Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis; Day 1  (Read 21238 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 08:44:54 am »
Wing.  Post a pic of the rear end - outside trunk.
There is one in the gallery

<sigh>

Hats off to you GREG!

Wing; do ask the Hyundai ppl why they incorporate the "Wing" on the front grill and the "H" thingy on the trunk lid.  Can't say I have seen this on anything else.   Why not just use the "Wing" both places.  ???

Good question. I see this type of thing quite a bit, not in the car biz but elsewhere. It's usually a result of brand disagreement between product people and HQ. Something like the product guys want to be special and unique while the mothership wants to exert its DNA. The best course of action is not always clear and the results can be a little...schizo. I can't speak for the above example but the symptoms are there.

You've got it backwards. In Korea, Genesis is sold with the wing badge all around the car. This was also the case with the first generation.

In North America, the decision was made to put a Hyundai logo on the trunk lid. This is done as a matter of brand pride. Genesis isn't just about sales numbers; it's also about brand-building. Having the brand's logo affixed to the trunk lid of a well-engineered, beautifully-styled luxury car is another tool for changing outdated perceptions.
The wing looks great, almost like Chrysler, but the "H" is just plain, cheap and ugly , it cheapness the look of the car

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis; Day 1
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 08:52:37 am »
Something like the product guys want to be special and unique while the mothership wants to exert its DNA.

I am certain this is the case.  It kind of defines Hyundai at this point and time.  They've done the mass movers quite well over the past decade and are currently starring across the Rubicon obviously waiting for the boys back in Korea to get with the program.

Obviously their American ppl know "Genesis" isn't going to fly with that ugly H on the *ss end.

Looks like an Elantra from the rear. A $60,000 Elantra.  :rofl2:
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Northernridge

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 11:32:28 am »

<sigh>

Hats off to you GREG!

Wing; do ask the Hyundai ppl why they incorporate the "Wing" on the front grill and the "H" thingy on the trunk lid.  Can't say I have seen this on anything else.   Why not just use the "Wing" both places.  ???

Good question. I see this type of thing quite a bit, not in the car biz but elsewhere. It's usually a result of brand disagreement between product people and HQ. Something like the product guys want to be special and unique while the mothership wants to exert its DNA. The best course of action is not always clear and the results can be a little...schizo. I can't speak for the above example but the symptoms are there.

You've got it backwards. In Korea, Genesis is sold with the wing badge all around the car. This was also the case with the first generation.

In North America, the decision was made to put a Hyundai logo on the trunk lid. This is done as a matter of brand pride. Genesis isn't just about sales numbers; it's also about brand-building. Having the brand's logo affixed to the trunk lid of a well-engineered, beautifully-styled luxury car is another tool for changing outdated perceptions.

These are fun questions. The Genesis competitors that come to mind (Germans) have the same logo on both ends and it's the manufacture logo in every case. As far as I know, Acura, Infinity and Lexus don't wear Honda, Nissan nor Toyota badges (at least on the outside). I wondered if the new Corvette wears a Chevy logo...other than a little one imbedded in the Corvette logo on either end, it doesn't. Certain sub-models or features are often branded/logoed e.g. Stingray, AMG, STi, etc.

Co-branding is tricky business and the best approach is not always black and white and, as you indicate, perceptions can be changed over time so we should be careful to not draw permanent conclusions by what's we see today. One thing I can say for certain is that branders don't to get to decide what's successful, the market gets to do that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:34:30 am by Northernridge »

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 12:47:38 pm »
The wing looks great, almost like Chrysler, but the "H" is just plain, cheap and ugly , it cheapness the look of the car

Agreed. I really don't like the flying H. Same with the KIA logo. I don't know why buy both bug me to the extent that I would remove them if I was driving either brand.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 12:58:21 pm »

Agreed. I really don't like the flying H. Same with the KIA logo. I don't know why buy both bug me to the extent that I would remove them if I was driving either brand.

You know what would be an interesting experiment?  Take the Genesis and rebadge it as something else - Honda, Lexus, Acura, Toyota, whatever and then see what peoples perceptions are. 

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 3 Series
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 01:59:22 pm »
One of my neighbors drives one at times (he must be working for a car dealer) and seeing the Genesis in a familiar surrounding this car is really massive. Forget all comparisons with Audi A4 size category.

This. The Genesis is actually slightly larger than the A6, 5-series, and E-Class in most dimensions.

Correct.

Hyundai is working on a compact RWD sports sedan for those who want something smaller and sportier.

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 02:00:22 pm »

<sigh>

Hats off to you GREG!

Saw a lot of this on cars in Japan. A lot of cases I could not tell the make until I went to the back. I took a bunch of pictures and thought of making a game of name that manufacturer based on the front logo. Maybe a common practice in Asian countries?

In Korea and Japan, luxury models get their own special badging (just like how the Corvette and Mustang do here).

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 02:01:20 pm »
Something like the product guys want to be special and unique while the mothership wants to exert its DNA.

I am certain this is the case.  It kind of defines Hyundai at this point and time.  They've done the mass movers quite well over the past decade and are currently starring across the Rubicon obviously waiting for the boys back in Korea to get with the program.

Obviously their American ppl know "Genesis" isn't going to fly with that ugly H on the *ss end.

Looks like an Elantra from the rear. A $60,000 Elantra.  :rofl2:

The Lexus GS looks like the old Sonata from the rear.

But yes, Hyundai needs to change their fugly logo.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:29 pm »
Not sure who does Hyundai's market research but ask any guy with $80k to spend on a car if he will buy a Benz, Audi, or BMW vs. a car for $15k cheaper that has a "H" badge affixed to it? They may incise a guy looking at a VW, Acura, Lexus, or premium level Toyota/Honda...... This is not rocket surgery.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 02:38:43 pm »
Not sure who does Hyundai's market research but ask any guy with $80k to spend on a car if he will buy a Benz, Audi, or BMW vs. a car for $15k cheaper that has a "H" badge affixed to it? They may incise a guy looking at a VW, Acura, Lexus, or premium level Toyota/Honda...... This is not rocket surgery.

Probably like the guy who got pissed off with his E class and did not want a repeat of it. He picked up a Genesis 4.6 a few years ago, which has been trouble free.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline TerryB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Porsche Boxster, Hyundai Genesis Sedan, Mazda MX5, Mazda3, Mercury Villager, Nissan Altima, Acura Integra (x4)
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2014, 03:20:50 pm »

<sigh>

Hats off to you GREG!

Most Genesis sedan owners replace the "H" with the "Wings" anyways.  I replaced it on my 2012 sedan right away.  I'm sure there is a fight with the marketing guys at Hyundai about that logo.  The new wing style is available on eBay already,  cheap.   http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-OEM-Rear-Tailgate-Trunk-Wing-Emblem-for-Hyundai-Genesis-Sedan-2015-/131195564602?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8bdd723a&vxp=mtr

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »

Probably like the guy who got pissed off with his E class and did not want a repeat of it. He picked up a Genesis 4.6 a few years ago, which has been trouble free.

I'm sure there are other examples but the majority of buyers will keep them under warranty then get another.  The Genesis is a car in transition with all the right ingredients to step up to the premium/luxury market but Hyundai wont let it free.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »
They have to  loose the cheap Genesis coupe also

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 03:46:24 pm »

Disagree, The coupe is a good car just needs to be re-branded. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Hyundai Genesis; Day 1
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:55 pm »

Disagree, The coupe is a good car just needs to be re-branded.
Nothing against coupe, but was selling for less then 20 gs a couple of years ago

I still think cheap kids car when I see the coupe
like you said should rebrand it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northernridge

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 03:57:24 pm »

<sigh>

Hats off to you GREG!

Most Genesis sedan owners replace the "H" with the "Wings" anyways.  I replaced it on my 2012 sedan right away.  I'm sure there is a fight with the marketing guys at Hyundai about that logo.  The new wing style is available on eBay already,  cheap.   http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-OEM-Rear-Tailgate-Trunk-Wing-Emblem-for-Hyundai-Genesis-Sedan-2015-/131195564602?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8bdd723a&vxp=mtr

I forgot that was available...it looks good.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 07:47:35 pm »

Hey the following link is a video demonstration of the Genesis Advanced Cruise control and Lane Keep Assist technology. It is entertaining and shows how much technology has come along these past few years. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTIXldrq3Q&list=UU5f97D60yHa7UE9rFfbej8g

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 08:11:37 pm »
Yeah it's cool but that wouldn't work because after ten seconds it turns off if you don't steer

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 08:35:24 pm »
I know but Autonomous Driving is not so far away  (not that I want this at all as I love to drive way too much); the smart cruise control is a  very interesting technology.

It is still a cool marketing pub and it drives the message that Hyundai has technology up there with the German brands.

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »

Well, Hyundai is going more after the Japanese lux buyer than the Germans with the Genesis, but there are former and current German owners who now own a Genesis.

July sales -

Genesis - 180
GS - 41
Q70 - 6
RLX - 9

They are doing something right if they are outselling the Japanese (combined) by more than 3x.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:54:13 pm by bd2 »