Author Topic: Auto Tech: Subaru StarLink Infotainment System  (Read 13259 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Subaru StarLink Infotainment System
« on: July 25, 2014, 06:28:34 am »

Jacob digs deeper into the 2015 Subaru Outback and Legacy infotainment system.

Read More...

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tech: Subaru StarLink Infotainment System
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:40:07 am »
I don't know, it still looks pretty chintzy to me. Mind you, the whole phenomenon of proprietary manufacturer's systems in cars can't last much longer. As much as manufacturers want to retain control, most consumers now understand that their smartphones have vastly superior navigation and entertainment apps and will demand that those interface seamlessly with a large display in the car. CarPlay (Apple) and Android Auto (Google) are just around the corner.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:01:30 am »
*roll eyes* that system is terrible!! it compares favorably to the Nissan Versa unit...actually hang on, I think the one in the Versa looks better!  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:47:18 am by Tauri13 »

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:42:50 am »
Thanks for the info Jacob - I can't imagine that it will be particularly useful for many folks, but it is to me.  Still debating between a Forester and an Outback, and though the infotainment system likely won't be the deciding factor it certainly may play a role in the decision.  And though the infotainment was good, how was the sound quality?

OTOH, Subaru may decide to upgrade the infotainment in their other models in subsequent years after they've rolled it out in the Outback/Legacy.  Sales would indicate that they don't NEED to do this upgrade (right now), but I would think it is a good "bang for the buck" upgrade to do (cheap electronic components, relatively easy to insert into other models, high potential to drive/maintain new sales, etc.)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:00:23 pm »
As much as manufacturers want to retain control, most consumers now understand that their smartphones have vastly superior navigation and entertainment apps and will demand that those interface seamlessly with a large display in the car.

^This. I don't want a built-in navi either. I have a better and easier to use app on my phone with my POIs and favourites already set-up. A better way would be a Play-To-esque api that simply transmits the screen image from your phone to the larger vehicle display. Or even better a hard dock that also transmits touch control inputs from the vehicular screen to your phone (while charging it and keeping it out of your hands - could such a holy grail be possible?). Good luck getting Apple to allow something like that though.

And with the larger smartphones the vehicular display at 6" is the same size as some of the phablets.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »
I would want built in Nav if most of them weren't designed thinking it's 1999.  Many of them require paid updates, etc.  Really?  If I really want Nav, I want voice instructions (don't want to look at a map screen while driving) and so I just plug my phone into the stereo and presto, nav on board.

Oh, and the pricing on many OE rigs is ridiculous.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »
As much as manufacturers want to retain control, most consumers now understand that their smartphones have vastly superior navigation and entertainment apps and will demand that those interface seamlessly with a large display in the car.

^This. I don't want a built-in navi either. I have a better and easier to use app on my phone with my POIs and favourites already set-up. A better way would be a Play-To-esque api that simply transmits the screen image from your phone to the larger vehicle display. Or even better a hard dock that also transmits touch control inputs from the vehicular screen to your phone (while charging it and keeping it out of your hands - could such a holy grail be possible?). Good luck getting Apple to allow something like that though.

And with the larger smartphones the vehicular display at 6" is the same size as some of the phablets.

I have NAV in my car and have used a few times...I like it and also enjoy the integration between all the other systems and NAV, when I am driving I set up the Navigation to show up in the instrument panel and that leaves the main unit for playing with songs, DVD, etc! Super handy!

What I'd like to see is an ability to send the address that I am looking for directly to the car - this is possible in the US, but Ford hasn't brought Sync Services to Canada yet. :-/

But going back to your post...no I don't want my phone NAV showing up in my car's unit. That creates a whole bunch of problems e.g. what if I don't own said smartphone? what if I don't want to own a smartphone at all? what happens in an area where I don't have bars and don't have a map pre-installed? etc etc etc...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:31:22 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 07:28:22 pm »
A local BMW dealer quoted me almost $700 for updating the maps on my hard-drive based built-in nav system. I can buy a new, unsubsidized iPhone or any number of great Android devices for that price!

I would want built in Nav if most of them weren't designed thinking it's 1999.  Many of them require paid updates, etc.  Really?  If I really want Nav, I want voice instructions (don't want to look at a map screen while driving) and so I just plug my phone into the stereo and presto, nav on board.

Oh, and the pricing on many OE rigs is ridiculous.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »
I've actually used the nav in my Lexus more than I ever thought I would.  It's just now convenient than taking the phone out.  And it is a 2009, so the tech is old and so are the maps buy it works.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 12:25:10 am »
there is a map update available for my car August 1st...it is $150...i'm not sure if that is considered expensive or not...i'm not going to bother with it, just sharing the info for comparison.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 08:09:51 am »
there is a map update available for my car August 1st...it is $150...i'm not sure if that is considered expensive or not...i'm not going to bother with it, just sharing the info for comparison.

I think that is expensive. You can buy a whole new GPS unit with better hardware and lifetime maps for that. Car manufactures have to get with the times are start offering lifetime maps at least to the original owner.  I think Volvo does now, not sure if anybody else does.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:59:29 am »

I think that is expensive. You can buy a whole new GPS unit with better hardware and lifetime maps for that. Car manufactures have to get with the times are start offering lifetime maps at least to the original owner.  I think Volvo does now, not sure if anybody else does.
a decent aftermarket GPS is usually $200 and isn't integrated nicely into the car...i still think that map updates should be less expensive (people would be more likely to buy them), or perhaps included with extended service plans (added value, which would translate into increased sales of them as well).

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 08:45:36 pm »

But going back to your post...no I don't want my phone NAV showing up in my car's unit. That creates a whole bunch of problems e.g. what if I don't own said smartphone? what if I don't want to own a smartphone at all? what happens in an area where I don't have bars and don't have a map pre-installed? etc etc etc...

You have to choose your phone wisely. Not all phones require a data connection for the map app to work. Some phones have NAVTEQ mapping built in as the basis of the mapping system with regional maps downloaded and installed on your phone, so I can pick which province or state I want map data for. New map updates are automatic and free. NAVTEQ is the database of many gps systems such as garmin. For example you can buy a previous generation 4" Nokia Lumia 900 for $100. You don't need a data connection for the map app to work. Just use your wifi, or starbucks to download the maps. The built in gps doesn't require cell tower triangulation to work.

After using these mapping apps, dedicated GPS driving devices are really archaic and clumsy in comparison.

In the bigger picture adoption rates for smartphones are increasing. So while you may not have one, there are more potential buyers of new vehicles that will have one. But maybe like how there are options for different console screens and navi aids, maybe this would just be one more option for those with a smartphone and would want to just connect their device.

The convenience of interfacing with your personal device would be unbelievable and would be more forward thinking IMO.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 12:05:33 am »

You have to choose your phone wisely. Not all phones require a data connection for the map app to work. Some phones have NAVTEQ mapping built in as the basis of the mapping system with regional maps downloaded and installed on your phone, so I can pick which province or state I want map data for. New map updates are automatic and free. NAVTEQ is the database of many gps systems such as garmin. For example you can buy a previous generation 4" Nokia Lumia 900 for $100. You don't need a data connection for the map app to work. Just use your wifi, or starbucks to download the maps. The built in gps doesn't require cell tower triangulation to work.

After using these mapping apps, dedicated GPS driving devices are really archaic and clumsy in comparison.

In the bigger picture adoption rates for smartphones are increasing. So while you may not have one, there are more potential buyers of new vehicles that will have one. But maybe like how there are options for different console screens and navi aids, maybe this would just be one more option for those with a smartphone and would want to just connect their device.

The convenience of interfacing with your personal device would be unbelievable and would be more forward thinking IMO.

LOL I wasn't talking about me...I have at least 6 and they all have different OSs - I don't have a BB though and don't want one. I was referring to other folks and developers - making sure that app will integrate well with the in-car unit, etc

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:08:49 am »
Great article Jacob,

I would however had liked to know a couple other things (if the info was available)

1. how much would it be to update ?
2. what Nav system is it? (Garmin?)
3. with the SD slot, can someone update the Nav themselves or is it dealer dependant?

This also makes for a great idea to have a Nav comparison article with most brands.

------------

I'm on the fence on having intergraded Nav in the car.   Currently we have an old Garmin Nuvi.   Back in 2009 for our Rocky Mountain trip, instead of buying a new system, Garmin has a discount for buying a lifetime update package.  So now I've got a Nuvi which has lifetime updates free and I do them about twice a year.

I'd much prefer something that's neatly intergraded in the car and not have to deal with power supply, bringing it in and out, etc.     However as mentioned, vehicle Nav systems are still very expensive and the biggest issue to me is updates.  I have found some dealers don't even know 100% sometimes how you go about updating the systems.   

In my mind, a good setup would be (say for a Garmin based system) to have the SD card slot with the car's system and be able to purchase a lifetime update package.  Download updates on your SD card, insert into car and presto!   No dealer visits and cost effective.   (our lifetime update package was around $75 and allows up to 3 updates per year)

Nav vs. Smartphone.
I've NEVER been remotely interested in using a smartphone as my Nav.  Part of this is the way I use ours.
It is for the most part simply on the general map and used as a visual guide.  Usually I do my mapping and research prior to leaving and like having the road ahead on the screen (you can see upcoming roads way before you actually see them)   Even when I use directions, I don't have the audio on. 

HOWEVER.......   a recent trip had us try Apple's map guide (or whatever it is) because my Garmin, although updated prior to the trip, couldn't locate an address.  I was looking for a new brewery in the middle of rural Ontario and Garmin couldn't find it (not even by actual address)  However the i-phone did find it.   It was surprisingly really good.    The only way I'd be able to use this however is with a co-pilot or if it can somehow show the mapping on the dash screen.   The only issue (aside from how much data does it take?) is, my wife found it was really eating up her battery quickly.   

My position right now is that if the vehicle I want, with the model I'd like comes with the Nav, that's fine.
However, paying extra for it is most likely not going to happen, but that would also come down to how and how much is it to update.   

My experience now has shown that while the mapping itself may not change too much and you might get away with not updating it (always carry a regular map).......  I do think the value in the updates is in the information for stuff (restaurants, destinations, gas stations, etc..)

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 12:48:46 pm »
What you're describing is very similar to the CarPlay and Android Auto offerings that will be supported by many manufacturers within the next two years.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 01:22:01 pm »
What you're describing is very similar to the CarPlay and Android Auto offerings that will be supported by many manufacturers within the next two years.

Booth Google and Apple are rushing to capitalize on vehicle "infotainment" systems.
it should be interesting how things pan out.   Each have been making deals with specific manufacturers.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
Great article Jacob,

I would however had liked to know a couple other things (if the info was available)

1. how much would it be to update ?
2. what Nav system is it? (Garmin?)
3. with the SD slot, can someone update the Nav themselves or is it dealer dependant?

This also makes for a great idea to have a Nav comparison article with most brands.

From Subaru:

1.       How much would it be to update?
a.       If you’re referring to upgrading the unit in previous models, it is not possible.
b.      If you meant to update the apps – there is no cost.
2.       It is a HERE navigation system.
3.       In the past consumers have been able to update maps themselves and as there have not been any updates thus far, we anticipate that trend will continue with this new unit.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 05:59:03 pm »

What happens if you want to go THERE?

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 12:26:26 pm »

What happens if you want to go THERE?

When you arrive it removes the T.