Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2015 Audi A3  (Read 11130 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Update 1: 2015 Audi A3
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:30:21 am »

The A3 Sedan has quickly been put to good use with the Yarkony family and Autos.ca staff, and even a quick road trip, so let's talk about the stylish and high-tech interior.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Test Update 1: 2015 Audi A3
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:33 am »
Alllways my cup of coffee after first generation came here with mandatory 2.0 L. Being a sedan makes it even more...Just why this dashboard undistinguished flat buttons in a line?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:37:05 am »
that side profile shot makes it look like a Chrysler 200. Almost didn't read the article by dismissing it as such.

Why are most modern cars looking so similar to eachother? They all look the same...

Bah so boring...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:42:58 am »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:50:57 am »
At this price (50k  :o :o :o), this car is utterly unappealing and forgettable to me. The little goodies and a crisper 5" screen is definitely not worth the tacked on price.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:33:06 am »
Also I am wondering how annoying the radio controls actually are. I thought it was terrible that you had to use MMI to change stations, etc. I was very annoyed by it - but my test drive was short, 20min.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:39:32 am »
Oh, and the rising 5.5-inch screen is a nice touch of theatre on startup
Concerns me about if/when the mechanism breaks.

Media includes Bluetooth streaming audio, a phone or MP3 player (does anyone still use those?)
iPods are MP3 players, as are cellphones that play .mp3 files.  So, yes, everyone still uses 'those'.  I, too, hate proprietary adapters.  The push for microUSB is great.

I agree that the A3 is very compelling, but I start to question when you load 'er up.  The Komfort 2.0T Quattro is the sweet spot for me, giving you near-WRX numbers (note: Numbers do not equal performance and I don't suggest as much) with a LOT more luxury.  Difficult choice. 

Offline dtep

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:38:01 pm »
This car is way too expensive when loaded up. One can get a similarly equipped A4 for a couple grand more. Mine (Technik w/ S-Line) was under 50k with destination. The A4 is on its last year but it's still competitive against other vehicle in its class. The A4 also rides on the Audi MLB platform that shares with the bigger Audi, not the VW MQB platform that the A3 uses. This means true Torsen Quattro for the A4 while the A3 uses VW's 4motion system (aka Haldex)

I would either get the Komfort A3 (actually maybe the Highline Golf ;)) if I am low on $, otherwise I'll get the A4/3 series. Not to mention you can always get 3-4k off easily on a new A4.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »

Media includes Bluetooth streaming audio, a phone or MP3 player (does anyone still use those?)
iPods are MP3 players, as are cellphones that play .mp3 files.  So, yes, everyone still uses 'those'.  I, too, hate proprietary adapters.  The push for microUSB is great.

I agree that the A3 is very compelling, but I start to question when you load 'er up.  The Komfort 2.0T Quattro is the sweet spot for me, giving you near-WRX numbers (note: Numbers do not equal performance and I don't suggest as much) with a LOT more luxury.  Difficult choice.

a smartphone includes the ability to play MP3s - that doesn't make it an MP3 player. That's like saying a computer is a calculator... an iPod also goes beyond being simply an 'MP3 player' these days, with Wifi allowing gaming, apps and communication capabilities.

I'm referring to those dinky little sticks that just play music, like an iPod shuffle level of capability... do you have one of those that you carry with you everywhere that you're all defensive about MP3 player classifications?  :)
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Long-Term Test Update 1: 2015 Audi A3
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 03:40:29 pm »
that side profile shot makes it look like a Chrysler 200. Almost didn't read the article by dismissing it as such.

Why are most modern cars looking so similar to eachother? They all look the same...

Bah so boring...
The aerodynamic answers to packaging 4-5 people and an engine for good economy tends toward a particular shape.    You'll note that all the misuse CUV/SUVs (Q5,RDX,CRV,RXxxx,the new Cherokee,Hyundais) are all the same shape as well. A different shape for sure but all with quite good aero for their taller bodies and great ground clearance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 03:50:16 pm »

Bah so boring...
The aerodynamic answers to packaging 4-5 people and an engine for good economy tends toward a particular shape.    You'll note that all the misuse CUV/SUVs (Q5,RDX,CRV,RXxxx,the new Cherokee,Hyundais) are all the same shape as well. A different shape for sure but all with quite good aero for their taller bodies and great ground clearance

my 17 year old Alfa has like 0.29 aero, and looks like not much else on the road. So no excuse for all vehicles to be stylistically blobs with different grilles...

and yes all midsize CUVs look the exact same. Different grille, but beyond that they are all identical.

What happened to car design? Oh well.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »
^^^ But your Alfa did not need to meet todays crash and pedestrian protection standards.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 04:04:51 pm »

Bah so boring...

my 17 year old Alfa has like 0.29 aero, and looks like not much else on the road. So no excuse for all vehicles to be stylistically blobs with different grilles...

and yes all midsize CUVs look the exact same. Different grille, but beyond that they are all identical.

What happened to car design? Oh well.

Safety regulations is why.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »
^^^ But your Alfa did not need to meet todays crash and pedestrian protection standards.

ah ic

safety is so boring  ;)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »

ah ic

safety is so boring  ;)

haha, i cannot even imagine how your Alfa would do in a crash (but don't get in one!)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 04:49:58 pm »

ah ic

safety is so boring  ;)

heh yeah, was a decent result for the Tipo platform in the early 90s...but crash safety has moved on since then on to say the least. I do not plan on crashing in it anytime soon, forget my safety, I cant scratch that beautiful paint!

...but back to boring designs. Safety concerns and aerodynamics/efficiency is turning all cars into the same shapeless blobs. Hardly gets the blood pumping seeing yet another bean shaped sedan...

haha, i cannot even imagine how your Alfa would do in a crash (but don't get in one!)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 07:56:33 pm »

I never had any issues with the motorized screen in my CTS and I would  not be too worry about it unless you plan to keep the car for a very long period of time. It beats the tacky tack-on Mercedes approach...

5.5 inch seems to be very tiny nowadays... especially for $50k.

Question for the author: does the radio allows you to use the hard drive as a recorder device so you can rewind audio and listen to it again?

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 08:28:51 pm »

I never had any issues with the motorized screen in my CTS and I would  not be too worry about it unless you plan to keep the car for a very long period of time. It beats the tacky tack-on Mercedes approach...

5.5 inch seems to be very tiny nowadays... especially for $50k.

Question for the author: does the radio allows you to use the hard drive as a recorder device so you can rewind audio and listen to it again?

i'll check that out, but i thought that was dependent on the Sirius subscription - to record and then replay or rewind on demand. i've seen that in a couple sirius equipped cars, but i've never heard of a hard drive that can record radio play, or perhaps it's just beyond my technical skills.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:49 pm »
The 2014 version of Audi's MMI  does not allow direct recording to the hard drive ( Jukebox)  from any source except SD cards and USB.  It might allow recording from an Ipod I guess. haven't tried it.    It doesn't allow you to rip CDs either but VAG-COM can fix that.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 09:06:26 am »
Thanks TPL!

Thanks for answering too Jonathan. My CTS by default records the radio. When you want to listen again either to something you missed or a song you want to hear a second time I just have to rewind. It is a feature I used very often actually and have come to much appreciate. It acts just like a PVR and OI wonder why it is not a common feature on hard drive navigation systems.  I can also rip CDs on the hard drive.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:09:19 am by Benhaze »