Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Audi SQ5  (Read 7230 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Audi SQ5
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:30:18 am »

Cross(over)fit.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Audi SQ5
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:07:48 am »
I agree about the colour. We have a Deep Sea Blue Metallic 328 and while I love the colour it shows every spec of dirt or water spot.

It never fails to amaze me how a company selling a 67K vehicle is willing to risk alienating customers by nickle and dime stuff like charging $40 to connect an Ipod.  ::)

I also agree with Karlsdarwin about the carbon trim option.  Hell, I'd pay extra not to have to have it.  ;D

I'm going to Moncton to take my wife's BMW in for service tomorrow and plan a stop at the Audi dealership to have a look at a Q5.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:51 am »
Wait for it, wait for it...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:59 am »
I also agree with Karlsdarwin about the carbon trim option.  Hell, I'd pay extra not to have to have it.  ;D

Too bad Karlsdarwin removed his post so we have no idea what he said. :think:

It looks like the carbon is optional so no need to add it.

Options: $5500 [$800 – Estoril Blue Paint; $500 – Carbon Atlas inlays; $3200 – Navigation w/ park assist; $1000 – B&O Sound System]

I'd also delete the badges on this thing.

I think I could option out a Macan pretty close to SQ5. Without driving either I pick the Macan.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Audi SQ5
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:35 am »
I think I could option out a Macan pretty close to SQ5. Without driving either I pick the Macan.

I agree.  It's too bad Audi doesn't equip the North American SQ5 with the hopped up V6 turbo diesel like they do in Europe.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:35:48 am »
We are going shopping for a Q5 in a week or two...I hope that there still are some available by then.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:42:39 am »
don't see any point in this vehicle, personally. To me, just buy a basic baby-stroller such as a Q5 if you MUST have such a vehicle [what is wrong with a wagon?  :run:], and put the rest of the money towards a sports car. These German automakers need to stop trying to fit together vehicle segments that shouldn't be put together [like the ridiculous coupe-suv craze at the autoshows this year  :hurl:]. Get over it, Dad, you had kids, now deal with it...

I am sure it is great and all, and might even be fast, but no thanks. I will keep my sports car that was meant to be so, and my family hauler will be safe and slow. Who wants to go the speed of light with kids in the back anyways?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:27 am »
don't see any point in this vehicle, personally. To me, just buy a basic baby-stroller such as a Q5 if you MUST have such a vehicle [what is wrong with a wagon?  :run:], and put the rest of the money towards a sports car. These German automakers need to stop trying to fit together vehicle segments that shouldn't be put together [like the ridiculous coupe-suv craze at the autoshows this year  :hurl:]. Get over it, Dad, you had kids, now deal with it...

I am sure it is great and all, and might even be fast, but no thanks. I will keep my sports car that was meant to be so, and my family hauler will be safe and slow. Who wants to go the speed of light with kids in the back anyways?

Yes, we get it, you don't like performance SUVs. No need to remind us of that fact in every thread about them. It's pretty clear there is a demand for crossovers like this.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:08:19 am »

Yes, we get it, you don't like performance SUVs. No need to remind us of that fact in every thread about them. It's pretty clear there is a demand for crossovers like this.
ok ill shut up about it then  :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:39:28 am »
Wait for it, wait for it...

You mean :

"This is too expensive, I'd much rather a diesel, AWD wagon with a manual for 30K"  :rofl:

:rofl2: Or I would rather do burnouts in a Dodge for 1/3 of the price. The gong show after a review of a German car is so predictable  :P

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:18:00 am »

Too bad Karlsdarwin removed his post so we have no idea what he said. :think:

It looks like the carbon is optional so no need to add it.

Options: $5500 [$800 – Estoril Blue Paint; $500 – Carbon Atlas inlays; $3200 – Navigation w/ park assist; $1000 – B&O Sound System]

I'd also delete the badges on this thing.

I was having a Monday morning moment and read carbon trim as being $3200 and almost fell outta my chair... :shuffle:  Even $500 is too much IMO, so yeah scratch that option!

I also agreed about the blue paint comment as I had a similar blue colour on my old OBW and found it worse than black for scratches and keeping clean.  I do like the vehicle and colour though.  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:33 am »

As it happens there is an almost identically equipped Audi wagon, the A4 Allroad and we will be looking at that as well. 

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 10:32:56 am »

Although I agree with some of your sentiments (namely, preferring wagons to small SUVs), the point is there aren't many comparable wagons offered anymore in North America.

And I'm not sure whether you have kids or not, but the reality for most of us with young ones is that there simply isn't time to enjoy a proper sports car.   No time for washing, caring and, especially, going for destination-less drives in the country simply for the sake of driving.   

So if you're going to be doing all your driving in one do-everything vehicle, why not choose an SQ5?   I'm sure it's a lot more fun to drive than most crossovers.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:40:21 am »

As it happens there is an almost identically equipped Audi wagon, the A4 Allroad and we will be looking at that as well.

Identically equipped minus the engine, of course.  :)

I wish they still offered an S4 wagon in this corner of the world.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 10:54:38 am »
And don't forget older drivers. I have a 60ish year old uncle who was always a car enthusiast, but with his bad hips and knees could probably not even get into a proper sports car now.

A friend of my parents' actually just bought an SQ5. He's always owned nice cars (had a Porsche 930 when I was a kid) and says he loves the SQ5. Raised ride height so it's easy to get into, handles great on the street, room for the occasional grand kid and stuff in the back, AWD for getting to their cottage in ski country, and some extra oomph to keep it fun when you stand on the go pedal.

I'd probably choose something else for myself right now, but in twenty years? I think a sporty vehicle like this would be perfect.

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:19 am »
"...one of the best all-round vehicles I’ve driven yet this year"

To me this is where these smallish Euro CUVs shine, as all-arounders all-year long. If you have to have only one vehicle, you want a nice one and don't want it to be a sedan, these are a good choice.

My mind still drifts to the Macan though.

The segment does remind me how good value sedans are by comparison...look at how much A4 you can buy for less than the SQ5 for example. And, I expect all rates and incentives will be better too.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 11:32:06 am »
I agree with the sentiment of , "why not a sportscar plus base Q5," but the fact is, you'd be in this thing far more often if you had kids. I drive slow when my kid's on-board, but en route to pick them up is perhaps a different story...  ;)

It's an all-rounder, not a performance car, and while I wish Audi made a true S4 Avant (and I bet they'd sell well enough in Canada at least, considering the following the old car had), this is a pretty good performance machine with few drawbacks. The weight's kind of a bummer, but modern Audis are all pretty heavy.

I've a Volvo R-design wagon in a few weeks, and I'm interested in seeing how that stacks up, as they're essentially the same price.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »
I think I'm alone on this one, but other than the $3,200 for navigation/park assist, I think Audi has priced this extraordinarily well.  I think the S4 is the best value sports car out there and this isn't much more expensive despite the extra heft.

I typically shy away from vehicles with less than 7" of ground clearance, so with 7.9", the SQ5 delivers on what I would need.  $54k for the base model would suit me just fine.

I wouldn't get a Macan over this.  IMO, Superchargers > Turbochargers and at least the Audi won't have a bunch of plastic covers where the multitude of Porsche buttons should be (since I won't spend $50,000 in options to have the buttons put in).

by the by, I believe Audi calls it the V6T because they consider it a "mechanical turbocharger", effectively giving the middle finger to the term "super"charger.  In reality, it's semantics: the turbo came before the super and it's a turbine that is used to force-feed the engine.

I think supercharger is a better term than mechanically-driven turbocharger though.

...and I hate Turbo-lag more than I hate parasitic losses or supercharger whine.

Twin-charged, on the other hand  :drool:  Come on, Volvo!  Brrrrring it!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 01:30:25 pm »
I agree with the sentiment of , "why not a sportscar plus base Q5," but the fact is, you'd be in this thing far more often if you had kids. I drive slow when my kid's on-board, but en route to pick them up is perhaps a different story...  ;)

It's an all-rounder, not a performance car, and while I wish Audi made a true S4 Avant (and I bet they'd sell well enough in Canada at least, considering the following the old car had), this is a pretty good performance machine with few drawbacks. The weight's kind of a bummer, but modern Audis are all pretty heavy.

I've a Volvo R-design wagon in a few weeks, and I'm interested in seeing how that stacks up, as they're essentially the same price.

Just what I've been waiting for... :popcorn:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 01:32:53 pm »
Not as much power as I was expecting in an "S" version.

For all these hotted up versions of CUVs, I think of a quote I heard years ago:"When commenting on a dancing dog, one doesn't comment on the quality of the dance, but on its ability to dance at all." or words to that effect.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken