Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD  (Read 6186 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:30:18 am »

Chevrolet's Equinox soldiers on as an affordable choice for Canadian families, though it feels like the fast-food version of a modern crossover utility vehicle.

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:12:58 am »
buying trends do amaze me - how one can test drive an Equinox back-to-back with pretty much any of its competition and still come out ahead for sales is beyond me...

Actually, it's not.  Jeff hit the nail on the head with reference to the extensive dealer network.  It makes a big, big difference when it comes to availability.

I just got back from a weekend in upstate NY (the first of pretty much every weekend) where literally every other car was a Subaru Forester (the other half were Legacies, Outbacks, Imprezas, and a ton of Priuses ???).  When I drove around town, the prominent dealership is the Subaru.  My brother, who recently moved to Sault Ste Marie wanted a Crosstrek, but was hesitant to buy one because the closest dealership was 3 hours away in Sudbury.  He still bought it, but that's because he lived in Toronto, bought it here, and drove it out there.  Had he been from the Soo, he wouldn't have driven 3 hrs away to buy a Subaru - and hence why his is the only Subaru he's seen there (shame he didn't get the Tangarine colour).

My father and I also debated marketing today on the commute to work - I noted that every other car was a Forester down there, and he said "well, had I known they were so good in the snow, I would have bought an Impreza instead of a Corolla."  I said, "well, sh!t, dad, do you live in a bubble?"

...but maybe I'm the one that lives in a bubble.  Marketing matters, availability matters, and sales show it.  Especially for rural areas or smaller cities, having no dealership means no sales for many.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »
buying trends do amaze me - how one can test drive an Equinox back-to-back with pretty much any of its competition and still come out ahead for sales is beyond me...

Actually, it's not.  Jeff hit the nail on the head with reference to the extensive dealer network.  It makes a big, big difference when it comes to availability.

I just got back from a weekend in upstate NY (the first of pretty much every weekend) where literally every other car was a Subaru Forester (the other half were Legacies, Outbacks, Imprezas, and a ton of Priuses ???).  When I drove around town, the prominent dealership is the Subaru.  My brother, who recently moved to Sault Ste Marie wanted a Crosstrek, but was hesitant to buy one because the closest dealership was 3 hours away in Sudbury.  He still bought it, but that's because he lived in Toronto, bought it here, and drove it out there.  Had he been from the Soo, he wouldn't have driven 3 hrs away to buy a Subaru - and hence why his is the only Subaru he's seen there (shame he didn't get the Tangarine colour).

My father and I also debated marketing today on the commute to work - I noted that every other car was a Forester down there, and he said "well, had I known they were so good in the snow, I would have bought an Impreza instead of a Corolla."  I said, "well, sh!t, dad, do you live in a bubble?"

...but maybe I'm the one that lives in a bubble.  Marketing matters, availability matters, and sales show it.  Especially for rural areas or smaller cities, having no dealership means no sales for many.

All great points. Every weekend in upsate NY? I am envious! Equinox sales benefit from the hoards of GM customers who may feel they want to migrate from a car to an SUV.  This is an obvious, but not wise, choice. Take the new Rav 4 for comparison: almost 300 cu liters more cargo capacity and it weighs 400 lbs less. Price? About $6000 less! Slam dunk.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:58:01 pm »
I won't buy a car that doesn't have a dealer in my city.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »

This is the reason I don't have a Lambo in the garage....no dealers in Edmonton  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 02:28:54 pm »

This is the reason I don't have a Lambo in the garage....no dealers in Edmonton  ;D

Yeah bummer, I feel your pain. Once I found out the nearest Bugatti dealer is in Quebec, I pulled the plug on the Veyron purchase.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »
I find it necessary to deem that Kitchener-Waterloo are part of Guelph.  But that does get everything I might be interested in ( except  Porsche) having a 'local' dealer.  Close enough for government work as they say.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »

Same reason I don't have one of these:

:rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 11:18:04 pm »
it does make a big difference, especially in the smaller rural areas...my in-laws live in a small town just 10 minutes outside of the city...they have bought most GM products (and a handful of Fords) over the last several decades simply because there was a GM dealer in their small town...that dealership closed when GM ditched Pontiac/Olds/etc, so anything he buys will technically involve a "ride into town"...he already mentioned he will likely be looking next year for a CUV/SUV...nothing too big (no Tahoe, or anything like that), but not too small (Sportage, for example is too small).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:26:39 am »
All great points. Every weekend in upsate NY? I am envious! Equinox sales benefit from the hoards of GM customers who may feel they want to migrate from a car to an SUV.  This is an obvious, but not wise, choice. Take the new Rav 4 for comparison: almost 300 cu liters more cargo capacity and it weighs 400 lbs less. Price? About $6000 less! Slam dunk.

Not sure where your getting your numbers.  I am not saying the dated Equinox is a better vehicle than the new RAV4.  But when comparing the Equinox LS 2WD, it goes for $28,194 with tax and freight.  The Rav4 LE 2wd, goes for $29,032.  So the Equinox is $800 cheaper. 

Nice thing about the Equinox is the availability of the V6.  Which is a rarity.  Hopefully next generation will keep that. 

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 10:26:36 am »
A friend is on her second one of these, even though the 1st one, a '10, let her down a couple of times, she got a '13 last year.  The main reason was that no other dealer would give anything for the trade in.  Although it is quiet, except for the engine noise, it's underpowed for the weight and the interior is the cheapest I've ever seen or felt.  It also tends to bounce around on less than perfect pavement.  I think it's overpriced for what you get and doesn't compare well with any of it's competitors.  It's cheap, but not inexpensive.  There's just no rationality when it comes to modern day vehicle purchases.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:17:39 pm »
it does make a big difference, especially in the smaller rural areas...my in-laws live in a small town just 10 minutes outside of the city...they have bought most GM products (and a handful of Fords) over the last several decades simply because there was a GM dealer in their small town...that dealership closed when GM ditched Pontiac/Olds/etc, so anything he buys will technically involve a "ride into town"...he already mentioned he will likely be looking next year for a CUV/SUV...nothing too big (no Tahoe, or anything like that), but not too small (Sportage, for example is too small).
well, just found out my FIL bought a new SUV yesterday...a brand new Equinox (not exactly sure what trim level, but i would assume at least mid tier, if not a bit higher)...in my mind, i did a face palm, but he said he has a good relationship with the dealer in Exeter...oh well, as long as he is happy...it's too bad he didn't really test anything else though...the Equinox isn't terrible, but there are certainly better choices out there.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:25:37 am »
well, just found out my FIL bought a new SUV yesterday...a brand new Equinox (not exactly sure what trim level, but i would assume at least mid tier, if not a bit higher)...in my mind, i did a face palm, but he said he has a good relationship with the dealer in Exeter...oh well, as long as he is happy...it's too bad he didn't really test anything else though...the Equinox isn't terrible, but there are certainly better choices out there.
I have a coworker that recently bought a used one at a steal of a deal.  2013, 12000kms, fwd, nicely equipped (not sure exactly what trim) for $11k.  Equivalent models with more mileage were going for $19k.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 08:15:12 pm »
I have a coworker that recently bought a used one at a steal of a deal.  2013, 12000kms, fwd, nicely equipped (not sure exactly what trim) for $11k.  Equivalent models with more mileage were going for $19k.

hopefully wasn't a rental

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:59 pm »
i think they have to disclose it being a rental...that said, i really don't think it being a rental is that bad...at least it would have been maintained.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 08:38:58 pm »
Not really sure if I would want a rental, guess the deal would have to be sweet enough.  That being said, often the vehicle I want isn't normally rented.