Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Nissan Micra SR; Day 1  (Read 15820 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Nissan Micra SR; Day 1
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:56 am »

The 2015 Nissan Micra made a big splash with its $9,988 base price, but how good is this car at $18,000 and change?
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Nissan Micra SR; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:46:32 am »
Something tells me that the new Mazda2 will be the new bench mark in this field when it rolls out, both in power to F.E. ratio but also in handling.

I'm not a fan of sneaky price marketing followed by inflated PDI/Freight and packaging.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:25 am »
I actually think you're being quite fair here - it's not to say that the car is "expensive;" rather, marketing shows that you can have the car for $9,988 in a trim that literally nobody will buy.  It's not to say that Nissan is lying - of course, you can option the car thusly - but whereas the general buying public in Canada (since we're only concerned about our home market, unlike Nissan) will almost never option a car without an auto tranny, making it available only in a package on the base model means that if you don't want to drive manual, you're buying a $13,300 car, +++.

One cannot complain about tax, freight, or PDI as they're standard costs, but one can most certainly complain that he/she came into a Nissan dealership expecting to buy cheap transport for their university kid, at $9,988, and accepts that it's $1,000 for an auto tranny for safety (as most parents would gander), just to find out that, in fact, their acceptable $10,988 car is now about $13,300 and you're in 1 year used territory for pretty much any C-segment car.

It's all to say that Nissan's entire marketing strategy is get people into the dealership first, force them to spend more when they get there because "hey, what's a few thousand dollars between friends?"

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:16 am »
As this site has already run an advertorial or two for the Micra I'll be interested so see the objective opinions formed in the next few days.

I know that loaded models are typically reviewed to allow for testing of all available options but the price this particular Micra has reached has put it into the company of some superior cars.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:46 am »
I would never spend 1000 for an automatic for a car like this.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:43 am »
For some, that's the only way that it CAN be purchased.  You can't change North American perceptions/preferences, certainly not any time soon.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:34 am »
The SR version of this car comes with Bluetooth, steering wheel audio controls, cruise control, air conditioning, driver’s armrest, USB connectivity, back-up camera, fog lights, 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels, power windows and mirrors, keyless entry and more. It actually comes with more things than I’d ever expect from a car in this category

I dunno if that equipment should be surprising.  Save for the Bluetooth and back-up camera, I would consider all that kit to be basically mandatory on ANY top range car.  Hell, these days, save for the most very basic strippers, don't all cars have at the very least power windows, locks and keyless?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:37:08 am »

Yeah, I agree, an auto in a s$%tbox car kind of takes all the appeal away of having a cheap, fun, economical car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:56:53 am »
I don't think any dealer in their right mind will order and stock the base version,  unless Nissan forces it upon them.   On the other hand,  if I am a bargain hunter,  I will wait til the end of the year and look for deals for any in stock base model with manual transmission for less then 9k.

tapatalk

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:20:34 pm »
usually dealers will stock maybe 5% of the advertised special... and we usually sell em too! but that's definitely not the volume seller.

These 9998 ones or whatever.. it's funny, because in ontario, they aren't even allowed to advertise that price from dealers... OMVIC even sent a very specific letter out specifying that "some brands have strategically priced cars to come in under 10k, if that does not include mandatory fees, than that price CANNOT be advertised"

mentally very different from 9998 to 11500k or whatever...

hopefully the advertising dollars don't change any opinions on the car. so far it seems to be a decent rig, just maybe not a class leader.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:52:02 pm »
The SR version of this car comes with Bluetooth, steering wheel audio controls, cruise control, air conditioning, driver’s armrest, USB connectivity, back-up camera, fog lights, 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels, power windows and mirrors, keyless entry and more. It actually comes with more things than I’d ever expect from a car in this category

I dunno if that equipment should be surprising.  Save for the Bluetooth and back-up camera, I would consider all that kit to be basically mandatory on ANY top range car.  Hell, these days, save for the most very basic strippers, don't all cars have at the very least power windows, locks and keyless?

I don't think anything I looked at recently when we traded the Ody in early comes standard with A/C or power locks (save maybe the Kia/Hyundai) I looked at the following: Accent, Rio 5, Fiesta, Yaris (not sure why anyone would buy this - interior is like a bazillion years old), Fit and we finally ended up getting a second Civic. It was like $16 a month difference between the Fit and a Civic (both LX models if I remember correctly - and this is on a lease). So I figured I'd take the extra 40HP and way more room and grab another Civic. I did opt for the stick in this one though - I can't stand the lag in downshifting with these modern trannies all desperately trying to reach top gear to maximize fuel economy.

Anyway back to my point. I don't think either the base Civic or Fit have A/C (for sure) or keyless entry (pretty sure). I know its pretty sad. I just wanted A/C really. For the fit you have to "move up" to the DX-A (for Air I'm guessing) but then to go to the LX where you get Bluetooth, keyless and a few other things is only like another 900$ or so dollars - plus you get the body coloured door handles and really who wants that nasty plastic crap that screams you bought the absolute cheapest model?  Anyway like most here are saying its not really false advertising but nobody I don't think in this day and age looking to buy a new car wants to get one without A/C.

With the $16 more per month I'm paying for the Civic I'm in the LX so I get heated seats, cruise, BT, and a few other things. I'm pretty good with that.

I looked at the Micra and despite its small size its actually pretty nice looking inside. I don't think there would be enough room for a child seat behind me though (I'm 6'1). The Versa Note on the other hand isn't much more money and from what I can tell has much better incentives at the moment. I know a lot of people don't like it but from a basic transportation point of view its actually quite nice inside. Pretty much everything in this category is between 17 and 18k so it really boils down to incentives and rates IMO.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 09:42:06 am »
For some, that's the only way that it CAN be purchased.  You can't change North American perceptions/preferences, certainly not any time soon.

The biggest percentage of manuals will be sold in Quebec. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:22 am »
When pricing out the Nissan Versa Note S online it comes to $19,139 with taxes (with auto).  It has air, and Bluetooth.  What are  the pros of an SL or SR Micra over the a base Note?  Besides the armrest.  The materials in the Note are better.  And I don't care about CVT vs 4 speed auto, as I would get the manual. 

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 09:58:38 am »
Day 3 left a very positive impression. Looks like the Micra is a great city runabout with decent highway manners. That turning radius is particularly impressive.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:20:26 am »
Looks like this little car is not as bad as everyone thought, after all.  I can see someone considering this as a second car for in-town trips.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 11:26:03 am »
So far the Micra is faring better than I'd thought it would. But with Hyundai (and others with their offerings) clearing out 2014 Elantras for about the same price as the SR, I can't see why I'd be considering this car in the first place. The turning circle IS amazing however! I agree with the idea that if Nissan wants to talk about a car under $10k they should try to make it good enough to buy on it's own merits.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 12:59:11 pm »
   The reference to dragging a bicycle is regrettable considering the inference and times we live in. In fact the Micra has plenty of power and the top levels of acceleration capabilities will never be used by the vast majority of owners for the total time of ownership IMO. and I don't hang around. The same can be said of Yaris and Mazda 2. et.al. I am sure.
   What is the norm for acceleration requirements? I suspect that these vehicles exceed it.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »
   The reference to dragging a bicycle is regrettable considering the inference and times we live in. In fact the Micra has plenty of power and the top levels of acceleration capabilities will never be used by the vast majority of owners for the total time of ownership IMO. and I don't hang around. The same can be said of Yaris and Mazda 2. et.al. I am sure.
   What is the norm for acceleration requirements? I suspect that these vehicles exceed it.

At city speeds, sure.  However, I bet that merging n a busy highway, or worse, trying pass on a single lane undivided, and you'll need to be the master of timing.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 02:07:35 pm »
Didn't even think of passing any tractors this week.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:08 pm »
The biggest percentage of manuals will be sold in Quebec.

God bless Quebec.