Author Topic: I Did What I Said I Wouldn't....2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport  (Read 3126 times)

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
I Did What I Said I Wouldn't....2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:50:39 am »
I've been ranting about the new 2014 Mazda 3 and my brother's thus-far horrible experience with a first batch unit. 

After looking at the BMW X3 28d, Mercedes GLK 250 Bluetec and Volvo V60.....I ended up buying a 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport. 

Yeah, I know...it was a total turn-around but we realized since we don't have kids yet, leasing a car now for a hypothetical situation was a waste of money.  So, for the time being we decided to get the most efficient but fun-to-drive car possible for the best possible price. 

End result was: 

Mazda 3 GT Sport
Soul Red Paint
Luxury Package
Trunk Liner
Trunk Cargo Tray
6 Year / 120,000 Extended Warranty

Total came to $30,000 even (about $550 higher than dealer invoice with those options). 

The car is coming from the final 2014 (batch 3) production and already has the updated entertainment system interface that will be rolled out as an update for previous batches in October. 

I also got $7000 for my own outgoing Mazda 3 GT with 110,000KMs on it, about $2000 more than any other dealer was willing to go for. 

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the price and I get to use my existing winter rims + new winter tires. 

Interesting thing to note:  all Mazda 3 GT cars are still built in Japan while the GS and GX are built in Mexico.  Mexico production for the GT will start in early 2015. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:57:28 am by SKYMTL »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: I Did What I Said I Wouldn't....2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:56:42 am »
You didn't say what kind of transmission.  For this car, please say manual, although I am aware you were looking at automatics for your previous high end test-drives.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:58:14 am »
You didn't say what kind of transmission.  For this car, please say manual, although I am aware you were looking at automatics for your previous high end test-drives.

A manual doesn't existing for the GT Sport unfortunately.  :(

There will be one in 2015 though....supposedly. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:49 am »

A manual doesn't existing for the GT Sport unfortunately:(

There will be one in 2015 though....supposedly.

WHAT?!?  Kinda goes against the words 'GT' and 'Sport', doesn't it?  I thought Mazda was one of the last holdouts that offered manual transmission throughout most of their lineup.  Certainly, the previous generation Mazda3 GT was available with a manual!

Well, this is disappointing.  I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite, being that I drive an automatic car (wife determined).  But, should we ever get a second vehicle, you bet your ass it will have to be manual, and it seems like the pool of manual cars is shrinking ever smaller...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:58 am »
Congrats on the new car! Its a great pick and even with an automatic the car will still be as much fun as a manual.

Well, this is disappointing.  I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite, being that I drive an automatic car (wife determined).  But, should we ever get a second vehicle, you bet your ass it will have to be manual, and it seems like the pool of manual cars is shrinking ever smaller...

Hope you also spec it with wind up windows and use the key to open the door.  ;)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:23:41 am »
Congrats on the new car! Its a great pick and even with an automatic the car will still be as much fun as a manual.

Hope you also spec it with wind up windows and use the key to open the door.  ;)

There is a difference between getting a stripper car, and picking a manual transmission because you want to row your own gears.  I would certainly fall in the latter company...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:23:57 am »
nice car. though it's not what you were thinking, at least you got something that you should be happy with! enjoy
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:51:32 am »
Oh dear. Lol. Congrats! Great price. Did you go for the black or off-white interior?

It should come in 2015. It is strange that you can get the bigger Mazda 6 with the 2.5L Skyactiv in any trim you want with a manual, but the Mazda 3 GT 2.5L is auto only.

But then again, I'm hoping Mazda DOESN'T release the 2.5 in manual as it might tempt me to upgrade.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »
I wasn't a big fan of the white interior with the red. 

I got black leather with red stitching. 

I'm not a huge fan of the beige-ish roof liner but I can live with it. 

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:52:31 pm »
Congrats! Great car. Looking forward to the show and shine. :cheers:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:52:38 pm »
congrats!

so what were the finalists that made it till the end along with Mazda 3?  and why did you choose it over the competition?  was it the higher trade in the dealer offered?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 03:02:56 pm »
Was the competition all twice the price range?

Should've looked at the new VW Golfs.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 03:08:30 pm »
So here were the things that brought it ahead of the competition: 

Hatchback
Infotainment system is leaps and bounds better than anything else in its category
Steering wheel mounted controls are perfectly laid out. 
Good amount of passing power
Efficiency
The interior is class-leading

I'll miss my stupidly large glove-box though. 

The only other cars that would have fit that bill were the VW Golf GTI, Hyundai Elantra GT and Kia Forte 5.  The VW was a good $5000 more without any negotiation room and just didn't "feel" right (no idea why but my girlfriend through so too) while the Kia / Hyundai are both handsome cars in their own right but have atrocious gas mileage and really lacked the Mazda's poise on the road. 

The capable hatchback market really needs more entrants....

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:03 pm »

I did.  As I said above, I didn't like the "feel" of the Golf, the GTI was too expensive, VW's reliability (particularly on 1st gen models) is atrocious and there was literally zero room for negotiation. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

Well, this is disappointing.  I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite, being that I drive an automatic car (wife determined). 

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 03:24:00 pm »

I did.  As I said above, I didn't like the "feel" of the Golf, the GTI was too expensive, VW's reliability (particularly on 1st gen models) is atrocious and there was literally zero room for negotiation.

i see.    GTI is certainly a product that's class above the Mazda 3, so that one being too expensive is understandable.

Golf, on the other hand.  surprised you didn't like that car.   i thought it was an excellent car.   and my VW Rabbit is a first year of Mk 5 generation, and it's rock solid.

Now i'm gonna have to check out the Mazda 3...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:29:29 pm »

Well, this is disappointing.  I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite, being that I drive an automatic car (wife determined). 

Do I have to explain the concept of compromise in a relationship?  I wanted a manual sedan, she wanted an automatic SUV, so we ended up with an automatic sedan!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:31:24 pm »

Do I have to explain the concept of compromise in a relationship?  I wanted a manual sedan, she wanted an automatic SUV, so we ended up with an automatic sedan!

Single car family?  If so, you get a pass.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »

i see.    GTI is certainly a product that's class above the Mazda 3, so that one being too expensive is understandable.

Golf, on the other hand.  surprised you didn't like that car.   i thought it was an excellent car.   and my VW Rabbit is a first year of Mk 5 generation, and it's rock solid.

Now i'm gonna have to check out the Mazda 3...

Oh, the GTI was a fine car but also a good $7K more after everything was taken into account and in another insurance is in another ( much higher) category. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 03:42:37 pm »

Single car family?  If so, you get a pass.

We are indeed a single car family!