Author Topic: Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen Wolfsburg Edition Test Drive  (Read 4454 times)

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen Wolfsburg Edition Test Drive
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »
Our local dealership finally received their first Wolfsburg Edition wagon and, in my quest to find a diesel-sipping utilitarian vehicle, I decided to check it out. 

Make no mistake about it; this can't compare to the X3 28d I drove a few days ago and I don't expect it to. 

EXTERIOR IMPRESSIONS

It's a Golf Wagon so I wasn't expecting anything special, though the demo model had the 17" Grand Prix wheels and looked really good. 

We were also told that the Wolfsburg Edition badging wasn't applied at the factory to the car we tested.  Odd. 

INTERIOR IMPRESSIONS

I can see why folks would go for this version of the car.  It has literally everything a family could possibly want.  There's actually more horizontal space around each seat than the GLK 250 I tested earlier in the week. 

Unfortunately, while comfortable, the front seats are actually quite narrow which is an issue since the lateral upturns on the bottom cushions really restrict leg movement.  My girlfriend actually felt like they were digging into her legs in her normal driving position. 

The cockpit itself is pleasant with an excellent, well placed selection of controls, clear HVAC dials and good steering wheel controls.  The panoramic sunroof is just a beautiful addition and makes the interior feel much larger than it really is.  There's a lack of storage space within arm's reach and the iDevice-only media connection interface is far too limiting though.  VW needs to switch to USB ASAP, though an auxiliary port is provided on the radio / nav unit itself. 

Back seat legroom isn't spectacular but, as two 5'9" adults, we found it adequate. 

The real star of this show is the trunk.  It's massive and features a second hidden level which is kept out of sight by a movable cover.  That cover also dubs as an adjustable parcel blocker by neatly segmenting part of the trunk.  There are also numerous tie-downs in this area for securing heavier loads. 

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS

Steering is precise and wind noise is kept to a minimum.  The car feels REALLY well built when cruising on the highway or running over potholes.  We drove it in a torrent of rain that lasted about 10 minutes and I can feel how some would say the Sportwagen gets squirrelly in the winter months.  The traction control had an absolute fit when I drove it around a sharp corner in wet conditions.     

I WOULD NOT buy the Sportwagen TDI with the DSG, which was the only option they had on the lot.  There's a huge lack of power as the turbo spools up and it feels like the gearbox just doesn't want to behave.  Throttle response is anything but precise.  Engaging the air conditioning resulted in a ~2 second lag before any power was on tap.  We also drove a 2015 Golf TDI autobox which exhibited none of these issues. 

Brake feel is non-existent.  Tap the pedal and the brakes grab on in an effort to plant your face into the steering wheel.  Throughout the pedal's movement range, the same "gummy" feeling persists and when pressure is released, it feels like the brakes stay engaged for a fraction of a second as the pedal sloooowly returns to its normal position.  It's an odd feeling and one neither of us appreciated it. 

CONCLUSION

I absolutely love this car.  It's everything I could possibly want (minus AWD) in a package that's easy on the pocket book.  VW was keen to negotiate as well, which bodes well for anyone who wants a better price. 

Unfortunately, two things killed this for me:  the brake feel which (IMO) is downright dangerous and the immense lack of power.  I'll likely head back to drive a manual when they get them or, if I haven't found something else by then, test the 2015 Sportwagen. 

Interesting note:  while we were there, someone came in asking if the Tiguan was available in diesel.  According to the manager, they get a ton of those requests.  Are you listening VW!?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:46:56 am by SKYMTL »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen Wolfsburg Edition Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:14 pm »
Great review!

I still have yet to drive one of these so I was looking forward to reading your impressions.

Everything you describe is pretty much what I would have expected, except the lack of power and poorly-performing DSG. That’s really surprising. I’ve read so much about how, once under way, that down-low torque of the TDI has the car pulling so strongly - maybe the wagon's just too heavy for that motor.

It sounds like an awesome ride, but the lack of power would definitely give me pause. Maybe a good reason to wait for the 2015 1.8T wagon?

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »
Oh, there's plenty of low-end grunt.  You just have to wait forever for it. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:40:10 pm »
I found that to be true back in 2009

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:43:44 pm »

Ah, I see. I wonder if the manual tranny would have helped.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen Wolfsburg Edition Test Drive
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:02:08 pm »
The Tiguan OUGHT to be available in diesel with an MT as it is in the UK. I bet it is the EPA's badly thought out diesel emissions standards are the problem...that the 2.0 TDI just can't manage in the heavier  car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 04:11:11 pm »
Great review :thumbup:

Steering is precise and wind noise is kept to a minimum.  The car feels REALLY well built when cruising on the highway or running over potholes.  We drove it in a torrent of rain that lasted about 10 minutes and I can feel how some would say the Sportwagen gets squirrelly in the winter months.  The traction control had an absolute fit when I drove it around a sharp corner in wet conditions.

Crappy tires?

There's a lack of storage space within arm's reach and the iDevice-only media connection interface is far too limiting though.  VW needs to switch to USB ASAP, though an auxiliary port is provided on the radio / nav unit itself. 

Didn't the HU come with an USB slot? I thought this was standard since 2010.

I WOULD NOT buy the Sportwagen TDI with the DSG, which was the only option they had on the lot.  There's a huge lack of power as the turbo spools up and it feels like the gearbox just doesn't want to behave.  Throttle response is anything but precise.  Engaging the air conditioning resulted in a ~2 second lag before any power was on tap.  We also drove a 2015 Golf TDI autobox which exhibited none of these issues. 

I thought ALL TDI's were DSG excluding manuals of course.

Brake feel is non-existent.  Tap the pedal and the brakes grab on in an effort to face-plan your face into the steering wheel.  Throughout the pedal's movement range, the same "gummy" feeling persists and when pressure is released, it feels like the brakes stay engaged for a fraction of a second as the pedal sloooowly returns to its normal position.  It's an odd feeling and one neither of us appreciated it.

I've heard this comment before and the brakes on my GTI have about 4 personalities it seems. Some days they are the best, others not so much. I hope once I replace the rotors/pads things will change but I'm at 125K and still on the originals.

Ah, I see. I wonder if the manual tranny would have helped.

I think you just have to adjust to driving a diesel. Once above 60kph I find them more livable.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:19:17 pm »
Interesting, thanks for the review SKYMTL.

I am also really surprised about the DSG in the wagon. I love the DSG in my GTI, I think it's really well mated to the engine, and don't really feel any meaningful lag.  I've never driven a TDI with DSG though.

Brakes? Meh. One of the GTi's weaker points I would say. Not much feel. But I had it on the track once, and felt I could modulate it decently. In other words, it was predictable. I don't experience some of the weird sensations you describe, but mine doesn't have much feel. 

If I were you, I'd definitely wait for the Mk7 then.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:23:46 pm by Julie »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:43:14 am »
Used to have a Golf TDI + DSG. I think the engine is excellent, given it's mission, of course. It's fallen behind the competition in terms of fuel economy, but other than that I feel it is still a great little engine. I never got used to the DSG, though. I would now buy one with a manual.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Steiny

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Golf Wagon TDI Wolfsburg Edition 6SP, 2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline 6SP, 2005 Audi A4 1.8T Avant Quattro 6SP Sports Package, 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG, 2000 VW Polo 1.4TDI 6SP, 1989 Golf GL 1.8L
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:30 am »
If you can drive a manual, then definitely get that version.
It's not only much cheaper, but much more fun to drive. And much easier to maintain/service in the long term (if you choose to buy).
It will likely take a day or two to get used to the difference between a diesel and a gas manual, but after that you'll be laughing.
I had the Audi A3 with DSG back in Europe, and found it awkward in the city at times, particularly when cold is was little jerky.
So unless there is a real need to get an automatic, then I would recommend the manual.