Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 BMW M3  (Read 12787 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Test Drive: 2015 BMW M3
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 05:53:57 pm »
The feedback I've had from owners of full-on ceramic brakes is that they're grabby when cold, work about as well as conventional brakes (except for being touchy) and don't have any real advantage until you're able to put a LOT of pressure on them, most likely on a track.  They report that the only advantages are for track use and the fact that the brakes themselves last a long time.  Talking to an AMG driver, he didn't think they were worth the big bucks for street use, but he liked the look most of all.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 06:16:57 pm »
Awesome car but ceramic brakes are useless on a street as you can never keep enough heat in them.

that's why I was happy they had the base steel brakes on the press car. even the track cars probably didn't need the carbon ceramics, as there is no way we were pushing the cars to brake-overheating territory. but still, for ceramics, they were smooth on initial braking instead of going straight to whack-your-head-on-the-steering-wheel eager.

Exactly, even slotted and drilled rotors are overkill for street cars. The brakes on the S2000 are just as good as the fancy pants and pretty ones on the TT-RS

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »
Since I'm in a coupe mood this week, if I had to replace the Berlin taxi today this would be my top pick. I fancy it to be a decent commuter...plus all the real M goodies.

DO IT!!

I love my (now) "old" M3, and I don't have the itch to get another one. But I'm so happy I pulled the trigger. If you like it and want it, get it; you won't regret it.  ;D

And since you're talking about coupe, i think you mean the M4

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 06:28:12 pm »
The brakes on the S2000 are just as good as the fancy pants and pretty ones on the TT-RS

When I bought the Miata, I was a little hesitant about the long stopping distances recorded back when the car was new.  Did Mazda scrimp on the brakes?  They're small, but the car is light.

It was the 1994 tires.  With modern performance rubber, the car stops like a cat on velcro.  ABS would help, but I've only missed it on the track and maybe a small number of times on the street.

Northernridge

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 07:44:02 pm »
Since I'm in a coupe mood this week, if I had to replace the Berlin taxi today this would be my top pick. I fancy it to be a decent commuter...plus all the real M goodies.

DO IT!!

I love my (now) "old" M3, and I don't have the itch to get another one. But I'm so happy I pulled the trigger. If you like it and want it, get it; you won't regret it.  ;D

Oh right...I still think of the M3 as a coupe...and a sedan. Slow learner.  :P

If I buy one, I'm getting it rebadged.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:32 pm »
The brakes on the S2000 are just as good as the fancy pants and pretty ones on the TT-RS

When I bought the Miata, I was a little hesitant about the long stopping distances recorded back when the car was new.  Did Mazda scrimp on the brakes?  They're small, but the car is light.

It was the 1994 tires.  With modern performance rubber, the car stops like a cat on velcro.  ABS would help, but I've only missed it on the track and maybe a small number of times on the street.

The S2000 does have ABS. Other than that its naked.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 08:00:14 pm »
Do.  Not.  Like.  BMW's.  New.  Numbering.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2015 BMW M3
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 10:27:29 pm »

Yup.  My 300ZX was bad for braking in stock form.  Initially, I swapped in some SS lines, fresh dot 4 fluid and a set of Hawk HP+ pads and the braking greatly improved.  This setup was perfect, even for autocross.   However, track use is where I had to go to a track pad (Ferodo DS3000).  Once the power levels started increasing, I had to go with a BBK as the stock size rotors didn't have enough mass to deal with the heat despite having cooling ducts on them.  After 2 days at Oregon Raceway Park, the rotors had developed tons of little micro cracks and were warping.  After that, I put in a 13" Stoptech kit and run the same pad type and it works well.  Although, I now wish I went with AP Racing instead as the pedal feel is way better and you don't have to worry about pad knock back.  It happened to me once with the Stoptechs and it scared the crap out of me.  If I can find a buyer from my Stoptech kit, I'll switch or I will install anti knock back springs in the Stoptechs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:29:04 pm by mixmanmash »

Northernridge

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »
BTW, lots of decent photos with the article. Good job...whoever took them.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 11:32:52 pm »

DO IT!!

Oh right...I still think of the M3 as a coupe...and a sedan. Slow learner.  :P

If I buy one, I'm getting it rebadged.

U will be my hero!

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 02:00:44 am »

What do you mean "whoever took them"? You think I'd claim the photo credits if they weren't mine? Or just don't believe I could do a nice job on photos?  :'(

But really, thanks!  :)
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 10:10:35 am »

What do you mean "whoever took them"? You think I'd claim the photo credits if they weren't mine? Or just don't believe I could do a nice job on photos?  :'(

But really, thanks!  :)

I actually went back to look for the credit before I posted...sorry I missed it, my bad.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 03:28:00 pm »

DO IT!!

this colour is too subtle... these cars deserves colours that scream out to the world what they are - in this colour it doesn't have as much impact and isn't far off a 435i with M Sport package body kit and wheels - there is one at BMW headquarters that is very nice - they could easily slap the M435i badge on it as they have with the 2 Series.

I get the stealth aspect though, some people want it to fly under the radar, but i just love it in the blue i had, or phoenix yellow, and there was an orange in the last year of the E92 (or maybe longer, I'd never seen it before) that was also loud and proud!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:28:59 pm by jyarkony »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 09:08:04 pm »

DO IT!!

this colour is too subtle... these cars deserves colours that scream out to the world what they are - in this colour it doesn't have as much impact and isn't far off a 435i with M Sport package body kit and wheels - there is one at BMW headquarters that is very nice - they could easily slap the M435i badge on it as they have with the 2 Series.

I get the stealth aspect though, some people want it to fly under the radar, but i just love it in the blue i had, or phoenix yellow, and there was an orange in the last year (or maybe longer, I'd never see of the E92 that was also loud and proud!

Well, you're definitely got some company, as the "loud and proud" colors seem to be quite popular among those who are purchasing the new M3/M4!

I was surprised that I quite liked the new Austin yellow in person. For some reason, I felt it really suited the curves of the car, and as you said, made them stand out more.

I just have a thing for black. All our cars are a different shade of black.  :rofl2:  (Although my husband also likes black, I have promised him he can pick a color next time, lol)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 09:58:15 pm »
i went to bmw.ca to build one of these...a beautiful Sakir Orange colour, with matching leather interior and aluminum accents...lists out at $79.2k...it already comes with the heated steering wheel, heated seats, Harmon/Kardon sound system and comfort access, which is really the only features i'd want...i would really like the DCT (auto), but jeebus, $3900 for an automatic??...it's almost enough to make me pass on the car*.   :-[

*not that i'm actually in the market, of course.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 08:57:32 pm »
Julie, this one is for you. I am quite envious of you!!!   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7xNZUQXU3k

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 09:35:48 am »

DO IT!!

I was sitting at a light yesterday and on the other side of the intersection was a beautiful M4 in white.
(personally I'd go with a louder colour too) but it was like a sleeper.   To most, you'd glace and just think "nice B'mer" but if one looks a few seconds longer the stance and lower air vents starts to register and you realize what you're looking at triggering your inner lust function.   

I have happy to see them get the advance green so I could see it drive by!   :inlove:

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 09:49:55 am »
On the list of standard colours for the M4 there are only 2 loud colours, Austin Yellow and Yas Marina Blue. Colours are subjective, but Austin Yellow is a disappointment compared to Phoenix Yellow of the E46 M3, IMO.

Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 10:05:58 am »
My favorite current Bimmer colour is Tanzanite Blue, but $1450 seems a little steep to me and strangely n/a on the M model... :-\

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 10:44:53 am »
On the list of standard colours for the M4 there are only 2 loud colours, Austin Yellow and Yas Marina Blue. Colours are subjective, but Austin Yellow is a disappointment compared to Phoenix Yellow of the E46 M3, IMO.
i

I like the austin yello.  It looks good .
Pheonix yellow took some time to look good and in photos the light had to be just right.