Author Topic: Tesla Test Drive  (Read 4831 times)

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Tesla Test Drive
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:49:02 pm »
A friend of mine is fairly determined to buy a Tesla and wanted to have me along for the test drive.   Although this meant a whole day with travel time, I didn't have to be asked twice.

We only had about 25 minutes in the car but that was more than enough.  It was a Tesla model S and there were three of us on board including the very helpful and professional salesman, Mike. 

The Tesla is like nothing else.  Better mileage than a microcar, seating of a large sedan (which it is), cargo capacity of an SUV and performance only a handful of cars on this planet can match.

It wasn't as quiet as I thought it might be (expectations were extremely high) but it was more than quiet enough.  By this I mean it is quieter and smoother than probably any other luxury car with similar handling capability.  The interior is very well finished and tends toward Scandinavian lean rather than Italian opulent. 

The Tesla has a lot of unique characteristics and build features.  We spent 2 1/2 hours in the car and the showroom/meeting room and repeated very little conversation. 

Three things stick out for me. One is the simplicity of the design.  Go to a dealership and look at the chassis and powertrain.   Can it get much simpler than that?  If it weren't for the dual motors, which might be 3/4 of a cubic foot each, you'd swear that all mechanicals had been stripped out of it.

The second is the weight of 4800 pounds.  This is not-so-mini van territory.   And that is with an all aluminum chassis.

The third is the acceleration once rolling.  It is violent.  When my friend hit the voltage, my cheeks moved back on my face.  I'm not THAT fat.   It would be a good idea to warn your passengers before you really goose this car.  It corners very flat due to the battery being below the wheel axle height.

How fast is it in the midrange?  Very fast cars accelerate from 30 to 50 mph in 3 seconds.  The Tesla S does it in 1.8.  Violent is the only word which applies and I doubt you will read that word in any other car review.  Simply no delay.  Electrons got jump.  More so than air intakes, transmissions and valve timing regimens.

I was encouraged by the staff to drive the car but I wasn't buying it, my friend was, so I wasn't going to waste everyone's time.

Downsides.  It is a big car.  The options grouping is a little flaky.  Otherwise, superb from every point of view.  My friend will almost certainly be driving one of these by spring and he intends to keep it for 15 years.

A stunning entry into the automotive world by a novice.  Congratulations Mr. Musk.  I await your downsized, econo, super-mileage offering.

Cheers,
John M.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:54:24 pm by JohnM »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Tesla Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:56:43 pm »
...and the voltage hit him back  ;D
Thanks for your impressions! When they make the Model III and I have a place to charge it, so long gas stations.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »
Thanks for the report JohnM.  Interesting car for sure.  :thumbup:

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:43:53 pm »
Good report, I drove one and agree with your comments. The one I drove was very quiet. One I was passenger in, not so much, but it had winter tires. Different tires makes a huge difference with this car as there is not much other noise sources.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:58:38 pm »
Remember my January post ? Probably not  ;D Just in case, I put the http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,86459.msg957854.html#msg957854 which has a link to the last August event, from the club Tesla Québec, Tesla Drag / Show up at iCar, Mirabel, QC. it simply was stunning how silent, fast & furious a Tesla (S or Roadster) could be!

I second, good report JohnM, well done.

Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 10:05:36 pm »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:09:04 pm »
Me 2, why the same rims on every Tesla S. Are they designed for cooling by any chance?

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 10:14:45 pm »
Me 2, why the same rims on every Tesla S. Are they designed for cooling by any chance?

Maybe it cost a leg & an arm to design lightweight, low drag rims capable to support such load of torque & weight capacity ?
I don't know what I'm talking about here !  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:17:24 pm by me_2 »

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 07:04:07 am »
I believe all the S models come with 21" rims and I think the profile is 35.  If you want snows, you have to go to 19" rims which I am sure look different.

Personally, I don't see the need for the S.  The standard model can be had with the big battery (80kWhrs) and might be 1/2 second slower to 100km.  These come with 45 series tires I believe.  I'd leave the bragging rights to the buffoons and save $15k and get a smoother ride.   At this level, the performance and noise difference is irrelevant.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 12:50:55 am »
Great review John!  My wife is encouraging me to test drive a Model S, but I like my current Smart ED too much to taste from the forbidden fruit...meaning, I can't do it, or my alter ego Mr F**k it will come out and re-mortgage my home.  Will enjoy the GLK for a few more years and see what's available then, although I am considering the Model X as a long term family vehicle...

If it weren't for the dual motors, which might be 3/4 of a cubic foot each, you'd swear that all mechanicals had been stripped out of it.

One correction, the Model S has a single motor.  The inverter and power electronics are housed in a similar sized/shaped cylinder directly next to it as per:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:53:24 am by Smart Electric »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 11:09:49 pm »
Test drove one today and blogged about it.

Verdict : Did not cause "Mr F#^k it" to come out and put down a deposit, but I will be coming back to try out the dual motor all wheel drive version in a few months.

Blog :
http://mysmartelectricdrive.blogspot.ca/2014/11/test-driving-tesla-model-s-in-snow-storm.html

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:17 pm »
I doubt there is anyone who would not be impressed with the Tesla.   My main problem with it is that I would not want to drive it a lot around a major urban area.  It is a big car and fairly low and the visibility is not wonderful.

Having said that the proximity warning system is brilliant but I prefer visibility and nimbleness to computer assist.

Cheers,
John M.