Author Topic: Different speed ratings  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Stevemtb

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ridgeline
Different speed ratings
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:42:41 pm »
I drive a Honda Ridgeline that came stock with Michelin LTX M/S 245/65R17 105S tires. The tires are now near the wear bars and I recently got a deal on two so bought them. There's now another deal on two more of the exact same tires but they're 105T. So the only difference is the speed rating is T, stock is S and the two I previously bought are S. Can I install two tires with speed S and two with speed T, or will this affect the handling/safety of the truck?

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
Re: Different speed ratings
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:56:29 pm »
The speed rating indicates the maximum speed that the tire is rated for.  S = 180km/h and T = 190km/h.  Unless you plan on hitting those speeds, I wouldn't expect any difference in the handling or safety in routine driving. 
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

If you have any doubts, just contact Michelin and ask them.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:19:37 pm »
The T rated tires will have a stiffer sidewall but you likely won't notice it.

I had Q rated winter tires before and they're a bit scary past 120 km/h, even though they're rated for 160 I think.

I'll probably go with H rated tires for my minivans next time. I find T too squishy sometimes for my tastes. But don't take my word for it, H rated tires might be too harsh for your liking.

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:20:58 am »
I drive a Honda Ridgeline that came stock with Michelin LTX M/S 245/65R17 105S tires. The tires are now near the wear bars and I recently got a deal on two so bought them. There's now another deal on two more of the exact same tires but they're 105T. So the only difference is the speed rating is T, stock is S and the two I previously bought are S. Can I install two tires with speed S and two with speed T, or will this affect the handling/safety of the truck?

The difference in speed rating between S and T is pretty small - and maybe more along the lines of being more aggressive in rating the tires rather than an actual difference in construction.   - And, NO!!!, there is likely no difference in the stiffness of the sidewall.

Compatibility?  Need more info - and it's the kind of info you won't find until you do the pairing.  Likely not an issue, but there is always the possibility that it might be. 
CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com