Author Topic: doing some research  (Read 4623 times)

Offline jogrady3

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Corolla
doing some research
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:00 pm »
Hello there!

It's almost time for my very first car, a 2004 Toyota Corolla, to soon be crapping out on me (maybe another year or so for her, mechanic unsure). It's been a great car! Super reliable, safe and very good on gas! She's got almost 300,000kms on her too.

I'm looking to buy a used car with the same criteria in the next year or so, when my Corolla does officially die on me. Needs to be excellent for reliability, safety and fuel economy. I'm also looking for something that looks really nice too, but that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I'm in my early 20s so I'm not sure if the model will affect how my I'm charged for insurance.

Any suggestions as to what car I should look for in the near future would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!  :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: doing some research
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:28:13 pm »
Hello there!

It's almost time for my very first car, a 2004 Toyota Corolla, to soon be crapping out on me (maybe another year or so for her, mechanic unsure). It's been a great car! Super reliable, safe and very good on gas! She's got almost 300,000kms on her too.

I'm looking to buy a used car with the same criteria in the next year or so, when my Corolla does officially die on me. Needs to be excellent for reliability, safety and fuel economy. I'm also looking for something that looks really nice too, but that won't cost me an arm and a leg. I'm in my early 20s so I'm not sure if the model will affect how my I'm charged for insurance.

Any suggestions as to what car I should look for in the near future would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!  :)

Welcome to the forum.  Every model affects insurance, the question is by how much.  A Civic is more to insure than a Corolla.  Something that looks nice, is a personal preference.  To me I like how the new Mazda3 looks, to some others, it looks weird with a long hood.  Just keep your eyes open, and see what models catch your eye.  Set a budget.  And try to limit them to 5, and then take them for test drives.  Then come back....

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:16 pm »
I'm guessing another Corolla is in your future, for now.   :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:11:11 am »
I'm guessing another Corolla is in your future, for now.   :)

But he said it has to look nice too... ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:31:49 pm »
New Corolla.

Mazda 3 alternative choice. Hatchback is useful.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline jogrady3

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Corolla
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »
Any thoughts on the Mazda2?

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 05:42:55 pm »
Any thoughts on the Mazda2?

They recently had incredible deals on them...like around $12K. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:57:23 pm »
i'm another in the corolla boat. they got better looking, reliability was still there and efficiency was still pretty good.

the mazda line seems to be more for the "drivers" out there and dynamic driving wasn't a criteria you mentioned, so not sure if that's a big selling feature.

overall, for the things you mentioned as hot buttons, the 2's size might make the fuel better, but physics will say the safety will be a little less than a similarly equipped larger car. bit of a wash.

lots of good cars out there, most will check the needs columns you have. find which one covers the wants and off you go!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:18:05 pm »
The Mazda3 gets better real world fuel numbers than the Mazda2 due to the skyactiv engine.  Not sure I would pick a subcompact, if I only had one car.  Most likely a compact.  If the Corolla fit the bill for you before, and your needs have changed, that sounds like your best option. 

Budget is a big factor as well.  You mentioned you were looking for a used model.  Toyotas/Hondas/Subaru hold their value well.  So there are less bargains out there for those models.  But you could land a good on an Elantra, or Cruze.  Hard to go wrong in the compact segment, all pretty reliable.  Go for some test drives..