional $2400.Come on Mercedes. You can get a sub compact with this function on a car that costs half as much. Also if you want the Sport Package and don't want to upgrade to leather you get a choice of a black Artico interior. A popular interior colour but only one colour choice in Artico?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2014, 06:55:19 pm »
Good for Mercedes for including memory seats as standard equipment for the driver on the C300. (not sure about passenger) I can't imagine power seats without memory. In the complaints dept.,they have included keyless go as part of the Premium Plus package for $2400 only after you buy the Premium Package at $3700. Many will spent the $3700 because you get the Pano roof and Nav. but an additional $2400.Come on Mercedes. You can get a sub compact with this function on a car that costs half as much. Also if you want the Sport Package and don't want to upgrade to leather you get a choice of a black Artico interior. A popular interior colour but only one colour choice in Artico?

Not sure where you're getting this info....US site I suspect?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2014, 07:29:34 pm »

Build & Price is up now on mercedes-benz.ca.

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:49 pm »

Canadian pricing on mbworld.org a couple of weeks ago

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2014, 08:55:36 pm »

Aha...at last. The "Premium Plus" thing threw me off - sounded like a US thing.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:39 pm »
ou might as well add the 4 series gran coupe on your list of cars to test.  i think it's a much better looking car than the 3 series and it adds a bunch of sport features that are extra on the 3er. 

The build and price isn't up, but my suspicion is that its not going to be cheaper than the 3'er sedan, which will put it on par with the C400, at which point...why bother?

the 4 gran coupe is about 2k more than a 3 series but it comes with sport seats, a firmer suspension & a couple other options that are extra on the 3er.  it's a nice alternative imo.  it's lower, wider, a little longer and it's a hatch. in person, it's a much better looking car than the regular 3er.

4-series build and price is up now (along with X4). One disadvantage of the 4-series is that nav is only available as part of the premium package whereas it is standard on the 328i and 335i.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2014, 09:15:17 pm »

AH! I want one...darn! I should have waited  >:( >:(

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2014, 11:51:56 am »
navi is standard on a her now?  interesting..  good catch.

Was a mid '14 change for sedans (minus 320i) and '15 for wagons.

Offline Kman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 08 Acura TSX, 04 TSX, 01 BMW 330Ci, 92 Acura Integra GS-R, 88 Mazda MX-6 GT
What's with that screen?
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:02 pm »
It's a beautiful, we'll-rendered sedan, looks like. But am I the only one who wants to violently and quickly rip off that screen atop the dash??

It looks as though, right before presenting it to management, the product planner yelled out " sh/t, the nav screen! Quick, Brenda, hand me your iPad. Who's got glue?! COME ON PEOPLE, WHO'S GOT GLUE!!!"

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: What's with that screen?
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »
It's a beautiful, we'll-rendered sedan, looks like. But am I the only one who wants to violently and quickly rip off that screen atop the dash??

It looks as though, right before presenting it to management, the product planner yelled out " sh/t, the nav screen! Quick, Brenda, hand me your iPad. Who's got glue?! COME ON PEOPLE, WHO'S GOT GLUE!!!"
You are not the only one but Having owned a B250 with a screen like that for a year I think that the positioning and size is much better than if it were lower and smaller. I would be happy if my current car had a screen up in the open like that.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: What's with that screen?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2014, 05:14:45 pm »

:rofl:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2014, 05:42:04 pm »
Sign of the times, I suggest you guys get over it. I have with automatic transmission in performance cars.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2014, 12:31:53 pm »
Jonathan, can you please clarify what you mean by
The C 300’s fixed suspension was poised and showed a good range of comfort and sport, though the C 400 we drove on the second day was capable of even greater flexibility

Did the C400 have the air suspension or did you see a significant difference between the C300 and C400 fixed suspensions?

Great article by the way: the most informative I have read until now on the new C Class.

Thanks.

to clarify, by flexibility i meant the range from comfort to sport. The fixed in the C 300 was suitably comfortable for a luxury car, with enough sporty handling to have a bit of fun - tires would be the issue before suspension. The C400, with its adjustability, was capable of being more comfortable (in comfort mode) and more sporty (in sport mode), and its normal middle ground setting may have been better on both counts as well to begin with. A couple days ago i would have said stick with the base suspension if possible (depending on packages), but after driving some of toronto's rough roads in a pretty hardcore sports car yesterday, i think that wider range of suspension tuning on the fly would be a pretty nice feature for a lot of drivers.

Thanks for elaborating. One C&D article suggests to pass on the Airmatic but I was wondering if it was still not a good option for our road conditions (Mtl potholes are definitely competitive with Toronto's). However I am not sure air ride suspension is capable of giving the best handing and I would also worry about long term durability (if buying and not leasing).

In Canada Airmatic is optional (part of Sport package as mmret indicated in his option selection), on the C400 only  (it is available on the C300 in the USA).  I wish it would be a standalone option here too ($1200 US).

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2014, 12:39:18 pm »

4 wheel drive has become a big seller, unfortunately for me, i got hooked on awd but all the companies have killed the manual with awd.  in fact the wife is kind of insisting on awd. 

i love the look of the wagon c class....grrrrrr

Ok found the build and price.  We're up to $60k and not yet at feature parity with the C400....and this is for a 428xi not the 435.

Basically, no way in hell. As expensive as the C400 is, its not BMW expensive. :)

Based on the BMW.ca configurator, a 335i Xdrive (sedan or GT) built with the options you like (you and I have similar taste except I prefer AWD for a sedan) would run $68k-$70K. Gone are the days BMW was price competitive with the C Class...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2014, 01:21:28 pm »
Yeah, $68k is just nuts. Guess I am just not in the target market.