Author Topic: Quick comparison: 2014 BMW i3 vs Chevrolet Volt  (Read 23757 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick comparison: 2014 BMW i3 vs Chevrolet Volt
« on: August 14, 2014, 06:30:39 am »

BMW's futuristic i3 takes on Chevrolet Volt, Canada's undisputed plug-in sales champ.

Read More...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Quick comparison: 2014 BMW i3 vs Chevrolet Volt
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there the Prius Plug in that would compete with the Volt fairly well?  That's the one I think I would have.  But if I wanted performance and space I might go for the Honda Accourd Hybrid plug in thingy.  That seemed like a pretty decent electric car.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Quick comparison: 2014 BMW i3 vs Chevrolet Volt
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:43:01 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there the Prius Plug in that would compete with the Volt fairly well?  That's the one I think I would have.  But if I wanted performance and space I might go for the Honda Accourd Hybrid plug in thingy.  That seemed like a pretty decent electric car.
The Prius plug-in doesn't have close to the electric range as the Volt or i3.

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:38 am »
Volt is 4 years old car but i3 just came out, even though I still like Volt more.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:04:39 am »
Ah I love the i3...! I am betting it will be a big seller because it's priced right.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:11:09 am »
The Prius plug-in doesn't have close to the electric range as the Volt or i3.
Actually, the bigger issue is that the Prius's gasoline engine continues to power the driven wheels, whereas in the i3 and the Volt, it's electric-only propulsion, even when the range extender is active.

...that's why these two are the only real 'true' competitors, though to the casual consumer, yes, a plug-in hybrid is a plug-in hybrid and the C-Max and Prius come into play.

As for the two, ya'll are about to have your minds BLOWN:
I prefer the Volt.

WHAAAAAAAAAA?!

The i3 has some REALLY great ideas.  Like, REALLY great.  For one, I LOVE that it's lighter (and uses the CFRP).  I LOVE its zero-emissions production plant (a fallacy in some ways as the battery manufacturer makes no such claims, but still - impressive nonetheless).  I LOVE its better placement of the batteries (the Volt's massive T-stack eats interior volume and doesn't lower the centre of gravity enough).  I LOVE that it does the range-extending duties with 1/2 the generator that the Volt uses.

...but only installing a 7L gas tank?  I mean, come the f*ck on.  So 130km range without the REx, 240 with?  7L tank?  So that 2 cylinder engine uses barely <7L/100km?  The Volt's real world usage (and others here will back me up on it) is closer to 6L/100km with the 1.4L 4-banger and carries a much more realistic 35L tank for another ~600ish km of range once the 50km-ish e-range is depleted.

As far as the regenerative braking is concerned, our RX400h has a "B" mode on the shift gate to change how 'aggressive' the regen braking is.  I used it yesterday for maybe the second time, ever, and I can say that it's utterly a waste.  It forces you to use more gas while driving (or sucks more energy from the e-only range), and then makes it very difficult to modulate.  The ability to coast in Canada/US is far more important than in Europe, where streets are narrower and less open.  This is where the US-designed Volt is more relevant to our market.

I don't like that the Volt is cramped for interior space and the Bimmer clearly is more effective with packaging, but the Volt is the better car here.  It's far less of a compromise - why would someone spend $4k on the range-extender for another 100km?  You'd have to stop at pretty much every gas station along the 401 and even then you're getting worse fuel economy than pretty much every compact sedan/hatch.  So, this is a city car.  I like the Volt because it at least gives you the realistic option of being a weekender when needed.

...and for the occasional weekender, trading in for a 1- or 3-series may sound nice, but even if it takes 30 mins to get into your 'rental', you have to get to the dealership first...so you're talking 1.5-2hrs of your commute added to the weekend just to pick up the rental.  I hate renting, and I've done more than my fair share of it.

Now, if we could design our i3/Volt lovechild:

From the i3:
-battery
-motor
-CFRP
-better greenhouse
-more comfortable interior

From the Volt:
-gas tank
-can't believe I'm saying it, but styling
-cargo dimensions
-regen brakes
-PROPER TIRES - who the f*ck is going to carry 155/70 R19 84Q tires?  "You have a choice of the OEM Bridgestones, or the OEM Bridgestones."

-pricing?

don't care:
-generator - both seem pretty much the same for average economy
-interior styling (I don't like either - the tacky plastic futuristic (from 1980s) look of the Volt vs the minimalistic but not-my-taste look in the i3).

With all that being said, I'm not necessarily sold on the i8, either.  It's beautiful, no doubt, and to get 3.8s 0-60mph and 24MPG combined from a 357hp 1.5T 3-banger is impressive...but it's again a huge compromise that I don't see as worth the effort.  In e-drive alone, the i8 will still take 9.5seconds 0-60.  Shyeet.

I like the Voltec powertrain better, but think the generator could be smaller and the car it's plopped into better, as well.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:13:21 am »
Are you sure 'B' mode increases regen? I believe it is only a low gear mode for hills and not actually a regen deal.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:19:15 am »
Volt is 4 years old car but i3 just came out, even though I still like Volt more.

Your a little biased being a Volt owner.  But I agree, based on design, comfort, cost.  A larger comparo will be cool when the next gen Volt comes out. 

I am wondering what GM's strategy will be in getting rid of the previous generation Volts when the next gen arrives.  Because they are already loosing money on them, and there is government incentives on them. 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:24:03 am »
throw in another for liking the Volt more than this BMW.

having a futuristic look doesn't mean it's better, nor those having a futuristic dashboard. 
IMOHO, I'm not a huge fan.   I originally did think I'd like the i3 more due to the assumed utility of the hatch type design, but the fact it's a four door that acts like a 2 door seems pretty dump to me.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 10:27:33 am »

...but only installing a 7L gas tank?  I mean, come the f*ck on.  So 130km range without the REx, 240 with?  7L tank?  So that 2 cylinder engine uses barely <7L/100km?  The Volt's real world usage (and others here will back me up on it) is closer to 6L/100km with the 1.4L 4-banger and carries a much more realistic 35L tank for another ~600ish km of range once the 50km-ish e-range is depleted.

What concerns me about that is this:  On a long road trip, once your batteries are depleted, when you stop to fill up your 7L gas tank, you'll only have 100kms range until you need to fill up again.  WTH?  There are many many places in Canada, even on the trans-Canada (thinking of the prairies here, BIG open spaces) where there is greater than 100kms between service stations.  You wouldn't be able to drive across Canada in the i3, which basically defeats the point of having a Range Extended EV. 

For that reason, and the fact that the Volt just seems like a much more polished vehicle to live with everyday, my money would go to the Volt.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my plan is to spend money on an EV-type vehicle in the next 5-10 years, so I'll be paying close attention to the different players in the market.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:29:53 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 10:53:29 am »
As far as the regenerative braking is concerned, our RX400h has a "B" mode on the shift gate to change how 'aggressive' the regen braking is.  I used it yesterday for maybe the second time, ever, and I can say that it's utterly a waste.  It forces you to use more gas while driving (or sucks more energy from the e-only range), and then makes it very difficult to modulate.  The ability to coast in Canada/US is far more important than in Europe, where streets are narrower and less open. 

::)

Check out the Prius thread about B mode

::)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 10:54:06 am »
Are you sure 'B' mode increases regen? I believe it is only a low gear mode for hills and not actually a regen deal.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/583681-rx400h-b-shift-position.html

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 10:55:28 am »
Check out the Prius thread about B mode
link?

Edit - Found it:
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,88821.msg1020636.html#msg1020636

Edit - read it:
HOLY CRAP that's a lot of info.  Good to know.  I still maintain that the feeling of increased drag is annoying as d!ck and I would rather have the car coast (like in "D" mode, or like the Volt) than slow you down a la i3.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:15:09 pm by NoTo »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 10:57:34 am »
The Volt is actually a decent looking car.....that BMW...man, talk about a face only a mother could love. The Volt I could actually see at some point end up in my garage.....as a 4th or 5th car. As Noto said, 155/70 19.....yeah, the tire guy would be very excited as he bent you over....or even worse, told you it would be a week to get certain tire from the states up to Buffalo Narrows where you had a flat tire.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:02 am »
  You wouldn't be able to drive across Canada in the i3, which basically defeats the point of having a Range Extended EV. 

totally agreed nobody is going to take this across Canada but I really doubt this was ever in the mind of the engineers.   This is a car for urban folks who have short to medium daily trips and may go around 100km to the cottage on weekends...  or something like that.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:33 am »
The Volt is actually a decent looking car.....that BMW...man, talk about a face only a mother could love. The Volt I could actually see at some point end up in my garage.....as a 4th or 5th car. As Noto said, 155/70 19.....yeah, the tire guy would be very excited as he bent you over....or even worse, told you it would be a week to get certain tire from the states up to Buffalo Narrows where you had a flat tire.

That's moot point as you would never make to Buffalo Narrows in the first place with your tiny 100kms of range.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:01:22 am »

That's moot point as you would never make to Buffalo Narrows in the first place with your tiny 100kms of range.

Well theres that....but what if you lived up there, had a head injury and thought that, hey, maybe I should buy a fancy, unproven, golf cart with no parts support??  ;D What then

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:09:59 am »

har!

The Volt does seem to be the North American hybrid, able to get a fellow from Winnipeg to Regina and then Regina to Calgary. Might need to stop once for fuel on the 'peg to Regina run, but then most cars do, picking up fuel in Brandon.

Thats the thing, I could never own a vehicle that has to be plugged in for a few hours to go maybe 100km.....thats just useless in the prairies......

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:14:10 am »

Same argument applies to high/extreme performance runflats.     Is Buffalo Narrows a real place...you know, real with a gas station, Ford dealer, Loblaws, liquor store?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:17:11 am »

Same argument applies to high/extreme performance runflats.     Is Buffalo Narrows a real place...you know, real with a gas station, Ford dealer, Loblaws, liquor store?

It is:

Its got about 1500-2000 people and from what Ive heard its some of the most beautiful country up there.