Poll

When?

within next 5 years
7 (21.9%)
within next 10 years
4 (12.5%)
within next 20 years
2 (6.3%)
Never.  I don't see a need for a car, be it EV or ICE.
3 (9.4%)
Tomorrow...  if one were available in my price range and fit my needs.
13 (40.6%)
I like the sounds of internal combustion too much to give it up in my life.
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Would you consider buying an EV?  (Read 7256 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Would you consider buying an EV?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 06:42:19 pm »
Speaking of electric cars:

Zero-footprint Solar Vehicles Show Off in Oil Country

Edmonton, Alberta. May 30th 2014. Alberta-made technology advances are heralding a new era of passenger transport that doesn’t harm the environment and could cost next to nothing to run.

A new generation of all-electric cars can now be plugged in to solar panels on the garage roof, boasting zero footprints in both emissions and fuel-creation.  “A $7000 solar-panel rooftop system pays for itself from gas savings in five years,” smiles Rob Harlan, Executive Director of the not for profit, Solar Energy Society Alberta, “So not only will Albertans soon be driving a zero emissions cars, they won’t pay a cent for fuel either.”

The new reality is showcased at June 7th's Drive the Future Expo the largest collection of alternative vehicles ever gathered in Alberta, many on display for the first time– over fifty vehicles from motorbikes to buses, powered by options including electric, hybrid, biodiesel, human-powered, hydrogen and solar.

Some already drive Alberta’s roads today. Other prototype stars of the show include the University of Calgary’s solar-powered Schulich Delta Race Car, the University of Alberta's Hydrogen Fuel Cell Race Car and commercially available cars like the Tesla Model S that can cover 425km, accelerate 0-100km/hr in 5.6 seconds and reach speeds of 200km/hr–on a single charge. Slowed down a bit by an Alberta winter of course.

Seven cars using different technologies are showcased at the June 6th media conference, some for reporters to test drive.

Drive the Future Expo showcases future trends in the alternative energy sector through a daylong series of workshops and exhibitions, highlighting solar technologies that do everything from pump music to baking cookies.  Other fun for the family activities include test rides in electric motorcycle and cars.

The future trend for the electric vehicle market is exponential growth. The U.S. will have 1.5m electric cars pioneered by major manufacturers like GM, Mistubishi and Nissan on the road by 2015, rising to 20m in 2020. 39% of electric vehicle owners in the U.S. use solar  systems on their homes to fuel their cars.

Considering Alberta boasts the highest number of sunlight hours in Canada, “We’ll soon be seeing more and cheaper solar-powered cars on Alberta’s roads that don’t cost a single drop of oil. Just a kiss from the sun,” hopes Harlan.

ABOUT: The Solar Energy Society of Alberta, (SESA) is an Emerald Award winning not for profit society dedicated to alternative energy education and promoting energy security, economic competitiveness and a cleaner, healthier environment for generations to come.

http://www.solaralberta.ca/

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 10:51:35 pm »
I've seen advice that Li-ion battery packs should be stored at about 60% charge, and NOT on the charger.  I'd be interested to know how your experience compares to that.

The Smart ED battery is 17.6 kwh of "usable" storage.  There is buffer at the bottom and top, meaning, I've driven 10 km past the "0 range left recharge immediately or else" warning lights, which is at least 2.5 kwh of buffer on the low end, perhaps more.  On the high end, the car will not use regenerative braking when the battery is full, I need to drive about 1km before the regen will kick on, so there is overcharging prevention also built in to the car.

The technical manual states the high voltage battery is actively heated and cooled to maintain operating temperature of -20C to 40C.  The built in charger has no options to limit charge, so I always charge to the "100%" on the gauge, but of course, like I said, there is room about that in the batteries themselves, but you can't make use of it, the car prevents charging past the limit they've set for the battery voltage.

So : I just charge and drive.  Half a year, and many thousands of km into my journey, I've seen no sign of lost range or performance.

The Escape Hybrid's battery is not allowed to charge above 63% or discharge below 40%.  From the '05 to the '09 versions, the hybrid battery had its own hvac system mounted in the rear driver side quarter panel.  They have a vent panel in the rear side window.  As of the '10 model year, they just use interior air to heat/cool the hybrid battery.  Which means the battery is not at operating temperature more of the time, which translates into a small mileage penalty.

The Escape Hybrid also will not engage regenerative braking when the hybrid battery is at full capacity, and it also does not do so while the engine is warming up itself and the catalytic converter.  If it stored energy during that phase, it would be using that for propulsion instead of working the ICE.  Since the ICE has to run anyway at cold startup, and it's mostly running to heat itself, I put my seatbelt on and release the parking brake before starting it.  I start it and drive off immediately so as not to waste that time when the ICE will run anyway.  In the winter it takes a few minutes before it will go into ev mode, while in hot/warm weather it takes only a few blocks.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 08:23:43 pm »
Sitting around the kitchen table a few days ago the question came up  "why did we buy the Mercedes GLK?".   It is becoming more evident that we prefer driving in an electric car in my family.  The Smart ED is the go-to vehicle for trips around town.  My wife and I take it on our date nights, and she just did a Costco run today and filled it to the brim and was surprised it could fit so much.

I've got to stop going to the Tesla web site and pricing out options...I'm waiting patiently for the smaller Tesla in a few years time (our driveway and garage are too narrow for the Model S) but at least I can enjoy my Smart ED in the meantime.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 08:53:00 pm »
^ uh well I do have a few questions/answers about that

1. why not a GLK250
2. because the Smart probably does not do so well with a carseat? (even RR would agree with this one... ;))
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 11:57:20 pm »
1. why not a GLK250

No more efficient for short 8km runs, which is the majority of the driving this car gets.
Greater particulate pollution.
Wasn't yet available.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 11:59:49 pm »

2. because the Smart probably does not do so well with a carseat?

I've got a booster seat permanently in my co-pilot chair of my Smart ED as my littlest prefers it over the GLK for the short school drop off and the occasional after dinner "ice cream store" trips.

Safe car in the city, I drive it on roads with 50km/h max speed limit for the most part.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 07:50:42 pm »
Now in Kingston, Ontario

Mr Pickypants

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2014, 07:55:26 pm »
^^^ Very cool
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
REPORT: EVs cause 86 percent more deaths from air pollution than ICE cars
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:49 pm »
Wow...pretty bad report card for EVs using coal generated electricity!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_CLIMATE_FUEL_EFFECTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-12-15-15-01-37

Fortunately for us, much of our power comes from hydro.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: REPORT: EVs cause 86 percent more deaths from air pollution than ICE cars
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »
Wow...pretty bad report card for EVs using coal generated electricity!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_CLIMATE_FUEL_EFFECTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-12-15-15-01-37

Fortunately for us, much of our power comes from hydro.

Agreed, I have been saying that for years now. It's all about the marketing  :)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 08:47:19 pm »
Now in Kingston, Ontario

Sweet. Now we just wait for the first pickup to back into the "pumps"  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 09:01:48 pm »
I can only assume this is the study they are refering to:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/12/10/1406853111.abstract?sid=e858b38f-6ed1-487b-a8a0-5d3bad73e3a2

It's 80% higher if from coal, but 50% less if produced by renewables. So basically shut the coal plants down, and we'll be in good shape.

39% of US energy currently comes from coal. It's less than that in Canada, where we get the biggest chunk from hydro.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:44 pm »

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/12/10/1406853111.abstract?sid=e858b38f-6ed1-487b-a8a0-5d3bad73e3a2

It's 80% higher if from coal, but 50% less if produced by renewables. So basically shut the coal plants down, and we'll be in good shape.

39% of US energy currently comes from coal. It's less than that in Canada, where we get the biggest chunk from hydro.

What is green then  :) Nuclear and hydro are not exactly easy on the environment.   

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 09:16:46 pm »

What is green then  :) Nuclear and hydro are not exactly easy on the environment.

With respect to emissions they are. Nothing is impact free.

Actually with Nanticoke coal generation shut down in 2013, the coal figure has fallen considerably since that graph was created.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:18:32 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »