Author Topic: Demolition Derby/Monster Trucks  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Demolition Derby/Monster Trucks
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:36:40 pm »
'MURICA!

So Saturday August 23, 2014, I was whisked away to the lovely municipality of Trumansburg, NY, on the western shore of Cayuga Lake.  While I typically enjoy the wineries nearby and the absurdly cheap golf ($25 for unlimited golf, with powercart, and a free bucket for the range), on this occasion I was taken to the Trumansburg Fair: http://www.trumansburgfair.info/

The event calendar simply stated:
SATURDAY - MONSTER TRUCK/FIREWORKS!  - $7.00

I was sad to have missed the Bear Mountain (i.e. grizzly bears riding little bicycles wearing hats), but I caught:
-The ILLUMINATOR!!! 

-Car flipping (drive up a ramp under the left wheels only - points awarded for number of flips, etc)
-Car demo derby
-Minivan demo derby
-Truck and SUV demo derby
-The ILLUMINATOR (again, since it lost its two left wheels on one of the first jumps of the evening following an insane recovery - I was sure the truck was going to flip)
-Fireworks, a la redneck

So this was my first foray into the redneck world of irresponsible entertainment.  I can't say that I was fully comfortable, given my line of work (and thinking, "OUCH, F*CK, HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!?!, wait - why are my clients so injured and you folk walk away smiling?"), but Lady Noto will attest that I was the loudest one there cheering on the carnage. 

All I can say is that it was well worth the $7 admission fee (I'm still shaking my fist that movies last half as long and cost nearly twice as much) and the entertainment value was second to none.

One of the best moments was seeing an old Cavalier flip, have 7 guys run out in t-shirts and jeans to check if the driver was ok, then after the thumbs up, the 7 of them flipped the car back over.  The front left strut was broken, but the driver looked at it, nodded to say "yeah, I can fix it" and sure enough, did second AND THIRD runs 5 mins later.  Insane, those automotive folk.

...oh, and I won Lady Noto a stuffed Giraffe at the throw a dart at balloon stall.  I'm kind of a big deal.

Anyone else want to share their thoughts on Demo Derby experiences?

P.S.
Sorry for no pictures - I was in the US, and therefore had my US phone (sans fancy camera).  I admit that I was ill-prepared for what I was about to witness.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Demolition Derby/Monster Trucks
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »
I went to a monster truck show at the ACC many moons ago, a buddy won free passes. Not my cup of tea at all, but I have to say, after a few beer I actually got into it and then, the spirit of Bo/Luke Duke and Larry the Cable Guy took over and I was hooting and hollering with the rest of the crowd. I did not at any point remove my shirt and wave it above my head, so I was not fully integrated  ;D Not something I would do on a regular basis, but it was fun.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Demolition Derby/Monster Trucks
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »
The sound is interesting more than the show IMO. 

Watching "extreme" motorcycle stunts is pretty incredible to see live.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:36:37 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...