Author Topic: Morons seen while cycling  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Morons seen while cycling
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:07:24 pm »
I'm sure Quad will have more to add to this thread in the future  :) This morning my wife and I go out on a 30km ravine ride and as usual we are respectful of the other cyclists, joggers, walkers, people with pets despite many of them not following trail protocol  ::) Anyways...I am ahead of my wife by 50m on this one tight twisty section and I come across two women on a corner walking and startle them. I have plenty of time to stop and I am well to the right on my side of the trail. Well they lose it and start yelling at me indication maybe I should slow down and pay attention  ??? Before I could open my mouth in defense my wife catches up and says " Maybe you should walk single file around a corner so you don't block the entire trail with your fat a$$es"  :rofl2: The two cows were shocked and had nothing else to say  :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12338
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Morons seen while cycling
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:44:59 pm »
Your wife rocks.  :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 01:59:53 pm »
Riding back from Oakville today and our group of 6 gets slip into 2 and 4 with a car in the middle through a one lane construction zone. The road returns to two lanes and the car just sits behind our two other guys, won't move over, won't pass, just sits there. Then they give a 'friendly' honk and still sit there. FINALLY they figure out how to move over to the other lane, push on the gas and go ahead.  ::)

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:30 am »
I'm sure Quad will have more to add to this thread in the future  :) This morning my wife and I go out on a 30km ravine ride and as usual we are respectful of the other cyclists, joggers, walkers, people with pets despite many of them not following trail protocol  ::) Anyways...I am ahead of my wife by 50m on this one tight twisty section and I come across two women on a corner walking and startle them. I have plenty of time to stop and I am well to the right on my side of the trail. Well they lose it and start yelling at me indication maybe I should slow down and pay attention  ??? Before I could open my mouth in defense my wife catches up and says " Maybe you should walk single file around a corner so you don't block the entire trail with your fat a$$es"  :rofl2: The two cows were shocked and had nothing else to say  :)

:rofl2: :rofl2:

that's awesome.

there are some pretty nasty user issues here in ShortHills Provincial Park.
with bikers, hikers and horseback riders....  I've seen of pretty nasty name calling.

I avoid the area on weekends and in general.   But do ride in the park now and again to add some miles in bigger rides.  I'm always careful and very friendly.   Most people are good, but I run into plenty of hikers that play the "I can't hear you" game and ignore me when I come up on them.    ::)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:42:28 pm »
Whats with joggers/runners in the bike lanes these days FFS.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 02:13:22 pm »
 :rofl2:

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:24:07 pm »
:rofl2:

:rofl2: (shouldn't laugh... but...  :rofl2:)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +99/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:07 pm »
Calgary's pathway system is great for having separate bike/pedestrian lanes. However, I get so darn mad when I use it. A few situations I encounter on a regular basis.

#1- Rollerblading on the bike path. They have such a huge stride, taking up the width of the path. They are almost always wearing headphones, so my bell is useless to warn them. good thing most don't get mad when I pass them, guess they know they are in the wrong. Frustrating none the less.

#2- Dog walkers. They must be above or unwelcome on the walking/jogging lanes. Always have a 6ft lead on the leash so getting around fido is a pain. Usually both the owner and the Dog will bark at me going by.

#3- Other cyclists. I wonder if some drive like they ride. Biggest peeve is passing. Our paths have a yellow solid line, much like a road, I've had many a rider passing in MY lane when it's not safe to do so. If you need to overtake a slower Cyclist, wait till there's no oncoming bike traffic. I hate having to ride in the grass to let these asshats by.

Another is Family riders. I take my little one's out riding too, it's perfectly acceptable, but teach the Kids some basic pathway rules. I'm talking about the kids that zig-zag out of control all the time, it's very hard for other riders to predict where you're Kid is going to go, or if He/She is going to hit you or crash. Ringing the bell just sends them into full panic mode which usually results in a crash or them stopping in the middle of the path. I've managed to teach my 5, 7, and 10 yr old how to safely and responsibly ride on paths so I know its not impossible to take Kids safely riding.

Sunday riders are a pain too. We have 100's of KM of pathways, I tend to pick the less traveled paths just to help ovoid all the other issues. Yet every ride I seem to get at least one ornery rider going along at 10 km/h who yells "slow down" as I go by. Keep in mind I'm usually on my fat tired mountain bike, my average speed on a good day is 25 km/h  so I'm not blazing along at Tour d' France speeds. I also keep my Bear bell on all the time now, so everybody can hear me approaching. These People often ride side by side too, making passing difficult.

#4- This one is rare, but it happened to a friend and I. There was this nice single track trail we loved to ride, it was close to home and fairly challenging in some spots. It also has a honey pot of downhill sections, we encountered some grump one day who told us bikes were not welcome on "HIS" trail (was in a Gov't park) We politely told him there were in fact no rules stating bikes were not allowed to be in the park and carried on. He cursed at us and said He'd make it ugly if we rode there again. A few weeks later coming down one of the downhill sections was a picnic table placed just where it cold not be seen....until it was too late. We both hit it (and each other) It had "BIKES NOT WELCOME" painted on the top. I can't prove it, but sure it was that old jerk who put it there!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:59:24 am »
Anyone know the rules on off-leash dogs in the York Regional Forests? I'm not particularly against people letting dogs off-leash in these heavily forested areas - really, I get it. That said, once every trip to Glen Major I'll fly around a corner and find 2-3 dogs running at me. I love dogs and it doesn't bother me to see them, but I worry that one of these days I'm going to clock one coming down a narrow single track trail. These are marked mountain biking trails. I've got to imagine there's better, more suitable places to run your dogs...  ::)
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:08:36 am »
Anyone know the rules on off-leash dogs in the York Regional Forests? I'm not particularly against people letting dogs off-leash in these heavily forested areas - really, I get it. That said, once every trip to Glen Major I'll fly around a corner and find 2-3 dogs running at me. I love dogs and it doesn't bother me to see them, but I worry that one of these days I'm going to clock one coming down a narrow single track trail. These are marked mountain biking trails. I've got to imagine there's better, more suitable places to run your dogs...  ::)

I had to kick one dog this spring that ended chasing me and tiring to bite my foot as I rode by. The owner was not pleased with me but after a verbal exchange he got the point. I have met them again on the trail and the mut was on a leash. Most of the offenders I now see are women walking their toy dogs standing in the middle of the trail yapping on a cell phone. FFS.....some are as wide as the trail.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:29:59 am »
As far as I know dog  must always be on a leash unless they are in a specific off leash area which would be marked as such.

For some reason dog owners think they are void of any rules and can just let their dogs run where ever they want. We have a huge off leash area on the beach yet most like to walk their dog their sans leash across the bike path and boardwalk.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 08:59:28 am »
ya, our local Provincial Park (day use only) has a strict rule... dogs on lease.
I'd have to say 99% of dog owners do not follow the rules.

I've never had a dog attact me, but I almost always have to spot, let the owners grab the dog and hold them for a while before I can continue my ride.   The dogs always want to run and follow.  (more fun than a slow walk I guess).

Calgary's pathway system is great for having separate bike/pedestrian lanes. However, I get so darn mad when I use it. A few situations I encounter on a regular basis.

of the few pathways we do have, they're multiuse and everyone is one them.
all the same issues here.  this pushes most cyclists on the road and off the path.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:10 am »
NB: I was driving...

Left the house this morning, driving down marshwood. I see a cyclist ... ummm I think he's on the 417.

Get on onramp, yup, there goes mr dumbass on the 417, at least he has a yellow rain jacket on. Who do I see parked on the side of the road, where the cyclist came from? OPP.

So obviously OPP must have talked to the guy, but he didn't get off the highway.... how is this remotely allowed....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 11:14:55 am »

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »
NB: I was driving...

Left the house this morning, driving down marshwood. I see a cyclist ... ummm I think he's on the 417.

Get on onramp, yup, there goes mr dumbass on the 417, at least he has a yellow rain jacket on. Who do I see parked on the side of the road, where the cyclist came from? OPP.

So obviously OPP must have talked to the guy, but he didn't get off the highway.... how is this remotely allowed....

I remember when they used to have signs at the beginning of some highways that showed no bikes allowed.
I don't think I see those anymore.   strange...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »
Every time I cycle though parts of Milton I almost get into a fight with a driver, is there something in the water north of Dundas? fack.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 08:23:52 am »
Every time I cycle though parts of Milton I almost get into a fight with a driver, is there something in the water north of Dundas? fack.

You could hang Truck Nutz off the back to try and blend in.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 09:49:58 am »
Friday afternoon:

I was riding down a reasonably steep hill, keeping speed to about ~45-50 km/h (in a 50 zone). Of course, I was riding to the right, so if someone really needed to pass they could have (though they'd be breaking the law in doing so). At the bottom of the hill there's this weird junction. I was heading straight, so I kept to the left of the right turn lane. At the Red Star, some moron honks at me for no good reason. I was startled and made a "what?" type gesture. The shithead took this as the middle finger, stops his truck (at the blue X), essentially forcing me to stop since I was at the black star at this point. He gets out and starts yelling at me for flipping him off  ::)... Fortunately I didn't have to put up with this much further as an NB Power employee saw this in the oncoming lane and stopped and told buddy to move along.

The most annoying thing is that I wasn't able to get his plates and such for a police report.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »
Took the MTB out for a ride today but had to stick to bike lanes and multi purpose routes. Almost got clipped three times by people pulling out of parking lots and at intersections. Actially had to put my hand on the hood of a car.  ::) good thing I slow down as nobody else is paying attention. fack.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Morons seen while cycling
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 04:15:47 pm »
These two retreads racing each other down Neyagawa flying by me by a foot at probably 150 kph. Lucky for me the light at Dundas turned red and I took a few pics and had a conversation. Nobody wanted to get out of their vehicles and have a chat face to face. Called the cops with the info and the place of business of the website info on the Camry and had a nice chat with the owner about one of his employees.
Pics of the facking chicken shat retards:

I will be checking out where the owner of the Range Rover lives as I seen him pull into an area so we can continue our conversation.

All the cops are doing is sending letters to the registered owners.