Author Topic: It Ain't Easy Judgin' Green: The 2014 Green Car Awards Explained  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

How Canada's best Green Car is decided.

Read More...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: It Ain't Easy Judgin' Green: The 2014 Green Car Awards Explained
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:27:48 am »
Cadillac ELR
You can select a regenerative driving mode, then regenerate the battery by paddling efficiently! Cool. It takes some getting used to but is genuinely unique

Not unique.  The Smart Electric Drive provides regenerative paddles as a $200 option and has been available since the 2013 model.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:32:50 am »

The Smart Electric Drive uses the least amount of energy in construction, and was voted the greenest car available in North America by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) per
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/aceees-greenest-car-2014-smart-fortwo-electric-meanest/

The highest possible score in ACEEE's formula would result in 100, but the Smart ED won with a 59, showing just how much further the industry has to go to really green up its act, according to ACEEE. Aside from fuel use, ACEEE looks at pollution - particulates, greenhouse gases, etc. - from vehicle and fuel production and its effect on health. The average vehicle, ACEEE says, scores a 37 while those mean ones only manage a 17 or so. It's interesting to note that 59 is the highest score ACEEE has ever handed out,

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:37:47 am »

The Smart Electric Drive uses the least amount of energy in construction, and was voted the greenest car available in North America by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) per
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/01/28/aceees-greenest-car-2014-smart-fortwo-electric-meanest/

The highest possible score in ACEEE's formula would result in 100, but the Smart ED won with a 59, showing just how much further the industry has to go to really green up its act, according to ACEEE. Aside from fuel use, ACEEE looks at pollution - particulates, greenhouse gases, etc. - from vehicle and fuel production and its effect on health. The average vehicle, ACEEE says, scores a 37 while those mean ones only manage a 17 or so. It's interesting to note that 59 is the highest score ACEEE has ever handed out,

Pretty exceptional that a gas car, the Prius C was just barely edged out by the Smart.

Of the cars on the list, the CT200H would be the one I'd prefer to drive day in, day out!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: It Ain't Easy Judgin' Green: The 2014 Green Car Awards Explained
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:42:26 am »

Pretty exceptional that a gas car, the Prius C was just barely edged out by the Smart.

Of the cars on the list, the CT200H would be the one I'd prefer to drive day in, day out!

Well yeah....its a real car, not a glorified golf cart with licence plates.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:52 pm »

It was beat by 2 points in a span of 7. That's a fair bit.

To assess whether 2 points is a lot or a little we have to know something about the distribution. Otherwise I could subtract 50 points from everything and say that the Smart was a 9/10 car while the Prius C was a mediocre 7/10, which is equally silly.

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »

Well yeah....its a real car

I've rented the Prius and found it reasonable transportation to be sure, but not any more special than the old Ford Focus I drove for 10 years.

The Smart Electric Drive that I own now is one of the greatest fun factors of any vehicle I've owned, second only to the lowered/slammed Chevy Beretta GTZ with the 7600RPM redline Quad4HO engine I drove in the early 1990's.

The best part of this small car is the 100ftlb torque available at 0 RPM in a vehicle weighing 900KG.  As a ratio, that is closely comparable to my Mercedes SUV, and in the city, it's far more fun to drive an electric than a gas car, FULL STOP.

The Smart is rear wheel drive, and as such is my second such car, as I owned a 1996 300HP 6 speed Z28.  It adds to the fun factor.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:03:04 pm »

The Smart Electric Drive that I own now is one of the greatest fun factors of any vehicle I've owned, second only to the lowered/slammed Chevy Beretta GTZ with the 7600RPM redline Quad4HO engine I drove in the early 1990's.

Wow...you sure haven't driven very many fun cars if that's your barometer.   ;D

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »
  lowered/slammed Chevy Beretta GTZ with the 7600RPM redline Quad4HO engine I drove in the early 1990's.

Wow...you sure haven't driven very many fun cars if that's your barometer.   ;D

;D  Sometimes, memories from when you are younger and more reckless are more intense.  I do not exaggerate when saying I took that car to redline dozens of times every day, it was a fun car to drive.

The Z28 however was a monster tire shredding machine...I went through two sets of wheels a year.  Still have memories of a 200 foot burn out, watching the cars behind appear out of a white cloud.    :popo:

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:44:04 pm »

great info! thanks.

Their was a concerted effort with this award to balance outright environmentalism with practicality and 'mass appeal' in contrast with the ACEEEEEEEE award from a purely scientific perspective which does not take into account what vehicles are like to drive and live with. I am impressed with the Leaf in particular, though - I enjoyed driving it, it's reasonable in price, has enough range for urban use, and I could actually drive my kids where we needed to go in it.... I guess that's why Michael Bettencourt bought one.

also, good for the Mirage!
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman