Author Topic: Next Matrix likely to be a Scion  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Next Matrix likely to be a Scion
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:16 am »
Scion's crappy lineup will be getting some Toyota models.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/scion-planning-model-offensive.html

The Auris (Corolla hatchback) will come here.  A Toyota and Scion subcompact will also be built alongside the Mazda2.  Doesn't sound very impressive. 

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
Re: Next Matrix likely to be a Scion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:21:34 am »
The Matrix AWD needs to make a comeback.  I always thought that was one of the best compact cars available.  It had the then-legendary Toyota quality, a great amount of cargo room and of course the safety of AWD.  For life here in Canada, it was a perfect fit. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:50:24 am »
Sources indicate the station wagon variant of the Auris will not be offered on this side of the pond.

:thumbdown:

It was the only car that would make me consider a Toyota.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:07:57 am »
I seriously wish the Canadian auto retailer industry was less tied to the United States. A lot of great wagons are gone. Ford Focus, Mazda 6, Volvo V50, Toyota Corolla. Heck I'd even consider a Chevrolet Optra (wagon not hatchback) with that weird power front window and manual roll up rear window combo.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:29 am »
I seriously wish the Canadian auto retailer industry was less tied to the United States. A lot of great wagons are gone. Ford Focus, Mazda 6, Volvo V50, Toyota Corolla. Heck I'd even consider a Chevrolet Optra (wagon not hatchback) with that weird power front window and manual roll up rear window combo.

You know you are desperate for a wagon when.  :rofl2:

Don't forget about the Suzuki Esteem wagon. My buddy had one and I was shocked how big it was inside for a small wagon. Think its safe to say the V60 is pretty close to the V50 but would be nice if Volvo would bring over the V40 and I'm sure some people would love the V70.

Is the Golf the cheapest wagon now?

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:28 am »
I honestly don't know why Toyota even bothers with the Scion brand for North America, just slap Toyota badges on the Scion models they have and make there changes from there.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:27:56 am »
Sources indicate the station wagon variant of the Auris will not be offered on this side of the pond.

My thoughts exactly. Don't they see there is a niche for wagons? Everyone seems to offer hatches now, but only VW comes to mind for affordable wagons. Their next gen. one looks awesome and hopefully will be less expensive too.  It's like they don't do any market studies in here.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:28:11 pm »

My thoughts exactly. Don't they see there is a niche for wagons? Everyone seems to offer hatches now, but only VW comes to mind for affordable wagons. Their next gen. one looks awesome and hopefully will be less expensive too.  It's like they don't do any market studies in here.

I wouldn't say everyone offers hatches.  GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Nissan don't in the compact segment.  I agree, a wagon would make it a niche product.  Hopefully the hatch they bring, is better than the 2nd generation Matrix.  First gen was decent, 2nd gen not so much.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:25 am »
right now the only "true wagons" in my books are the VW Golf Wagon and Volvo's XC70

I leave the V60 out only because they curve the back so much, to me it's more like an extended hatch.

And even Subaru doesn't call the Outback a wagon anymore. 
 :'(

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 09:24:49 am »
right now the only "true wagons" in my books are the VW Golf Wagon and Volvo's XC70

I leave the V60 out only because they curve the back so much, to me it's more like an extended hatch.

And even Subaru doesn't call the Outback a wagon anymore. 
 :'(

IMO, the V60 is still a wagon, maybe not be as big as the XC70.  But just because it's curved at the back, doesn't mean it's not a wagon.  The Escape changed from boxy to curvy, but it is still a CUV.  I do agree the Outback is not a wagon.  Nor is the Venza.  The 3 series touring is though....

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 10:02:59 am »
^^^
I forgot about the 3 series.

My issue with the V60 (it's beautiful and all) BUT....   while I haven't taken official measurements, the really curved rear end cuts the useful cargo space that traditional wagons have.   From my eyeball guesstimates seeing the V60 at the auto show, I think the Matrix might have more space.

BTW, I like the boxy Escape far more than the curvy one.   ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:08 am »
I honestly don't know why Toyota even bothers with the Scion brand for North America, just slap Toyota badges on the Scion models they have and make there changes from there.

I concur, this brand makes "0" sense. Its supposed to be all cool and hip....buts it Toyota, thats like the cool guy at a tax consultants retreat. Besides the FR-S they have not released anything remotely interesting.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:11 am »
V60 is a wagon, albeit an expensive one. Venza IMO is a crossover, the kind one needs if a garage door is too low  :P
The last true people wagon was the Elantra Touring. Cheap to buy and economical to run, with tons of space in the back. Too bad it wasn't really a drivers car, for it's ancient 4 spd auto ( I believe manual had one more gear at least) and the torsion beam rear suspension. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 10:39:49 am »
V60 is a wagon, albeit an expensive one. Venza IMO is a crossover, the kind one needs if a garage door is too low  :P
The last true people wagon was the Elantra Touring. Cheap to buy and economical to run, with tons of space in the back. Too bad it wasn't really a drivers car, for it's ancient 4 spd auto ( I believe manual had one more gear at least) and the torsion beam rear suspension.

I doubt anyone was buying Elantra wagons to get under the 2:00 mark at Laguna Seca.........Ive driven one, it was a fine little car with the 5spd manual.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:11 am »

I doubt anyone was buying Elantra wagons to get under the 2:00 mark at Laguna Seca.........Ive driven one, it was a fine little car with the 5spd manual.

LOL, my sister from California was dumbfounded when I shipped a B&M short-shifter for my ET to her to bring back to Canada on her next visit.  Then she sees my car - "you're putting a short shifter on THAT??"  (Kinda like DKaz and his modded minivans I guess...)

Yeah, it's a decent handler.  Nothing fantastic, but FAR more composed than some compact hatch/wagons (looking at you, Matrix).  Not nearly on the level of a Mazda3 or Golf though.  And the ET does have an independent (multi-link)rear suspension - for some reason, Hyundai dropped this and went to a torsion beam on the new Elantra GT.  The ride is a little bit too stiff with 17s (45 series tire) - it's a little better on 16s (55 series).  I can't imagine the ET is particularly sporty with the 4AT, but with the 5MT (especially with the short shifter), it's a fun runabout - for a cheap, compact mini-wagon at least!

While a Scion Auris-wagon would be neat, I suspect it would be pretty sterile.  My #1 cheap wagon wish would be the European Focus wagon - it looks great, and I'm sure it drives well too.  The Golf Wagon with 1.8T should also be a hoot - though the price may end up straying out of "entry-level".

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:09 pm »
^^^
I forgot about the 3 series.

My issue with the V60 (it's beautiful and all) BUT....   while I haven't taken official measurements, the really curved rear end cuts the useful cargo space that traditional wagons have.   From my eyeball guesstimates seeing the V60 at the auto show, I think the Matrix might have more space.

BTW, I like the boxy Escape far more than the curvy one.   ;)

I like the boxy Escape as well.  New generation Escapes, and I have driven both (inlaws had previous gen, traded in for new generation with the 2L turbo) just seems to complex inside.   I guess it just depends on the vehicle. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 01:26:37 pm »
I too miss the old Escape and especially the old RAV.  New is not always progress.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 02:48:03 pm »
I too miss the old Escape and especially the old RAV.  New is not always progress.

I don't miss the interior of the Rav4 or the swinging rear door...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:36 pm »

LOL, my sister from California was dumbfounded when I shipped a B&M short-shifter for my ET to her to bring back to Canada on her next visit.  Then she sees my car - "you're putting a short shifter on THAT??"  (Kinda like DKaz and his modded minivans I guess...)

Yeah, it's a decent handler.  Nothing fantastic, but FAR more composed than some compact hatch/wagons (looking at you, Matrix).  Not nearly on the level of a Mazda3 or Golf though.  And the ET does have an independent (multi-link)rear suspension - for some reason, Hyundai dropped this and went to a torsion beam on the new Elantra GT.  The ride is a little bit too stiff with 17s (45 series tire) - it's a little better on 16s (55 series).  I can't imagine the ET is particularly sporty with the 4AT, but with the 5MT (especially with the short shifter), it's a fun runabout - for a cheap, compact mini-wagon at least!

While a Scion Auris-wagon would be neat, I suspect it would be pretty sterile.  My #1 cheap wagon wish would be the European Focus wagon - it looks great, and I'm sure it drives well too.  The Golf Wagon with 1.8T should also be a hoot - though the price may end up straying out of "entry-level".

Sorry. I stand corrected.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 07:47:09 am »
The Auris might be Toyota's best looking compact car anywhere... it'd be interesting to see what they do when they bring it over. Engines, options, etc. But I agree... Scion is mostly a useless brand. They would be better off using the Toyota reputation then having the sub brad that doesn't seem to be doing much for it.